• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scratch mill / Gatehouse dio

Cheyenne

I'm starting a mill to go with the never ending Gatehouse France 1944 dio .
Don't know weather I'll use brick as in the ref photo or stone , I'm leaning on stone .
The water wheel I built ages ago but now finally have a use for it , now all I have to do is build another one .
The doors are scratch .

PossibleSevereFoal-small.gif

Real nice !

Slow progress , casting and free form carving plaster .
Molds from Hirstarts and Diorama debris .
Some freeform plaster carving too .
Starting to look like something .
Also started the second water wheel .

Gaps and seams will be filled and the walls will eventually look like this ........................

Fantastic work........i would love to understand your painting process and colors on the wooden gate if possible?
:Drinks: :tens:

Thanks Pup , thanks Piet !!!
Heya Ian , how's it goin ?
I use a thin bass wood form to glue all the framing and planking to , painted acrylic black .
I used coffee stirs for the scalloped wood and the large door .
The door next to that [ under the Rue Marie sign ] is left over ship planking from a Artesania Latina fishing boat , micro thin .
Framing is all bass wood .
First I stain everything with MinWax Golden Oak [ pick your stain color ] .
After completely dry I wash areas with oil paints , black [ for shadows ] , burnt umber , burnt sienna .
Next I use acrylic light greens [ craft store paints ] to mold up the distressed ends of the door planking and shadow recesses .
Metal fixtures [ hinges , handles ] are painted with antique bronze [ acrylic ] then washed with black oil paint .
That's about it really .

Edit : Don't use balsa wood it's less dense than bass wood and for me doesn't take stain or washes to my liking .

Back