• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/48 A-1H Skyraider - Finished

Tamiya 1/48 A-1H Skyraider

Ditto what Chris said,the travel pods would have an access door on the side, pretty big one as it is basically a luggage rack. Also might want to check the if the filler cap is still in place. When you scrub off the access panel you might want to rescribe a smaller plate in it's place but that may or may not be noticeable. Depends on your eyesight...:rotf

Thanks for the napalm tips guys,

here's a question, on the leading edge of the wing there are three blackouts, any ideas what they are there for?

Bob's pic shows two of them nicely

A-1H_VA-25_CVA-41bomb.jpg~original

here's a question, on the leading edge of the wing there are three blackouts, any ideas what they are there for?

I'd say covers over various aerials an perhaps the master compass ?? - Shame I haven't still got my 'Warbird Tech' book on the A-1.... but I have got the D&S book.

Hang-on a min' I'll dig it out and see what's what !!

Ian

Edit
"Three antenna covers near the wingtips. These first appeared on the AD-3N. The diamond shaped covers were for the APA-70 homing equipment system fitted to the AD-3n and later AD-4N. The round cover on the right wing was for the APR-9 waveguide. The wings were manufactured with these covers on subsequent versions, but the equipment not installed."

Detail & Scale Vol 67 - Bert Kinzey 2003 (copyright)

"Three antenna covers near the wingtips. These first appeared on the AD-3N. The diamond shaped covers were for the APA-70 homing equipment system fitted to the AD-3n and later AD-4N. The round cover on the right wing was for the APR-9 waveguide. The wings were manufactured with these covers on subsequent versions, but the equipment not installed."

Detail & Scale Vol 67 - Bert Kinzey 2003 (copyright)

:drinks Thanks Ian, those three covers were a real mystery to me!!

Finished the decals tonight the Future over the last decals is still drying as the pics were taken.

These would have to be the worst Tamiya decals I have used, unlike the usual thick stable Tamiya offerings, these were super thin, resulting in mass breaks with just about every decal.

They still had Tamiya 1998 on the sheet, who knows who's they were though.

Also the decals reacted strange with my usual Future over the decals, it was like they had a water proof coating on them which made uncovered spots form over the decal

With the frustration of trying to lay these down I made a few mistakes, and when they grabbed no method worked to loosen them up to reposition, if I did get one free, it resulted in more splits and breaks with them, so best left alone.

DSC_1345d.jpg~original

DSC_1347d.jpg~original

DSC_1348d.jpg~original

DSC_1349d.jpg~original

DSC_1350d.jpg~original

DSC_1351d.jpg~original

A little more paint detailing in a few spots then the flatcoat goes on, then some weathering will happen.

Very sharp looking bird Phil (y) . Hate to hear about the decal problems :sick:

At least it's somewhat comforting to hear that it's not just me having those issues :sick:

Cheers, Christian B)

Finished the decals tonight the Future over the last decals is still drying as the pics were taken.

These would have to be the worst Tamiya decals I have used, unlike the usual thick stable Tamiya offerings, these were super thin, resulting in mass breaks with just about every decal.

They still had Tamiya 1998 on the sheet, who knows who's they were though.

Also the decals reacted strange with my usual Future over the decals, it was like they had a water proof coating on them which made uncovered spots form over the decal

With the frustration of trying to lay these down I made a few mistakes, and when they grabbed no method worked to loosen them up to reposition, if I did get one free, it resulted in more splits and breaks with them, so best left alone.

DSC_1345d.jpg~original

DSC_1347d.jpg~original

DSC_1348d.jpg~original

DSC_1349d.jpg~original

DSC_1350d.jpg~original

DSC_1351d.jpg~original

A little more paint detailing in a few spots then the flatcoat goes on, then some weathering will happen.

So when I get mine, get some AM Decals also? (y)

Thanks guys!

So when I get mine, get some AM Decals also?

Would be a very sound idea!
Oh and - leave the flaps off until almost done, I'm amazed they haven't broke after how many times I've picked it up forgetting about those thin flap actuators, they bend really good!! :bang head

Ian, I used Tamiya rattle cans on this one they had A/S 16 Light gray (USAF) and A/S 20 insignia white( US NAVY)

they had no acrylic bottle option like they do on most kit colour call outs, like the P-47, A/s 6 O.D or XF 62

A/S 12 for the silver leading edges, T/S 29 semi gloss black for the anti glare and T/S 4 dark gray behind the seat.

Looking good Phil, your recovery of the decal problems was successful as I could see no issues (y) (y)

Looks good Phil, propblur is perfect! :rotf

What are you going to load?

loadout,

was thinking on each wing, from outer pylon, 1 5" HVAR ait to ground rocket , 3 250lb bombs, 1 2.75'' FFAR rocket pod, 1 blu 27 napalm, 1 wing drop tank, and the centre drop tank.

Howzat ??!! :D

Back