• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sherman IDF M50

I personally love figuring stuff like this out. Your doing good Bruce just go slow and keep double checking everything and only remove a little bit at a time.

You Got This!
:popcorn

Ok so one more potential issue here. After getting the return rollers on and letting the CA set, I decided to try wrapping the Tamiya M51 tracks on this Dragon kit. I would think historically it should be the same hull so should fit, right? Yet again, Not So Fast!!!

ok so concerned but not worried as I have the AFV resin tracks to work with,so we’ll see how it goes, but this is really souring me on Dragon Kits!
9D8491CA-7DC9-4CB3-AD4D-7C4E6CF4318A.jpeg

There is a reason I don't like rubber band tracks. Yeah they stretch, but being vinyl, or rubber, or whatever, they usually tend to SHRINK! Which is why I have not tried to build my mammoth T-28 US tank. It has those horrid yellow rubber pieces of poo! It seems like I read someplace they used track links from some production tank on it, but have no idea what tank that was.

I'm with Bob here, add the drive sprocket and then see where your at on the tracks. Also check you instructions there should be two more return roller on there, one between each bogey assembly. Such as this...

1598186097886.png

HANDS DOWN THE HARDEST MODEL I HAVE YET BUILT!

OK I think Dragon should get the award for "most difficult-to-build-model-maker," but as you can see, she's all but ready for paint!

So here is the original pic I am going for:
ZONKERS2.png

So on this, the canvas covered M2 and the turret are not glued, they are just sitting there, but it's looking pretty good!

za1.jpg
za2.jpg
za3.jpg
za4.jpg
za5.jpg
za6.jpg
za7.jpg

Tank's lookin' good but check those tracks. You got an end cap missing on the left side and the right side looks like it has one or two many links, way to slack. What tracks are those, it's not the rubber band ones are they?

No, those were individual link tracks and they were a bear. I will get the link cap, those dang things fall off like crazy. Can't do much about the slack without completely cutting it all apart and starting over, and that ain't happening.

Sounds like a job for bushes in the final product

I had to put it aside for a bit, but may have to do battle with those tracks soon. Should be a way to get the slack out.

this has been a TOUGH build!

Great J.O.B!!!....Dude :ro:

Sure the build was a total PitA but look at it man!...you did it!!! Work on the tracks best you can then prime that sucker. Let sit for a couple of days then really inspect it thoroughly for little things that can be corrected before moving on to the finial paint!
:victory:

Thanks! It's odd the things you DON'T see until you take or post pics. the phone box on the back was left off, but only as it had a ton of sink marks, but is an easy fix, plus two of those 'cage brackets on the turret and i think one of the hatches, I missed those nut the will be added. I am going to have to cut off the links, the thin a few to get rid of the slack yest make it hard to tell which are thinned, as NOTHING on this model fit correctly.

OK I think Dragon should get the award for "most difficult-to-build-model-maker,"

LOL! That award has already been given to Armageddon Models; see my Panzerzug BP-44 build for proof!

You sir, have done a masterful job already, despite the issues. Way to go on this model so far!

Thanks Duke! I have the SCUD-B from this era complete with aftermarket and am hesitant to start it now as a result

I like your progress, but Sherman's used live track, so no slack. I would remove at least one link per side!

Thanks Duke! I have the SCUD-B from this era complete with aftermarket and am hesitant to start it now as a result

I did the Toxso Models SCUD B twice myself. As far as I had known it was the only SCUD B in 1/72 scale plastic. Modelcollect has released a SCUD B as well, and they even have a SCUD C and D that I have. Gonna see about starting them soon I think. Personally,. if you want to do one of those SCUDs I recommend getting the Modelcollect one.

The patient underwent minor surgery today, and the surgical team removed 1/3 of a link on one side, 1/5 on the other. Note there is still the tiniest bit of ‘slack’ at one side, but I notice in some pics of actual ’Shermies’ This can happen due to track link position as it comes off that last roadwheel
9AE1B68D-1C1D-4415-8E1D-D7AD7CA9BA99.jpeg
E11769F6-3324-43A3-B48B-2E5B566998A7.jpeg

Patient is fine & resting comfortably. I think next weekend there will be time for paint!
97F450EC-1836-4A03-82BF-C432A6CBC446.jpeg

F05F5529-FD92-49FE-996D-CBFE6E73A170.png

Note this last pic with the canvas covered MG & a box (via value gear, also note none of that is glued yet)

Ok here is a bit more from today:

sink marks, anyone?
zb7.jpg

This the phone box on the back of most Shermans. I sanded off the lump the kinda represented a latch, and with some thi sheet and a tiny bit, here we are:
zb8.jpg

also the MG pedestal was so tall it could have been a flag pole, so I cut it down a bit, really drilled the hole, and put on the turret vision port brackets
xb9.jpg

not too shabby!

Last edited:
Back