• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Soldier of Christ

jknaus

Administrator
This is a 70mm Pegaso figure I just got of a Soldier of Christ. He's a Sergeant Knights Templar. From what I can gather a Sergeant Knight did not have the money or heritage to be a full Knight, but was above the common rabble.
So far I think his cassock is finished except for some weathering. I have to do some more on his belt and finish the tie on his shoulder and his boots. The cape will be black and I am working on that now I think I did okay on the shading and hi liteing of his cassock but of course any comments and critiques are welcome. I'm finding it frustrating painting the figures but its like a drug. I cant stop. I guess as long as I'm having fun all is good.

soldier2.jpg

soldier1.jpg

Thanks for looking.
James

Hi James,

First of all, let me tell you that this is a great start and that I'm glcad you are painting soldiers.

I've prepared something for you, hoping this may help, is only my 2 cents advice, so not that counts, really..

What I think you should do is to add some highlight to the figures, to let it stands out slightly more.

Nothing major, just a couple of tones of highlight, just take the color/mix you used for the highlights and make it 2 different tones lighter.

Paint and blend the first highlight on the very top edge and then the highest highlight as spot on top of the previously painted areas, blend it and this is done.

I've played very quickly with Photoshop, and in the first pic you can see the result of what I'm meaning, compared to the one you posted.

soldier1-mod_20100619_1012400781.jpg
soldier1_20100619_1734224879.jpg

Please take it as my personal comments, to help one of the nicest person I had the honour to meet on this forum.

You are always so kind to me with your comments and I wish this can help.

keep up the good work.

Ciao

Giovanni

Thank you for the advice. The only way I'll learn is to try new stuff. I just cant seem to wrap my head around the shading and highlighting. To me it seems too much yet looks good on other peoples work. Same with flesh.
The drawings on the figure really helped to illustrate your point.
Okay so here is what I have done. Probably screwed it up but I tried to get the points you showed me.
soldier4_20100619_1590735250.jpg

soldier3_20100619_1243090203.jpg

soldier6_20100619_1911772196.jpg

Here is the cloak so far. Tried the Andrea system on the inside and hate it. Am using sepia and flesh and black oils on the outside. Still working on it.
soldier4_20100619_1590735250.jpg

soldier5_20100619_1465415585.jpg

I also shadowed the belt a bit. Comments are welcomed

Again gioazz thanks for the pointers, help, and kind words.
James

jknaus wrote:
Thank you for the advice. The only way I'll learn is to try new stuff. I just cant seem to wrap my head around the shading and highlighting. To me it seems too much yet looks good on other peoples work. Same with flesh.
The drawings on the figure really helped to illustrate your point.
Okay so here is what I have done. Probably screwed it up but I tried to get the points you showed me.

Here is the cloak so far. Tried the Andrea system on the inside and hate it. Am using sepia and flesh and black oils on the outside. Still working on it.

I also shadowed the belt a bit. Comments are welcomed

Again gioazz thanks for the pointers, help, and kind words.
James

Hi James,

If you see your figures already with too much contrast then leave it.

At the end is only matter of personal taste.

If it was me, I'll highlight the edge slightly more, but, again, this is my taste.

As for the black, picture is not sharp enough to see it all, one general comment, treath the black as a dark grey/brown, forget the pure black.

Use flesh to highlight the base colour and black (a tiny bit) to darken it.\

The real deep shadow, use pure black, if needed.

Hope this helps.

Ciao

Giovanni

I think maybe the pictures are not high enough quality. Looking at him, I think if I do the edge anymore it will look weird. As for the cloak I am using Sepia oil which looks very dark brown to my eyes. I have started shadowing and highlighting with lamp black and with premixed flesh. I think I need more highlights. Any advice you give is gratefully accepted.

Will try and get more pics.

Hey JK,

Its coming along really well, I like the figure :)

What I do is get all my darks finished first and work my way out adding tiny ammounts of your highlight colour although I usually paint in acrylics I am starting to pratcie with Oils

I watching this one with great interest

Andy

Okay, have a bit more done. The pics dont seem to show the black off too well.
soldier10.jpg

I dl'ed a pic of a Byzantine mosaic floor and tried to make one. Didnt work so I printed it out to see how it would look. I will now future it a couple of times to make it hardier and more like mosaic. I hope the lack of real edges wont detract. This works for me at the moment.
soldier7.jpg

And another pic. Started dusting. Will have to do skin next, which is last because I suck at it. Then a few touch ups and finish sword and he will be done.

soldier8.jpg

I realize it doesnt pop but I had fun and right now thats more importantr to me that perfection. Maybe when things get less stresful I'll better be able to make the grade.

Hope you like and critiques and pointers are most welcome.

James

Thanks MP and Ted. Yes I got the cross on google, re sized and then printed it out. Taped it to a wide piece of tamiya tape and cut out. Then used Tamiya tape as stencil. Oil on figure, Vallejo on shield. Shield cross is a bit small but this was a poor sergeant and he couldn't afford the larger cross. True story, heard it from a friend of a friend... :silly: :lol:
James

Back