• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/48 P-47D-5

jeaton01

I'm going to do this one as Bud Mahurin's airplane, the second option in the kit. I read his bio not long ago. A very nice kit. I used the decal for the instrument panel and it could have settled down better but looks OK since you cant see it very well. All else is going swimmingly. The windscreen has a different fit than usual on this model, it fits down in the fuselage, not on top so I had to take care to get it in correctly, and the slightest bit of trimming was needed on the fuselage right at the front of the V shaped opening. No gaps anywhere so far.

I put an Alclad dull aluminum undercoat on and later topped that with Alclad Gloss clear, which I find gives me a good chipping base so I can use toothpicks and dental tools without fear of going through to the plastic. The paint is some Model Master Neutral Grey and 3 different OD's on it now. Hataka C004 OD 41, Humbrol 66 OD, and Model Master Faded Olive Drab.

00110p47.jpg
00710p47.jpg
00810p47.jpg
01010p47.jpg
01110p47.jpg
01410p47.jpg
01310p47.jpg

Wow! If you want better decals, let me know as I have a lot left over from the sheets I bought to get my 'faces.' Some are out of production decals with superb instructions. Such a nice kit deserves it and I know you'll use them!

Back