• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya's 1/48th Spitfire Vb COMPLETED 2/16/10

G Cooper

Well I got this a week or two ago, and now I decided it was time to bang it together to give me a break from staring at my Monroe Perdue Group Build Pz IV :unsure: .

All I can say is these kits are EASY, and quick. Just right for taking a very short one or two day change of pace from the Monroe Perdue Group Build ;) .

002_20100204_1862904786.jpg

004_20100204_1231981389.jpg

006_20100204_1583080862.jpg

007_20100204_1958414017.jpg

I really can't say enough about the fit of these kits. And the detail is really pretty good out of the box. Especially if you are going to keep the canopy closed, as they have most of the basic stuff in there. I have been thinking about taking one of them and really going to town with it and dressing it up to the max. But for now, they are a great diversion for me for a quick short build that will end up sitting on a shelf looking all pretty and stuff :laugh: .

Gary B)

Re: Tamiya's 1/48th Spitfire Vb

Very nice start! I suspect by the time the cockpit is closed up this sink marks will be out of view, you're right not to waste time on them.

Re:Tamiya's 1/48th Spitfire Vb

Hiya Moon Pup.

I suspect not ;) . But I think I will let you be the judge of wheather or not you can see any sink marks :S

008_20100204_1694234677.jpg

009_20100204_1409067849.jpg

010_20100204_1937834396.jpg

011_20100204_1381362199.jpg

012_20100204_1485821623.jpg

My feeling on sinkmarks is "if you can't see em, they don't exist" :laugh: .
Next is the job of removing those 4 silly wing strakes and some radiator and landing gear work.

Now it's the first star on the left, and on till morning.

Gary B)

O.K. So here we are after the Super Bowl with almost :whistle: nothing to do around here. So I decided to finish this up this week. Here is a first for me also. I have decided to try this pre shadeing that a lot of people are all wild and excited about, just to see if it is a worthwile amount of effort.

001_20100208_2002746358.jpg

002_20100208_1261026422.jpg

003_20100208_1819620609.jpg

Most of the construction is finished, and mixing the colors and starting to put down the layers of color will begin next. So hopefully there will be paint and more photos tomorrow.

Gary B)

Nice work, Gary. The Spittie's my fav airplane of all time, with the 109 running in 2nd. I've not built a plane in about 16 years, but I've heard good things of the Tamigawa Spitties - then again, I haven't listened too carefully :laugh:

You have been busy, never mind what I said about priorities. Get this Spit done!

Thanks Rudi. I can not speak for the Hasegawa Spits, but this Tamiya Spit kit goes together like buckets and water. Just a perfect fit everywhere, especially on my back patio right now :laugh:

Moon Puppy, there is no worry or hurry with this kit. There are less than 60 pieces to the whole thing. And I aint doing anything extra to it except a quick set of seatbelts and maybe a wire or two for the brake lines. So it should be done by the end of this weekend.

Gary B)

And now I continue the painting experiment with mixed results :S .

001_20100211_1704868124.jpg

002_20100211_1738645486.jpg

003_20100211_1899617010.jpg

I don't know if it is the darker color, thicker paint/thinner mix, or just me putting more paint down, but the preshade all dissapeared on the upper surface under the Ocean Grey, but it is still there on the lower area (right where just about 0 people will ever see it :angry: ). I am going to mix up some RAF Dark Green right now and finish the base color for this sweet little kit. Be back later today with what it ends up looking like.

Gary B)

Hi Laura.

You know that every time I build an airplane kit it always amazes me how much detail the kit manufacturers put into the panel lines on the bottom of the plane (where the aforementiond 0 people will see it), and then leave the top so comparatively barren. It almost seems like they start on the bottom of the wing, and then run out of energy when they get to the top parts, and just rush it through to get it finished.

Gary B)

It is really amazing how much time this part takes to get done :unsure: .

All puttied up, and ready for the last color to go on (I hope).

004_20100211_1750789942.jpg

The next installment should be along very shortly :cheer: .

