• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Stripping of Chrome Plating

SA Dave

Can any of you tell me the best way of stripping chrome off plastic - But using an product that is generally available as not all specific products are available here in South Africa

Regular household bleach works also, here is another question: Why can't a modeler just paint over the chrome? I don't have the answer but maybe someone does.

Tom

Castrol Super Clean is my weapon of choice, but as mentioned before, bleach works! You can paint over the plating, but sometimes the paint won't stick. Better safe than sorry, I'd say! (y)

The Liquid oven cleaner I buy is an bulk one that the catering industry uses. I use it for paint stripping enamels.

VERY IMPORTANT. USE GLOVES
It pulls any fat in your hand out and burns for a few seconds in an open wound - then become the fires of HELL for an hour.

I haven't used it in several years, but standard old brake fluid will strip just about anything, including hardened paint, off of plastic and never damage the model!

Bob

Brake fluid works, but you better be sure you get it all neutralized before you try to paint, or nothing will stick! DON'T ask me how I know THAT! Oven cleaner is kind of the same way, plus mighty caustic stuff. A little jar of bleach lasts a long time and is easily neutralized with plain ol' water. Just my 2 cents.

Back