• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SdKfz 251/17 Final Decisions- FInished!

Howdy folks! Just to show y'all I'm actually doing more than chippin' my Tempo these days.

A Dragon kit I won at a competition, once. A SdKfz 251/17. It has some terrible fit issues, but persistance and stamina takes a man all the way. Admittedly, some TLC (Terrible Loud Cursing) also helps, sometimes 8)

Here some construction pics
birdseyewings.jpg

frontleft.jpg

insidebirdtop.jpg

Details added from styrene, left over PE parts and the spares box
leftfender.jpg

houweel.jpg

slotvangerback.jpg

antennaebase.jpg

ammofireext.jpg

trekhaak.jpg

roofinside.jpg

And yes, I still need to fix some of these rivets. Also check inside the storage box
storagebin.jpg

And a start to paint the inside
intright.jpg

intleft.jpg

The dash board received some decals. The large dial is the kit decal. The rim needs paint, yes indeed. The other dials as well as the placards are some fine Archer dry tranfers. I rubbed them on wet decal paper though, which made application a lot easier. The Archer dials were spot on with the real stuff. The ones supplied in the kit are ok, but inaccurate. The placards underneath the dash board are really great details.
dashboard.jpg

Ze gun wiz a Lion Roar barrel
gunleft.jpg

gunright.jpg

Und ze vheels (well, not all, I sort of forgot the rest :oops: )
wheels.jpg

And what's the story? you ask.
Well this vehicle will be painted as one from the 12th Panzer Division which surrendered after the defense of Brno (Czechoslowakia) late April/early May 1945.
Parts of this unit surrendered to the Americans, so did another part, near Pilzen but they were handed over to the Russians, and another part fell into the hands of the Russians straight away.
My scene will depict this vehicle with some of its crewmembers discussing which direction they should take, in order to surrender to the Americans. Hence the title: Final Decisions. Surrender!
Figures are chosen already, as well as the Hornet heads to go with them. But no pics yet.

I guess that the next step will be to paint the details and weather the inside. :roll:

To be continued

Robert

Re:SdKfz 251/17 Final Decisions

Well, look what the cat dragged in folks. I dug this thread up from page -31, from two decades ago. Well sort of, you know what I mean.
Thought it would be nice to go ahead with this one.

I did some color modulation on all of the inner details and started to add color after applying some filters and pinwashes. Still a lot to be done, but hey, at least I'm moving again :lol:

Here's the gun in various kinky poses and partly pin washed. Well very partly. Most of it still needs to be done.
guntop.jpg

gunleft-1.jpg

gunright-1.jpg

Gun shield in the making
turretfrontright.jpg

Some inner spheres:
topview.jpg

topview2.jpg

roofinside-1.jpg

A zillion wheels in several stages of weathering. I took out my color box as you may notice
wheels1.jpg

wheels2.jpg

wheels3.jpg

And please meet some of my friends, all under construction:
A Dragon figure with a Verlinden head. I think he's the one in charge.
"Hey boys, where's the exit out of this mess we're in?"
derchef.jpg

An Alpine dude with a Hornet head
"Yes boys, where's our way out"
fritz.jpg

Warriors figure, with a new head from Hornet and a helmet from the spares box
"The way out? Ask me if I care. I just need a drink"
derharrie.jpg

And mr Frankenstein himself. A Verlinden body, a Warriors (?) head, a Tamiya right arm and an Italeri left arm. Hands could be by any manufacturer as I lost track of that years ago, mix of Warriors, Hornet and Historex I guess.
"I am sort of almost kind a sure that the way out is there...maybe"
deralte.jpg

Sneakin' up from behind....
doistderbahnhofback.jpg

woistderbahnhofback.jpg

And some snapshots of the basic lay out:
"I am sure the way out is to the left, sir"
layoutback.jpg

"Or is it to the right" 8)
layoutfront.jpg

That's all for now.

Robert

Re:SdKfz 251/17 Final Decisions (revisited)

The brass is fantastic,thats some small stuff,and your paint job went down real nice.

Man, I love these many variants of German halftracks. Your build is coming along excellent, love the finish you gave the interior, and the figures set it off nicely. Can't wait to see more.
Steven

The interior looks great. Interesting history behind the diorama too.