Gary B)

Well I guess it is shortly already :laugh:

Here she is all brand spanking fresh off the factory floor new. :cheer:

005_20100211_1692441806.jpg

006_20100211_1192994589.jpg

007_20100211_1575277634.jpg

008_20100211_1126456888.jpg

009_20100211_1352168915.jpg

013_20100211_1667258187.jpg

011_20100211_1291994359.jpg

012_20100211_1431739977.jpg

016_20100211_2090928782.jpg

Other than the canopy and the antena wire (which are always the last two things I do on an airplane) construction is finished. I think :ermm: . I still haven't decided if I am going to cover the machine gun ports with tape, or have them open with some brass gun barrels peeking out of the ports, with the tape blasted away like she just landed after a sortie :idonno . But I have a day or two to think about that. Next up she is going to get a serious coat of future, then it's all about decals and a wash. Then I begin the weathering. Ohh, and I also gotta sand down those tires so she isn't standing on her tip toes like a ballerina :lol:

And I have to say that I am still interested in the pre shading idea. I am convinced that with some practice it can give me some very nice results. I noticed that as I was putting the green on, I was really getting the hang of putting lite coats on and the effect was pretty nice. It is just that I think that my pre shade was a bit heavy and to broad over the panel lines. And the Ocean Grey coat I put on I was just blasting away, adn wiped it all out. Because of that, even though I was paying more attention to what I was doing with the green I went ahead and completely covered it with the green also, because I didn't want such differing effects on the green as opposed to the grey. So next wingy thingy I try I will do it again, but with a much finer pre shade, and paying more attention on the final color coats.

Gary B)

Hey, how do I missed this one! Your Spit looks great, Gary.

and eiiiiiiiiiiiiks, whats that almost pink stuff which looks like used chewing gum, you have used for masking?

Well, preshading ... I found that you end up painting almost panel by panel, if you want to achieve those results you so often see - not my favor when looking at planes, but that's just me.

What in the world was that putty?

Looking really good here Gary. And for what it's worth, I have never gotten a preshade to work, don't know why, just hasn't happened.

It looks like Silly Putty.

Gary, am I right? You don't need to answer since the affirmative will only 'date' you (the younger generations may not know Silly Putty).

By the way Gary, can you get a Sharkmouth on her?

Regards,

Hi Guys. Thanks for looking and the comments help keep me moving on this with all the encouragment.

And as for the mysterious "bubble gum" substance. It came from the planet Ork and landed in my back yard, the first thing it said to me was "nanu nanu"

005_20100212_1045126852.jpg

It is great stuff for all kinds of things, besides making copies of the sunday funny papers :laugh: . And now I wonder how many people (besides Saul and I) (did you all notice the proper English there :woohoo: ) know about this stuff :hmmm

Gary B)

Nanu nanu, Mork from Ork (young Robin Williams) ya had to go and make me date myself as an old fart! :P

Anyway, I went online and checked. It is still sold. Only $1.98 list price. Ace Hardware in the states has them.

Regards,

sharkmouth wrote:
Nanu nanu, Mork from Ork (young Robin Williams) ya had to go and make me date myself as an old fart! :P

Anyway, I went online and checked. It is still sold. Only $1.98 list price. Ace Hardware in the states has them.

Regards,

Well so long as you are not using the term "Verilly Ye Olde Fart" you are not that old yet :laugh:

And out here on the Left Coast the mystery putty of the ancients :pinch: is availabe at places like Toy's R Us for the aforementiond $1.98. I would suggest at least two of them, as like everything else, they don't actually fill the egg anymore, it's a little less than half full :angry: .

The dollar store has it... (For a dollar). :eek:hmy:
Sometimes they get 3 packs... (for a dollar). :blink
I've bought a bunch and dumped it off at our Friday modeling
hangout... Don't know if it's been used yet, but it's there. :huh:

Gary,
First off, the bottom always looks better, so the AA guns can
see it before they shoot it down. (Right Laura)??? ;)

Great build so far... I was wondering what happened to the
pretty purple color? :pinch: I thought maybe that was what color you
were going to keep it? :evil: :S

Seriously it's looking great. I don't build many planes, but the guys
swear by Tamiya A/C... Schmere (spelling) is another story.
Fred says that if you haven't built a Schmere or old Lindberg kit
you're not a real modeler... (I've got a few Old Lindberg kits
under my belt, so I'm ok... :woohoo:

Keep posting pics... It really does look great even if you won't
see the shading or underside...

It needs more battle damage as far as I can see, but that's just me.
:hmmm :duh :D
Shawn

shawngehling wrote:
The dollar store has it... (For a dollar). :eek:hmy:
Sometimes they get 3 packs... (for a dollar). :blink

Schmere (spelling) is another story.
Fred says that if you haven't built a Schmere or old Lindberg kit
you're not a real modeler...

Hmmm, I better go visit some Dollar Stores then! My son will like one egg and I will have the other two!

I think you meant Ṡmer from the Czech Republic. Difficult to build is true. Lindberg, built a PT-109 from them and some animals as well for my son. Enjoyed them.

Regards,

Back