• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke's Fourth Attempt.

Duke Maddog

Even though I didn't think I could find anything to do that I could finish in time, I still decided to try again to finish one of these. Here is my submission for this campaign...

For this campaign, I'm going to build my Modelcollect T-80UM1 Main Battle Tank in 1/72 scale. Here's the Box and startup pic:

WIP_2018_MMM_I.jpg

WIP_2018_MMM_II.jpg

I started with the turret as indicated in the instructions. Here it is after completing one half of the assembly:

WIP_2018_MMM_III.jpg

This kit also received a metal barrel included in the kit. I decided to have another try at putting it on my tank. This time, I glued it to the mantlet first:

WIP_2018_MMM_IV.jpg

After that, I went back and completed the other side of the turret, completing the assembly as much as I dared. There are still some parts to add to this, but only after painting and final detailing:

WIP_2018_MMM_V.jpg

You can see that I fixed the smoke dischargers.

With all that done, I assembled the hull, added the torsion bars, wheels and other details. I even started the tracks before I remembered to take this pic:

WIP_2018_MMM_VII.jpg

I eventually managed to finish the tracks on one side of this for now:

WIP_2018_MMM_VIII.jpg

Okay, that's all for now. Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

I have had a bit of time lately to work on stuff so I focused on getting some campaigns done.... especially this one. Here is my progress so far....

As you recall, I had done most of the turret and hull. Looking at the turret, I noticed a lot of sink marks on the lower shielding on the turret. I applied a few dabs of Mr. Surfacer 500 to the sink holes and waited for it to dry:

WIP_2018_MMM_XII.jpg

It sanded out quite nicely afterward....

I also finished almost all the fiddly bits and such for the hull and turret in preparation for P/E:

WIP_2018_MMM_IX.jpg

WIP_2018_MMM_X.jpg

WIP_2018_MMM_XI.jpg

You can see that I used the metal barrel this time. It glued far better than the previous T-80 barrel did.

Here it is after I added all the P/E to it:

WIP_2018_MMM_XIII.jpg

WIP_2018_MMM_XIV.jpg

WIP_2018_MMM_XV.jpg

Finally this was ready for paint. Into the "spray booth" it went, getting it's first basecoat of primer to seal the P/E and allow the paint to stick to it:

WIP_2018_MMM_XVI.jpg

When that was sufficiently dry, I shot the base coat of green on this:

WIP_2018_MMM_XVII.jpg

Afterward I completed the camouflage pattern:

WIP_2018_MMM_XVIII.jpg

WIP_2018_MMM_XIX.jpg

The black lines are still shiny in these pics....

A gloss coat later and this was sporting it's number after I applied the decals:

WIP_2018_MMM_XX.jpg

I also applied a wash to this. Then I shot a dullcoat when it was dry again. Afterward I weathered this, dusting it up a bit with some Russian Earth Brown:

WIP_2018_MMM_XXI.jpg

WIP_2018_MMM_XXII.jpg

All that was left was to install the machine gun on top and it was done!

YES!!! I FINALLY DID IT! FOUR ATTEMPTS AND I

FINALLY FINISHED A MICRO MODELING MONTH CAMPAIGN!!!!

Here's the proof with date and time showing:

2018_Micro_Modeling_Month.jpg

The rest of the pics are in the Campaign Completed Models thread....

Well done Mark, that's a great little tank.

Plenty of time to spare, 8 hours, you could have finished another one :D

Laurence

Thanks Bob! It was getting close though....

Well done Mark, that's a great little tank.

Plenty of time to spare, 8 hours, you could have finished another one :D

Laurence

You're a scream Lawrence! :rotf :geek I was lucky to get this one done in a month! Then again, it was a Modelcollect tank. If I'd chosen a Modelcollect eight-wheeled Russian truck, I'd still be fighting the suspension!

Thanks Dave! I'm glad to see you stop in.

Now I gotta get my ribbons, I hope I remember how to add them. It's been awhile since I earned one.... :facepalm

I have had a bit of time lately to work on stuff so I focused on getting some campaigns done.... especially this one. Here is my progress so far....

As you recall, I had done most of the turret and hull. Looking at the turret, I noticed a lot of sink marks on the lower shielding on the turret. I applied a few dabs of Mr. Surfacer 500 to the sink holes and waited for it to dry:

WIP_2018_MMM_XII.jpg

It sanded out quite nicely afterward....

I also finished almost all the fiddly bits and such for the hull and turret in preparation for P/E:

WIP_2018_MMM_IX.jpg

WIP_2018_MMM_X.jpg

WIP_2018_MMM_XI.jpg

You can see that I used the metal barrel this time. It glued far better than the previous T-80 barrel did.

Here it is after I added all the P/E to it:

WIP_2018_MMM_XIII.jpg

WIP_2018_MMM_XIV.jpg

WIP_2018_MMM_XV.jpg

Finally this was ready for paint. Into the "spray booth" it went, getting it's first basecoat of primer to seal the P/E and allow the paint to stick to it:

WIP_2018_MMM_XVI.jpg

When that was sufficiently dry, I shot the base coat of green on this:

WIP_2018_MMM_XVII.jpg

Afterward I completed the camouflage pattern:

WIP_2018_MMM_XVIII.jpg

WIP_2018_MMM_XIX.jpg

The black lines are still shiny in these pics....

A gloss coat later and this was sporting it's number after I applied the decals:

WIP_2018_MMM_XX.jpg

I also applied a wash to this. Then I shot a dullcoat when it was dry again. Afterward I weathered this, dusting it up a bit with some Russian Earth Brown:

WIP_2018_MMM_XXI.jpg

WIP_2018_MMM_XXII.jpg

All that was left was to install the machine gun on top and it was done!

Duke, that is some awesome kit there! i have been impatiently waiting for a version to come out in 1/35, but seeing this makes me consider this one as a possibility, I especially like that a 1/72 kit can have a metal barrel!

Ian, I do recommend Modelcollect models. They are fast and easy to assemble. Sometimes there's delicacy issues, but overall these are great. Give it a try sometime. If you do get one,. be sure to glue the metal barrel into the mantlet first before adding it to the turret. That way, you can be sure it'll stay in at the angle and position that you want it.

Back