• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Strange sdkfz 263

Robertp

The sdkfz 263 was an eight wheeled german communication vehicle during WW II. Here is a picture of one.
1697067705387.png

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gal...cles/sdkfz_263/sdkfz-263-panzer-group-kleist/

This is a picture of this threads topic
1697067680072.png

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gal...ehicles/sdkfz_263/afrika-korps-sdkfz-263-dak/

There a lot of things going on here. The frame antenna is gone (low bridge?). It has been replaced with the supports and square frame from another communications vehicle. Nothing was measured so the square frame antenna is tied (rope, wire?) to the supports. Then what? How was it wired to the radios? Didn’t the thing bang on the sides while moving? I am really considering doing this for the “just like the real thing”. The photograph is the only way people would believe it.

It has that command antenna (not sure if that's the right term), the one that looks like a stripped inverted umbrella. The antenna lead for that rigged up one could attach anywhere along that wire.

Let's do it! :soldier

These are always a challenge when doing a full build to a reference photo. I have a couple of these in process and getting as many of the details correct as possible is the challenge.
Looking forward to seeing what you create.
Popcorn-Watching-with.jpg

Looks like they lost their antenna and so have made a buckshea antenna. I would hazard a guess those are tent supports and without knowing i would guess they lay them down when traveling. The antenna should connect like the regular antenna does though. Looks interesting. Would be cool to find the back story to this.
James

That picture, and one of a sister vehicle, also appears in Nuts & Bolts Vol 36. They belong to Pz Div Nachr Abt 78 (Signals Battalion 78) of 15th Pz Div, arriving in North Africa in May 1941, replacing the original Signals Battalion that had been lost during transport from Italy. Both vehicles have the large frame antennas removed, likely to reduce their conspicuous signature. Both also seem to have the 9 m telescoping sternantenna (Star Aerial) which was mounted on the right hand side of the engine deck just aft of the superstructure. On the subject vehicle, the jury rigged structure could be one of two things. It could be a lowered frame antenna, possibly reusing some of the support structure and hardware from the original antenna installation. Or possibly a support structure for camouflage netting when the vehicle was stopped with the mast antenna deployed. The other vehicle only has the telescoping antenna and is well covered with camouflage netting and crew stowage.

The Sdkfz 263 (8-rad) was designed as a rear area communications vehicle to maintain contact with the reconnaissance light armoured vehicles operating in the frontlines. In order to get maximum effectiveness from the long-range radios (a max range of 200 km), the vehicle had to be completely stopped.

Cheers,
Rich B

I want to thank everyone for the feed back. The history and feed back gives me a lot to go on. It appears the supports are hollow tubes with tent poles inside. Note the tent poles are present in the front, but not rear. I am going to assume the square antenna is from a command panzer III. A lot to go on and a lot to figure out.

Back