• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Show/Contest written material

Hi all,

I really have no idea where this question should have been posted, should it be in Shows and Events as it relates to shows in general, should it be under Help Me as I need help (in more than one way :gogo )... so instead I posted it here :laugh:

Back to the point of this post...

Back in South Africa I was never required to provide proof of a build, in other words if it was OOTB or "enhanced" etc, one's word was simply enough. Now here in Australia, and I believe elsewhere in the world, it appears one is expected to supply what seems to be a printed build log of the model if it's a diorama or enhanced with aftermarket products, or supply the manufacturer's instruction sheet if it's OOTB.

Now I accept that this has to be done, no big deal, I document most builds anyway. So what's the question at the end of this laborious diatribe you ask?

What exactly is one expected to supply with a contest entry (in the case of enhanced or diorama)? Are contest organisers/judges looking for a novel? Some light toilet reading? I know it's got to be done, but to what level of detail should the documentation be? :huh:

Rudi :S

Rudi,
I can not answer for Australia, but in the US (who ever is putting the contest on should have a listing of what proof you need).
International Plastic Modelers Society (IPMS) USA has by-laws that all IPMS contests are suppose to follow. I.E. Out of the Box (OOB) you are required to have the directions available for the judges to examine, if they have a question as to if you have used after market items. (You should be able to find what is required at their web site).
With that said, I have been to and judged numerous local and National contests and have seen on many occasions (local contest) not requiring proof? Please don't ask me why, as I have asked and I have been told, we believe in the honor system.
Hope this makes the mud a little clearer?
Shawn

Hi Rudi,

From entering /judging in the Melbourne Expo and Brisbane's QMHE, judges rarely look at
the information , although its an advantage to have it.

Its handy to provide the work in progress photo's ,reference information because
there has been many instances where judges chosen to judge the category do
not build in that category.

Providing a step by step analysis of your work just gives the person
an insight of how much you do to your model,diorama or figure

Considering the time and effort we all spend in building you may have 1 kit which takes
upto 7-8 months to finish .
Some competitions reward you in points to have reference information .

I believe this is still current with the Melbourne Expo judging criteria .

It would be better to dazzle with more than less :)

Michael :)

It is not common practice on European shows. People can add something in print to the model if they want, to show their efforts clearer, but I hardly take that into account when I am judging. But there are some categories where it does make sense indeed, for example the scratchbuild category, like #14 at Euromilitaire.

But this might differ from show to show and maybe there are some shows with these requirements, but none of the major European shows.

Sven

Thanks for your thoughts and comments, gents. Much obliged. Caught up with some mates last night about this topic - was good to hear the various opinions.

Back