• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/48 A-1H Skyraider - Finished

Tamiya 1/48 A-1H Skyraider

Thanks for the info Ian and Bob, will use the two 2000 pounders on the inner pylons, yes everything except the ''toilet bomb!! but that was used after so many pounds of bombs that were dropped, thanks guys.

I think Paul is going to do that version soon

Sure the Navy has/had Napalm weapons. It was used from Carriers against Tinian and Iwo Jima. Napalm was not used as a weapon from fuel tanks, no way to install a fuse unless it's jerryrigged, and that's not something you want to jerryrig. The current weapon is the Mk77 but I don't think that is what was used when I was a loader. Maybe Barney can shake out the cobwebs and reember what the canister was that delivered Napalm (technically it was not napalm in Vietnam but another brand, effects were pretty much the same)

So it's got a really good load out option, everything but the toilet huh?

Are you referring to FAE Bob? sort of like the big daisy cutters?

No I was talking about the actual brand name of Napalm. Napalm is used as a generic term but the original product that DOW created hasn't been used in a long time. Probably just slipping hairs over terminology. You gotta remember I'm doing drugs over here... :blink :gogo :popcorn

No I was talking about the actual brand name of Napalm. Napalm is used as a generic term but the original product that DOW created hasn't been used in a long time. Probably just slipping hairs over terminology. You gotta remember I'm doing drugs over here... :blink :gogo :popcorn

Bob, did the real Napalm come in the containers ( bombs ) that were actually dropped ?

One of my Marines buddy talked about mixing the stuff in the field . The containers used to drop it was no much more than an oval container with no fins. Just tumbled after release .

Cheers, Christian B)

Bob, did the real Napalm come in the containers ( bombs ) that were actually dropped ?

One of my Marines buddy talked about mixing the stuff in the field . The containers used to drop it was no much more than an oval container with no fins. Just tumbled after release .

Cheers, Christian B)

I really can't remember Chris, I never saw the stuff, course had to study it but what I remember was a munition. I think that someone, (not loaders) had to fill the weapon up with gas to make it napalm.

Thanks Gary, I've been looking around on google and just can't find a comprehensive list of weapons, wish I didn't chunk my study guides 30 years ago. BLU 27 doesn't ring a bell but there's a lot of cobwebs up there nowadays..

So now we've hijacked Phil's thread I wonder if we can talk him into hanging some napalm on this build? :pilot

Great discussion guys, Gary those are Sweet! want them in 48th now!!!

So now we've hijacked Phil's thread I wonder if we can talk him into hanging some napalm on this build?

how about -

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/bmz_cache/c/c4e060f614c6ea71970510e77e7c3e9a.image.950x866.jpg

would these be correct for this build?

look here, how accurate this is I have no idea, .12 in and if you can pause at 1.10 (1.30 is a good view) lo and behold, the raider is decked out in the same bee stinger markings as the one I'm doing!!..Guess this is the one I run across on searches at your airshows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T6_bpLwTrc

Where I'm at, all paint Tamiya rattlecans.

DSC_1304a.jpg~original

initial exhaust staining
DSC_1306a.jpg~original

DSC_1305a.jpg~original

DSC_1307a.jpg~original

DSC_1309a.jpg~original

DSC_1308a.jpg~original

Wonderful painting job , Phil!...photos super clear...like them :good: ...btw, are you using macro lenses?

Luiz

Looking great so far Phil (y) , one of these days I need to get out of my WWII rut and build some kits from the Korea thru Viet Nam era.

I will be following along for sure, has I just received this kit. I am waiting for the aftermarket parts to arrive, and need to finish my KV-1 build, then I will be starting mine. I appreciate you sharing the build, I am sure I will pick up some tips :yipee

-Steven

Cheers guys!

Wonderful painting job , Phil!...photos super clear...like them :good: ...btw, are you using macro lenses?

Luiz

Hi Luiz, I use Nikkor zoom lenses, these are taken with my Nikon D7100 fitted with a AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR set at 55mm zoom and with the subject in frame.

I use the camera on Apeture priority F32 or F36 for the best depth of field I can get from this lens.

Inbuilt flash set on rear curtain sync, on a tripod and release via infra red remote shutter release.

My preferred lens is a Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70mm zoom F3.5-4.5 G ED set at it's max F-stop F29, same flash and Apeture priority settings.

This one needs an internal clean so will be ''online'' again soon.

For closer views, Photoshop and use of the crop feature.

No need for macro's really, and they are expensive!!

Building up nice and clean Phil.

Thanks Bob, clean as in build quality at the moment, I aim to give it some ''character'' but not abused and used 100% like this one!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_A-1_Skyraider#mediaviewer/File:A-1J_Skyraider_VA-176_Vietnam_1966.jpg

I have something in mind later on with the decals on.

Looking great so far Phil (y) , one of these days I need to get out of my WWII rut and build some kits from the Korea thru Viet Nam era.

Thanks Gary, I did enjoy my ''The Huff'' Sabre build, it scored a Gold ribbon at our model expo against another "Huff" and my old Revell F4 "Showtime 100" even though it had 1997! stamped on the kit!!! so yes the Korean and Vietnam birds are good to get into, would sure like to see your craftsmanship on a few!.

Hi Steven,

even though it's a Tamiya kit ( I tend to get sucked into the "Tamiya shake and bake hype!!) it does have a few nasties to be careful with, the wing root join needs careful joining, I ended up with a gap for some reason and after trying to add some flat strip plastic to fix this I ended up ripping it off and using a bit more Ca glue on the join, later I decanted some Tamiya A/S 16 into the lid and brush applied that to the gap as well, it worked a treat.

The worst parts are the ordinance and drop tanks, they are misaligned so the detail ring grooves just don't match up correctly, so be careful there, AM resin replacements would be a treat if one could source them.

I drilled out the join holes in the bombs so they joined up much better as well.

Check the landing gear legs for alignment when you are ready to glue them too, for another strange reason I ended up with one forward of the other which made the front gear bay part that goes onto the gear leg more pronounced than the other, parts A18 and A19, careful breaking the supports E 2 from the well after I realized this gave me the chance to fix the alignment,hopefully you won't get this prob now.

Good luck, look forward to seeing your Raider build - which version/camo is it?

Napalm was first made at Harvard University in 1942 using naphthenic acid and palmitic acid in the gelling agent. The more modern version is Napalm-B which contains polystyrene and benzene in the gel agent. It was rebranded as "Incendergel" by the DoD during the Vietnan War. There are now many versions of "napalm" with different gelling agents for different methods of employment.

Cheers,
Rich

Guys, I want to add two napalm bombs to this one, is there anything different in the looks of these two products?

They look the same to me.

out of stock
http://www.bnamodelworld.com/ams-resin/ams-48055

in stock
http://www.bnamodelworld.com/ams-resin/ams-48054

Guys, I want to add two napalm bombs to this one, is there anything different in the looks of these two products?

They look the same to me.

out of stock
http://www.bnamodelworld.com/ams-resin/ams-48055

in stock
http://www.bnamodelworld.com/ams-resin/ams-48054

Phil, the only real napalm I have ever seen were the ones tumbling from airplanes and in the films they always looked pointed on both ends.

The travel pods to the best of my knowledge are the same containers with a door added to one side. You could probably just sand that off but I'm not 100 % as I have not seen the kit.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back