• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke's StuH 42 and More...

The Duke's StuH 42

You're right, I had forgotten that and where it was posted. Yes, I'll be doing the two of them now, side by side. I hope to get some of that progress done today.

Thanks to Mike for posting the instructions for me for my StuH 42; I got the StuH 42 all completed and ready for paint. This one is sitting in my spray booth right now:

WIP_StuG_GB_VII.jpg

Afterward, I assembled the lower hull and the upper hull section and added the roadwheels on the StuG IV:

WIP_Steinmans_StuGs_II.jpg

I plan on getting the StuG IV to the painting stage so I can paint both of them at the same time. Stay tuned for more. Comments are always welcome.

Here is my latest progress on this little StuG IV. I finally managed to get it to the painting stage, just like the other one.

I was putting the gun on to my gun mount on the StuG IV. Well, the way the instructions explained how to do it was not clear, so I had to rip out the gun mount assembly to rebuild it. In the process of trying to re-position the two side pieces that are supposed to trap the gun so that it elevates; I lost one side. So, after looking for 45 minutes and finding nothing, I finally said "____ it!" and started to scratch a new side piece. Here it is sitting next to the one that I still had:

WIP_StuG_GB_VIII.jpg

It didn't need to be pretty, just functional...

Here's a shot after I rebuilt it:

WIP_StuG_GB_IX.jpg

Now it's holding the gun just fine:

WIP_StuG_GB_X.jpg

And one final shot of this model ready for paint:

WIP_StuG_GB_XI.jpg

That's all I got for now. I'll get paint on these when I can.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Thanks Bob! It's amazing what you can do when you just get tired of looking for a stupid piece that shouldn't have disappeared in the first place!

Always good to have some sheets of styrene, you never know when the carpet monster is there!

(y)
//Mats

After dealing with all the latest health issues; catching up on some work, and finally getting my life on a slightly more even keel, I managed to get quite a bit of time and productivity on the workbench.

I finally got the basecoat on these two StuG's I've had sitting around waiting for paint.

Here's my StuH42:

WIP_StuG_GB_XII.jpg

My StuG IV:

WIP_StuG_GB_XIII.jpg

Hopefully more to come soon. Stay tuned.

Okay, here it is a few months down the line and I finally have some progress done and a camera to document it!

I started out adding Silly Putty to my StuH42. Then I shot paint for the second color of a three-color pattern. Then I masked the StuH42 with more Silly Putty and shot the third color. Here are the results:

The StuH42 with all the Silly Putty removed:

WIP_StuG_GB_XV.jpg

WIP_StuG_GB_XVII.jpg

I need to add the dots for the ambush scheme on this, and then I'll be able to move on.

Next, I tried to do a freehand airbrush pattern of stripes on my StuG. My airbrush tip wasn't fine enough, nor was my paint and air ratio correct, so I screwed the pooch on this one:

WIP_StuG_GB_XIV.jpg

WIP_StuG_GB_XVI.jpg

Should be fairly easy to clear up.

Anyway, that's all I have to show for now. It sure felt good to get back to the workbench again. Hopefully I'll be able to make more progress tomorrow. Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are always welcome.

Good luck Mark, could try and thin that paint down some more, might be able to get a finer line and build up slowly.

Thanks MP. I did try to thin the paint. That was acrylic and it spiderwebbed across the model and ran along all the recesses. I think I'll stick with enamels; at least I know how they airbrush. I'm gonna check the tip on that one as well. Maybe I can make it a more fine tip.

The green was Model Master Acryl in the green-label bottles. That was the one that spidered the most. I did get it fixed a bit now, after getting more paint. I hope to have a bit more done later today after I return from work.

Well, after another marathon week this week, I have a little more progress to show on these. First off, I applied a clearcoat, decals and a wash on these two models:

WIP_StuG_GB_XVIII.jpg

WIP_StuG_GB_XIX.jpg

After this was dry, I shot a dullcoat on these and got some detail parts painted up on the StuG IV:

WIP_StuG_GB_XX.jpg

Later on, I added the tracks to the StuH-42:

WIP_Steinmans_StuGs_III.jpg

This one is now ready for some weathering and then I can call it done! I was hoping to finish the StuG IV at the same time, but I lost one of the two tracks for the StuG. All I can do is finish the details, weather it and wait until the other track shows up.

Thanks all for looking in, the next time I post, I'll be posting one of these in the Completed Thread.

Back