I finally managed to finish the interior for 99,99%

DSC06926.jpg

DSC06928.jpg

DSC06931.jpg

Some of the stuff that´ll clutter the interior:
DSC06932.jpg

The gun without shield
DSC06924.jpg

DSC06925.jpg

The shield
shieldfront.jpg

shieldleftback.jpg

shieldleft.jpg

The exterior
251fullleft.jpg

251fullright.jpg

Because of the poor fit I had to fill&sand and accidently sanded some rivets away.
My beading tool had to come to the rescue and I decided to re-do all the rivets and even add some more.
251leftsideJPG.jpg

251nose.jpg

251rightsideJPG.jpg

Next step is the hard edge camo

I'll add this jerry can from the fantastic Great Wall Hobby set. Why I did the PE cap? Because I can. Fiddly, but cool.
jerrycanl.jpg

jerrycantop.jpg

jerrycanr.jpg

Really interesting model ... and the way you are painting the interior is really atractive and realistic. My congratulations!!!

Hat off!!!

Thanks for commenting.

While my 251 is PZ-yellowish now and receiving it's masks for the green patches of the hard edge camo scheme I thought it would be nice to share some of the other stuff in this project.

I decided to add a fifth figure. A Hornet/Wolf figure with a new head, which maybe Hornet, or maybe not :S
DSC06807.jpg

The Facebook
DSC06920.jpg

I made the base from HD styrofoam, ornamental profile from the DIY and veneer.
And a rough planning for the layout was made prior to that of course.
DSC06841.jpg

DSC06842.jpg

In case I would cut away the wrong parts (don´t ask:eek:) I marked what should be cut out
DSC06843.jpg

Resulting in this
DSC06846.jpg

DSC06850.jpg

I decided to make a wire tree with........wire , what else? And Magic Sculp. It'll get thin branches and leaves later on.
DSC06856.jpg

DSC06861.jpg

DSC06862.jpg

DSC06890.jpg

DSC06988.jpg

Some balsa dowels were used to make pine tree stems. I added texture with a wire brush and stained the stems with different colors oil paint washes.These stems will receive Asperagus Fern branches later on.
DSC06830.jpg

DSC06858.jpg

That's about all for now. See ya'

Robert

Wow,
Love the paint job,
The equipment looks well used but maintained.
The Jerry cans look amazing.
Love the Tree.
Please keep posting pictures so I can follow the build.
Shawn

Hi Robert, the interior looks great, should come up a treat when all the bits and pieces get thrown in. Figures are going to tell a great story.
Keep up the great work.

Wow Robert,

This is really coming along .

Very nice .The base looks like it will be a ripper.
The tree is perfect.

Michael :)

251/17 D update, my first hard edge

Hi,

thanks for your comments.

I have been chewing on a nice hard edge job the past days. Nice job: cutting masks. I really recommend it....not :unsure:
Anyway, here's the result. Not perfect, but nothing what filters, fading, and other weathering cannot improve
leftfront.jpg

rightfront.jpg

leftback.jpg

rightback.jpg

front-1.jpg

back-1.jpg

top.jpg

The gun shield proved to be a bit pale with this color frenzy.
So, I took out my H&S Infinity air brush and popped some green spots to on it. Thin enough not to cover the previous scratches etc. I'm happy.
gunleftfront.jpg

gunback.jpg

gunright-2.jpg

To be continued

Robert

Re:update, my first hard edge

Hey Robert
As a general rule I don't comment much on German stuff (as I don't know what I'm looking at!) but I know what I like and this halftrack is one of those things! The colour shades compliment each other perfectly (kind of the point of camouflage, I guess)
How tight and sharp were the edges painted on the real thing? I'm sure they weren't perfect if field applied, at least...
Brad

Hey Robert,
The hard edge looks superb, mate, I cant beleive its your first go at it !!
Come on, us German freaks, would like a breakdown on the colours,..

what you used, what mixes were they,.. etc etc etc

Cant wait for the weathering if the AA gun is anything to go by

Andy

Looking fine Robert , I really like the different cam on the gun and the hard edge will be fine , lets get the beasty weathered .

Jenny
:kiss:

Looks pretty sweet to me. Do you plan to add figures or include it in a diorama?
Randy

Back