• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Testors Sturmtiger Complete!!!

Testors Sturmtiger

Hmm, very good point.

Problem is weathering is one of the many things I just dont know how to do much of anything w/, and I'm always scared to just totally hose the model. I guess I should start looking at the various SBS's that are around.

Testors Sturmtiger

Ha, I know, the times I thought I over did weathering, they turned out great.

Testors Sturmtiger

Made a decent amount of progress on my build this weekend. Had some set backs dealing w/ the paint, but still made progress.

Got the base color down, and then this afternoon I got the 2nd color down. Not 100% sure I like it, I think it might need more of the 2nd color but I wont know for sure until the 3rd is down and I see it.

I have some places I have to touch up that I missed when painting, but its a start at least. Thinking about going w/ a similar pattern as what I used on my Flakpanzer. It had a 3 color scheme, and then I went back and dotted the camo w/ the same 3 colors , and I really liked how it came out, and I've found a few pictures of Sturmtigers painted the same way.

Base is MM Acryl Panzer Dunkelgelb, and the Greenish Blue is Panzer Olivgrun. Hopefully tomorrow evening I can put down the 3rd color, and then start deciding where i want to go from there.

Sturmtiger-031_zpsbbb8dbb6.jpg

Sturmtiger-034_zps4395580a.jpg

I also got the painting started on the tracks. Paint is Model Master Rust. I'll then go back w/ MM Oiled Steel and dry brush the tracks real good. Not sure whether this is an accurate way to paint the tracks, but I like the finished look, so I decided to go this route.

Sturmtiger-037_zpsbab69006.jpg

Testors Sturmtiger

Another productive day!

Managed to get the 3rd color down tonight, and I have to say I'm liking the look now. Last night I really wasnt sure, but the 3rd color helped bring it together I think.

Sturmtiger-041_zpseedc84a1.jpg

Sturmtiger-044_zps5bd16df9.jpg

Unfortunately I've got a fair amount of overspray, but I think that once I start putting the filters & washes down, as well as do the dot painting that the scheme gets, it will kind of go away and not be as noticeable.

I also managed to start dry brushing the tracks, and I really like the result. As mentioned previously, the base coat is Testors MM Rust. I then started dry brushing w/ MM Oiled Steel. I'm very happy w/ how the first one has turned out. Once down, I'll seal both, and then go back w/ a detail wash of some kind to help tone it down a bit, as well as bring out the detail more.

Sturmtiger-038_zpsc0eb7281.jpg

Sturmtiger-040_zps171fae04.jpg

I've started thinking that I might mount this one on the base I started when I finished up my Flakpanzer. I think b/c this is a larger vehicle, it would look better on the base, but we'll see.

Testors Sturmtiger

Small update.

Finished getting the tracks dry brushed tonight. Very happy w/ how they look so far. Going to let them dry for a few days before I clear them, and then the detail wash and other weathering can begin.

Sturmtiger-045_zps907a56ab.jpg

Testors Sturmtiger

Need to tone the rust down with an oil wash, German tracks don't rust due to the high manganese content. :soldier

Testors Sturmtiger

I thought it was something like that, I couldnt remember which side it was that had tracks w/ a metal content in it that wouldnt rust, but I thought it looked good, so I went w/ it, haha.

Tomorrow night I'll probably hit evertyhing w/ future, and then I'll start doing oil washes to tone things down and blend it together.

Testors Sturmtiger

More progress!

After the updates of the last post, I went through and added dots of the camo color all over the tank to help give it more color, and markings that I'm assuming that would better help to break up the profile of the tank in combat. I then hit it w/ 3 good coats of Future to seal it all up.

Sturmtiger-048_zpsd21a4cd1.jpg

Sturmtiger-050_zps690fea90.jpg

Sturmtiger-051_zpsd2c4d9c9.jpg

After the Future dried for 3 or 4 days I hit it w/ a coat of Model Master Black Wash to help bring out the details. And thankfully I remembered to apply the decals prior to the start of weathering (all 2 of them). My last armor build, I forgot to apply the decals until after I was done weathering.

Sturmtiger-058_zps2afef371.jpg

Sturmtiger-060_zps82c21f05.jpg

From here, I think I may put the MIG Filter down one more time, to blend things some more, and then I was thinking about doing an oil paint dot filter to try get some of the directional streaking the vehicles get when they get dirty. And then around the end of the gun, I'm thinking about over thinning some black paint, and carefully spraying it around the end of the barrel to give the appearance of soot from the rockets being fired.

I've also managed to pretty much finish up the tracks, unless anyone has any suggestions on where to go from here.

Sturmtiger-064_zps5c00b89e.jpg

Sturmtiger-065_zps00395438.jpg

Sturmtiger-066_zps325c1a8a.jpg

Testors Sturmtiger

Interesting paint job but I have not noticed anyone else with shinny tanks before . What's up with this one ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Testors Sturmtiger

Lovely job

I think a wash of black on those tracks would be perfectly adequate to tone it down a bit

But it looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (y) (y) (y)

In answer to Christians question,...... its all futured up

Testors Sturmtiger

Thanks guys. Yea, I think I might give an oil wash a try on the tracks to tone it down some more.

And Christian, like Andy said, its got Future on it. I put it on to seal the acrylic paints I used. Once the weathering is done I'll flat coat it.

Testors Sturmtiger

Some great progress was made this morning. I decided it was time to do the oil paint dot filter.

Started out by laying out 5 or 6 colors all over the place.

Sturmtiger-067_zps1144552c.jpg

Sturmtiger-069_zpsc3796992.jpg

And then I blended it all together, and I'm extremely happy w/ how it came out. It looks a lot dirtier and battle worn to me.

Sturmtiger-071_zpsab79048a.jpg

Sturmtiger-073_zps796fab86.jpg

Sturmtiger-074_zps54f07eba.jpg

At this point about all I have left that I've planned on, is trying to put some paint on the end of the barrel to look like soot, and possibly attempt some rust streaks and some chipping, but I dont know yet. I'll have to check out some SBS's on chipping and rust streaking.

Testors Sturmtiger

Looking good. Personally I dont go for the chipping and rusting. As for the barrel I use a burnt sienna chalk pastel and scrape some powder off. Then I use a qtip to put it on. It gives a nice residue look and also stains the paint darker so it looks hot. Maybe also if you use a black or burnt sienna or some similar dark oil wash on the tracks it will tone them down some. Looking good (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Back