• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Kingtiger Porsche Turret

Kreighshoer

yupp! i build a kingtiger!

how does one make me build a kingtiger?

easy!

send me a set of atak zimmerit for the tamiya kingtiger and tell me that you know of the existence of at least two grey kingtiger with porsche turret!

well, that works when your name is lawrence quah and are famous to be a walking encyclopedia!

over the years, lawrence has gained a legendary reputation when details are discussed! his fundus of pictures is gigantic and his research is always on spot!

my faith in lawrence's words goes that far that when he - and only he - tells me of the existence of a pink panther i believe him!

ok so far for justifying myself to build a kingtiger!

The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go

now to the kit: typical tamiya! awesome fit and flying together! but sadly also omitting some important details!

the atak zimmerit is wonderful and easy to work with! the only part i wasn't happy with was the molded on cupola on the replacement turret! casted from the tamiya turret (and slightly improved regarding the size) the cupola leaves the vision slots empty! those who weren't a solid block!

unacceptable!

the tamiya turret being the same mess i had to scratch my head! ... bingooo! i still have a cannibalized dml kingtiger with porsche turret laying aroung!

so i sawed away the atak turret and replaced it with the dml one! having made a bad mistake back then when i built that one i had to improvise the hatch area, fill it and cut away the ring that holds the hatch:

kuppel_20100618_1945536958.jpg

i also added the loader vision block (not visible)

after i was done with the turret i had to focus on the RO and driver compartment cover! the three lifting hooks are missing in the tamiya kit as well as the locking hook thingies! i carefully cut away the latter and glued them in place! 2/3 of the lifting hooks sadly snipped away from my dml wreck so i had to improvise and cut two new ones and glued them in ... no good ... searched the spares box and found several others, not quite matching but better than nothing!

and as always with tamiya the armored power cable for the notek light was missing also, the dml one not fitting so i took floral wire and bent myself a new one:

front_20100618_1803280166.jpg

and that's where the kitten stands now:

links1_20100618_1435756761.jpg

next will be all the roadwheels and evaluating if i will glue on the tracks or go with the wire method!

g060.gif

Hi Laura!
It looks is very tasty :woohoo: With pleasure I will spy upon construction :) My following construction will be same + PE Voyager and Aber :)

:laugh: Sweet you is started it :laugh:

Hmmm The clash :unsure: Surely the best song is this with a slight change of words :laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16u0wwCfoJ4

I fought with Laura and Laura won ;) :mpup

Listen to it and it fits too .

Did you ever see Young Einstein ?

Jenny :kiss:

Cool stuff Laura. So who used the Grey King Tigers? I'll watch this one as I like this big old beast.
James

thank you very much everybody! :)

jenny - no, i have never seen young einstein! :blush:

jknaus wrote:
So who used the Grey King Tigers?

have an educated guess james! ;)

progress - running gear is done! i'm really glad that this task is over! i hated it!

of course i made a mistake! of course! i thought it was a clever move to mask off the axle arms and paint the end caps on the sprue! WRONG! cutting them off, bluetacking them on the arms and painting them in place would have been way much better! it just caused me extra work!

the wheels were a pain to paint! i cut them off, sticked them on tape, primed them, preshaded them and painted them in grey! and that on two sides! blaaaaaaaaarggs!

after having finished them i silvered the rims and ask myself what for ... nothing is visible if not checked out closely!

my personal nemesis were the tracks! i did them like i always do vinyl tracks - glued them together and then clamped them overnight so that the glue is completely dry and the track rock solid! this time the glue attacked one track and it broke into! *yawn*

so i took some copper wire and tried to fix it! try to find the repaired track guys! ;)

after that they received five (!) coats of different opaque and transparent colors plus a drybrushing with gun metal ... what for? nothing! again almost nothing is visible in the photos! marfp!

Heroes Del Silencio - Entre Dos Tierras

runninggeardone3_20100621_1429875651.jpg

runninggeardone4_20100621_1704290736.jpg

runninggeardone2_20100621_1950597733.jpg

runninggeardone1_20100621_1909973609.jpg

g060.gif

Hi, Laura. Interesting approach indeed, a gray King Tiger. That's gonna keep me tuned, as it is one of my favorites'. Being a one tone vehicle it should offer you some decent options concerning the weathering, as it was not the case with my wavy three tone KT. Keep up the good work. :ro:

JSteinman wrote:
Looks good so far, any chance we can see the pictures of the grey kitties?

nope! sorry!

lawrence told me that the pics are part of a private collection and that the owner doesn't want them to be published in the internet or anywhere else!

i had to respect that!

but i trust lawrence blind eyed when it's about info like that!

like said in my opening post - if he told me of the existence of a pink panther i'd believe him!

Wow !

This is a really super suprise indeed. Before you know it Laura will be doing a Whitman Tiger I. And if all it takes is a photo, I could show you some photos of airplanes that are painted dark grey :unsure: .

But this is looking really cool.And I can hardly wait to see all the cool stuff you are going to do to this big beast before it is finished.

Gary B)

Okay I think I narrowed it down Is it schwere Panzer Abteilung 503 in the Ardennes? I've looked everywhere I can think on the net and looked at all my books on heavies and thats the best I can find.
James

Hi Laura,

this is perfect mighty job.
One guestion: you make it on panzer grey?? I thing all KT were in dark yellow.
If I gammon mistakes, my apologies.

Cheers.
Pavel

Hi Laura.

Good subject , but are you and Lawrence sure that those grey King Tigers had zimmerit?
They were found at a proving ground ( the name escapes me sorry ) and used a test vehicles.

I saw a picture once of one of these beasts and I can't remember if they had zimmerit.

Cheers

Kristof

Pavel Zabák wrote:
One guestion: you make it on panzer grey?? I thing all KT were in dark yellow

yupp! grey! not all kingtigers were yellow! two were grey and from december 20th 1944 on the base color of german tanks was green! :)

Kristof Pulinckx wrote:
Good subject , but are you and Lawrence sure that those grey King Tigers had zimmerit?

well - the porsche turret kingtigers were produced while zimmerit was still applied so it would be logical that the one i'm building has zimmerit!

Kristof Pulinckx wrote:
They were found at a proving ground ( the name escapes me sorry ) and used a test vehicles.

haustenbeck testing grounds! :)

[hide]Kristof Pulinckx wrote:
I saw a picture once of one of these beasts and I can't remember if they had zimmerit.

thanks to your posting i finally found the pictures myself in the internet! for months now i hadn't even thought of performing a picture googlesearch with the keywords "haustenbeck", "tiger" and "color"

found them on http://worldwartwozone.com - i'm glad that they can be found in the internet with a simple search with the correct keywords! great! the only thing besides the fact of grey paint i knew was that it was a haustenbeck tiger!

Haustenbeck_in_Colour_3_-_JT_KT_-1.jpg

Haustenbeck_in_Colour_1_-_JT_KT_-1.jpg

it cannot be clearly said if they have a coat of zimmerit but the grey is clearly visible! i presume that it's grey zinc primer, that's why i went with straight tamiya grey for paint![/hide]

Okay so my educated guess wasn't even close. Cool find Laura. Did you see this also? I dont know if it was one of the ones you are doing, but might be of interest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaXKEsVqHFg
James

Back