• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SOB 2nd class 1/48 Monogram

dollar19

I've had this kit for 30 years or more and just pulled it out of the stash. I thought long and hard about throwing it away or giving it to a neighbor kid. Since none of my neighbors have kids that was not an option. Then I thought, you've kept it this long why not build it?

Believe me, the hands of time were turned back when I opened the box. Retractable landing gear, folding wings. The bomb bay doors open and a 500 pounder swings down on its trapeze. Every gimmick a kid could possibly want in a $1.00 model in 1966! :)

I seem to remember having received this as a Christmas present way back in the 1980s and sure enough the copy right date is 1966 and 1986. So I can trace its lineage.

So it's on the bench. No wing folding because try as I might the pins and ears that allow for this function DO NOT work!! So I added some tabs to support the wings outer panels and butt glued them on. I"m going to glue the landing gear in the down position as well. Might as well forget any of the operating features and just make it look as good as I can. Not going to strain my brain cell or fret over it at all. Going to build it paint it and put it on the shelf. Just like when I was a kid. I might even take it out in the back yard an fire a few BBs at it to fully relive the experience. :yipee
Anyway here's some pics.
IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.......

Those old Monogram kits are treasures IMHO, no, they are not likely to make the most accurate finished models or win contests but they are still great fun to put together and am glad to see them still being built. (y)

Matrixone

They were great fun weren't they? I remember a Mustang kit that had little leavers in front of the radiator, you hit it and the bombs would drop, there was also a turn nob for the landing gear. I remember the wing folds, they only had so many movements in them so make the best of them.

You know in this day of age, with PE and brass casting, making working hinges shouldn't be too hard. :hmmm

Good start Greg. :popcorn

Yup, had one of these way back in late 60's. Believe it or not, everything worked just like it was supposed to and it went together quite nicely. The corsair I got at the same time did NOT fit or work at all. One of the few early builds I did that I actually remember.

:eek:ldguy :stinker

Glad to see one being built! (y)

Ive pull this one back out. I want to get it finished soon it's taking up considerable bench space. Shoot some paint yesterday. I'm going to go back in to the separation line and soften it up just a little bit. Once that get dry I'll get the dark sea blue on the wing tops and upper fuselage. Oh yes I am dreading masking that green house.
Cutlass%20007.jpg

Cutlass%20006.jpg

Cutlass%20005.jpg

Coming along nicely (y) (y) (y) (y)
I agree those were fun kits back in the day. Enjoyed them so much. Best thing is they were priced to sell to us kids. I feel sory for the young ones now adays who might think about getting into the hobby just to see a $100 or more in kit glue and paints.
James

Thanks fellas. She looks a little ragged right now. I just threw some tape over the cockpit and gunners position to keep the paint out. Im sure once the Dk sea blue it on thing will look a lot better.

Yeah James, I remember this kit at the dime store for 98 cents. And a tube of glue was a dime. And a bottle of Pactra paint was a quarter. And a snow cone was a nickle. Those were the days..........

My old Mattel Vac-U-Form was $13.98 from Sears. (still has the sticker on it) Was made out of sheet metal (with sharp edges) and had a HOT plate on it. My guess is that was a fair chunk of change back in those days. (Yes I got it new as a B'day gift) Some of the add on sets would have been cool too. :(

Today's kids don't know what the sue happy lawyers have robbed them of.

I got the ProModeler kit. Been thinkin' of startin' it thanks to you & your build... :hmmm :hmmm :bat

Careful Greg, Gerry's gonna try sellin' ya somethin'... :tomato

I got the ProModeler kit. Been thinkin' of startin' it thanks to you & your build... :hmmm :hmmm :bat

Careful Greg, Gerry's gonna try sellin' ya somethin'... :tomato

Nope actually Thought I'd make some hinges for this bird ....... :smack

Ok Thanks Dollar 19 ..... I'll see if I can find that kit on-line ..... I was looking thru the back room and found a SB2 ... frog model .....just showed up ..... can't remember buying it ..... :hmmm :eek:ldguy

Back