• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke on the Tracks!

Well as this Campaign has ended, I'll need this Thread moved to Second Chances. Man, even with a year's worth of time to finish most of these, I still can't finish one!

This weekend I went to Hobby Day Friday and Saturday determined to get a lot more done on my two Russian armored trains among other models. I made some pretty good progress, especially on the trains. I also took Dora to get any repairs done on her that happened on the trip back home from Columbus.

First off, I decided to pull out all the flatcars and get the beds of them completed. Here's all the ones I was able to get done so far:

WIP_OnRRTracksGB_XIX.jpg

While those were drying, I pulled out the OB-3 train and assembled the engine and tender since I had already assembled both armored railcars that go with this train:

WIP_OnRRTracksGB_XX.jpg

This is what was in the model box for this train. It is still not complete as it is supposed to have a couple flatcars on the front and back:

WIP_OnRRTracksGB_XXI.jpg

Later on, I pulled out all the flatcars and tried to get them all assembled to the P/E stage. I got about half of them done, due to extensive ejector pin marks that needed filling; and some missing parts that were most likely left at home. Here's as far as I got:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XII.jpg

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XIII.jpg

Next, I decided to start assembling a couple of the payloads for two of these flatcars. One flatcar is carrying an artillery piece and a truck that mounts a quad Maxim in the truck bed. I started on that truck and got as far as the chassis before I needed to move on:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XVI.jpg

After that, I started the second payload: a BT-5 light tank. I assembled the turret and hull first:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XVII.jpg

Next I added the roadwheels to be sure the suspension was sitting right:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XVIII.jpg

This one will be finished with the tracks sitting on top of the fenders like the Russians did when transporting these tanks by rail. Here is how it will look:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XIX.jpg

Now these two trains are starting to take shape. The first one; the OB-3, will have the two short flatcars on the front and back of it. Only one is shown here as the other short flatcar wasn't completed yet:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XIV.jpg

The second train, the "Fascism Fighter", will have the long flatcar carrying the artillery piece and truck in the very front; followed by a long flatcar with an "AA tower". In back, it will have another long flatcar with an "AA tower". I'll possibly tack the flatcar with the BT-5 at the end of this train. Here it is with two of the long flatcars that will have the "AA towers" on them:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XV.jpg

Okay, that's all I have for now. This coming week I may be too busy to get much done but I'll keep you posted once I do have some progress to show. Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Well despite my best efforts; it looks like I won't get this badge after all! I may be able to finish in time, but I'm seriously beginning to doubt it. Until I know for sure, here's my latest progress on my Russian Armored Trains.

First off, I finished the second short flatcar so that I had both of them done and ready for P/E:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XX.jpg

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XXI.jpg

And here's a shot of the two of them side-by-side so you can see I did actually build two:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XXIa.jpg

Next, since I had three long flatcars completed to the P/E stage, it was time to finish the rest of them. I did finish up two more, to make this five finished flatcars. Here's the first one:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XXII.jpg

And the second one:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XXIII.jpg

I wanted to finish all six of these, but I couldn't find the sixth one. All it needs are the upper sidewalls and end pieces too. Oh well, here are the five of them all side-by-side so you can see them all:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XXV.jpg

Next, I decided that the truck chassis for the one flatcar needed to have the upper part completed so that I could finish the truck. I assembled most of the cab; only leaving the rest off until I can paint the interior of the cab and add the windows:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XXIV.jpg

Next I built the bed of the truck:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XXIVa.jpg

Here's what I built all dry-fit together to see how it will look:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XXIVb.jpg

Finally, here's a shot of all the flatcars I got to the P/E stage:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_XXVa.jpg

Yeah, now it's time for adding the P/E to all these train cars and engines. That will take several days; I'll probably wait until Hobby Day to do this. Meanwhile, I can continue to build the truck, gun and tank for two of these flatcars.

Okay, I hope to get more progress on these trains soon so stay tuned. Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Back