• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Spraying Life Color paints?

The Zod

Yesterday,I tried to spray some Life Color paints. I used Life Color thinner. I sprayed a little,then the airbrush needle clogged. Added some more thinner,and same results. Nozzle still kept getting clogged. It is not the nozzle. Any thoughts? :idonno

Is it acrylic? If so add some retarder to it. I've gotten to where I use retarder for a thinner when spraying Vallejos.

To be honest, I've given up trying to spray any "real" acrylics.

I do like the way Lifecolor brushes on though...

Sorry, not much help.

Tom

I've used just straight distilled water to spray the only color I have of theirs, RLM 02, and had no serious issues, at least no worse then Vallejo with their thinner. I find that all acrylics will clog up eventually so I keep a q tip handy, just make sure it has a primer coat underneath.

I use distilled and relaxed water. This water you can buy here (Germany) at drug stores and its called water for ironing. It's about the same price as distilled water but it also has taken out the tension. I thin acrylic paints about 1:1 with this ironing water and I add an acrylic medium to give this mixture a better bite or glue. As acrylic medium I use one made by Liquitex but you can use other acrylic mediums. So the end mixture is about 10 drops acrylic paint : 10 drops ironing water and 3 drops medium sprayed with a 0.25 nozzle at about 11PSI or 0.7 Bar

This procedure I use for all real acrylic paints like Vallejo, LifeColors and others. This mixture can make the paint a little more transparent so you might need two or more coats esp. for whites or yellows.

Clogging does happen too but only when doing long sessions i.e. mottling - just a wet brush for wiping the needle does the trick for me.

And as namekanik said I always do a primer coat first.

Curious to know if anyone here has tried Tamiya acrylic thinners with lifecolor paints?

Long ago quite a few people told me you could only spray the old Aeromaster Warbird colors with distilled water otherwise the paint would ''string''

I now have a limited range of this paint both acrylic and enamels - Both spray perfect with Tamiya enamel and acrylic thinners.

Thanks for the replies and tips everyone. :good: . I have sprayed Tamiya and Testors acrylics in the past,and have never had the clogging problem. Will any retarder for acrylic paint work? Or would I have to use one just made fore Life Colors?

Liquitex should do the job Chad, think any Hobby Lobby will have it. Just a drop or two is all it takes. I put so much in one time I didn't think the stuff would ever dry! :rotf

Liquitex should do the job Chad, think any Hobby Lobby will have it. Just a drop or two is all it takes. I put so much in one time I didn't think the stuff would ever dry! :rotf

Thanks Bob. :drinks No idea when I will be able to get to a Hobby Lobby,or even a hobby shop next. :bang head Needing new airbrush and some paint. :frantic

Back