• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

StuG IV Late, Better Late Than Never!

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
Hello friends! While researching another project, I came across some pix that got to thinking I should participate here. I dug around the 1/72 section during our last Augusta Raid and found this, the Dragon StuG IV Late Version. It looks like a nice little kit and since I have not built a StuG IV, this is my chance.

IMG_4623.JPG

IMG_4622.JPG

IMG_4624.JPG

IMG_4625.JPG

IMG_4626.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG

Looking forward to getting started, progress pix to follow! :drinks

Sweet, looks like you really start to get infected with braille scale. I love it. You that you have reached the point of no return now :evil:

Joe

Way cool,Mike! (y)

Is there any chance you are going to do this one with the elephants head or the sharkmouth?
are there decals provided to do them?

Greetings,Ron.

Thanks Ron. Nope, no decals, so it's gulp, gasp, hand painting! :pinch: Haven't decided which yet, suggestion?

Holy crap, the carpet monster has struck! When I opened the kit, I noticed the top ring of the cupola was off the sprue, so I put it in the box. SO, I get to that assembly and POOF! GONE! Can't fake it without, guess I'll scratch build one, the missing part will surely show up if I do! RAT FARTS!!!! :vmad

MIKE,

Sorry to hear that th Carpet Monster has struck ! I Dig th fact that you're gonna Face th Mantlet !! I'm lookin' forward to this !!

Not perfect, but good enough!

IMG_4630.JPG

IMG_4632.JPG

I used some sheet styrene and my trusty punch set to make another ring. Waiting on the kit part to show up!

Cool! While the vehicles in the photographs are StuG III assault guns, I am happy to see the face on a StuG IV!

StugAusfGOstfront19441.jpg

Here is another StuG III with a sharkmouth:

StuGshark.jpg

Regards,

I've built so many StuG III kits, I decided to use the IV but didn't have a picture of a IV with the choppers. :D Going without the zimmerit too, not that ambitious!

Mike you will see the kit part will turn up,...when the Stug is painted! :S
Yeah,carpet monster is a badazz... ;)

{Great pics,Saúl!}

Greetings,Ron.

The monster has not given up the missing part, so going with the replacement. I plan to prepaint a lot of this build, paint the face and then assemble, ought to be interesting!

I purchased some Vallejo Acrylic Polyurethane Surface Primer, comes in COLORS!!! Shot it straight from the bottle and it is wonderful!

IMG_4635.JPG

IMG_4633.JPG

IMG_4634.JPG

Time to clean the bench!!!!!

IMG_4636.JPG

I'm planning a lighter shade of yellow as the base, but I'm loving this primer so far!

Excellent work Mike! :ro:

I agree on Vallejo stuff (Russian green primer, Panzer Gray...) Fantastic.

All the best!
Dusan.

Cool. I was wondering about getting some of the coloured primer. Might just have to splurge.
James

Holy crap, the carpet monster has struck! When I opened the kit, I noticed the top ring of the cupola was off the sprue, so I put it in the box. SO, I get to that assembly and POOF! GONE! Can't fake it without, guess I'll scratch build one, the missing part will surely show up if I do! RAT FARTS!!!! :vmad

Probably in the same place as part A12 is from the Mustang. If you have any shelves that have to be disassembled to get under them...that's where it is.

So what's the advantage of Polyurethane Surface Primer?

Thank you, Gene!

Thanks Dusan! I bought both of those colors too, haven't tried them yet.

James, I really like the way this stuff lays down and since I got them on sale, even better!!

Bob, I don't know if there's a real difference in the make up of the primer from others, but it shoots right from the bottle, cleaned up easily, is compatible with plastic, holds on metal and should not be affected by other layers on top (like mineral spirits, turpenoid et al). Plus, the colors won't show up as bad in areas of sparse coverage like grey or white primer do. For the purists, there's still black, white AND grey. Although they didn't say which shade of grey......

Back