• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

TBF-1C Avenger

Thanks all!

Got the turkey painted, gloss coat and decals on last evening. Taking pics with time stamps. Will update on the weekend.

had a terrible time with the paint sticking to the plastic. I washed the model a few times and still had paint peel when I tried to mask off the body for the three colour scheme. As a result, had to do it free hand and repaint several areas. that took a bit of time. Not sure what the problem was. I was using Model master paints which work well for me before.

Also had trouble with the decals. I am doing "white 81" and they are Techmod decals. They break very easily (the large ones anyway) but surprisingly the small ones are very robust. I had several stencils that folded up on themselves and then I had to tease them apart with foreceps to get them back in shape!

List to do tonight:

Panel wash and some weathering
hopefully get a dull cote on
add the wheels
yagi antennae
sliding canopies
few final details to paint on the body
rig a wire antenna

I am going to try to have it all finished tonight but might have to take a photo finish with time stamp tomorrow and then post later!

:soldier :soldier

Just some update pics from the last couple days!

Painting the white

Dark sea blue

Intermediate blue. Was trying to mask this off with a hard demarcation line but the paint kept peeling so I free hand painted it. this colouration really reminds me of a mako shark! I like it!

wings on! One nice thing about this kit is that it was much easier to paint with all the wings off, then assembling it after the fact. Very well engineered in that sense!

stickers!! :vmad

The final dull cote!

Wow, and it's done ! (y) (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

yes, and it only cost me some much needed sleep and added a few grey hairs!

Nice kit but it certainly did have its issues!

Don't worry, that gray hair will blend in soon :) I agree with you comment about the shark . I have always thought that.
Also the same idea for the paint on the Mako corvette of long ago.

Cheers, Christian B)

Wow, and it's done ! (y) (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

yes, and it only cost me some much needed sleep and added a few grey hairs!

Nice kit but it certainly did have its issues!

Don't worry, that gray hair will blend in soon :) I agree with you comment about the shark . I have always thought that.
Also the same idea for the paint on the Mako corvette of long ago.

Cheers, Christian B)

I remember that mako vette! Very nice!

I had always thought the American tri-colour scheme was a little on the boring side but now after actually building a kit and painting, it is really nice! Might have to do another aircraft in that scheme! Maybe one of my Catalinas!

Beautiful job, Warren- Congrats! That tricolor scheme is my fave US option. Oh, gray hair's nothing- wait till all falls out! I suggest trying an old ICM Ural 4320 kit- you'll see! :drinks

Beautiful job, Warren- Congrats! That tricolor scheme is my fave US option. Oh, gray hair's nothing- wait till all falls out! I suggest trying an old ICM Ural 4320 kit- you'll see! :drinks

Chuk and I have transparent hair, Warren. Don't worry about the gray stuff. The turkey looks ace.

Lovely. I hope my Dauntless turns out half as well. :drinks

Just keep the side w/ the broken decal turned towards the wall...no one will be any wiser. ;)

Thanks Chuk!

Had a look at that Ural kit online. Looks like a lot of small parts!!!

Chuk and I have transparent hair, Warren. Don't worry about the gray stuff. The turkey looks ace.

Thanks Paul!

It was fun! I see you got a new one now with your latest haul!!

Lovely. I hope my Dauntless turns out half as well. :drinks

Just keep the side w/ the broken decal turned towards the wall...no one will be any wiser. ;)

Thanks!

Trouble is, the other side is only slightly better!

:laugh:

Back