• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sayonara, Building a 1/35th Japanese Garden.

New birthday project. Japan dio. Update 10/10/13

This just keeps getting better and better !! I can't wait to see it finished. And I'm positive Gail will love it !!

I was hoping to finish the Gate today and move on to the bridge. The paint, especially the artists oils aren't cooperating. They need to sit for a couple of days until I can glue the columns, the sliding grid doors and the main doors to the gate.

Anyway, I took some photos at this stage. I think now you can have an idea what the gate will look like when finished. Here the columns have their final coat of maroon.

Columns_zps56702df5.jpg

This is the pair of sliding doors that will go on both sides of the interior walls between the columns/

Griddoors_zpsf07d9a6f.jpg

The interior walls where the columns and the sliding doors will go.

Gateinterior_zps46b0c1e9.jpg

Oh yeah, The main doors to the gate still need a final coat of the artists oils to make them a deeper color and to "Paint" in the wood grain.

Doors_zps148b87d1.jpg

And the Andrea 54mm Samurai that will get the patina treatment and end up on top of the column in the courtyard.

Samurai_zpsf5b7ee8a.jpg

And now the Gate itself.

Gateroof_zps2892d85d.jpg

Gate02_zps26034cbf~0.jpg

Gate03_zpsa32217c9.jpg

Gate04_zps2d94e00c.jpg

The painting of the roof shingles was very tedious. It began as flat black, then dry brushed with Humbrol matt 72 and matt 33, ( 2 parts Khaki drill and 1 part flat black). Then individual shingles were painted various shades of that mixture, then a light wash of raw umber and rectified turpentine, followed by outlining the shingles with a darker wash of the raw umber mixture.

Gateroof_zps2892d85d.jpg

Gateroof02_zpsd186deea.jpg

That's it for now!

Fantastic as always. I did a double take on the third photo (thinking it was a reference image of the real thing).

Regards,

New birthday project. Japan dio. Update 10/13/13

wow , Truely an artistic creative mind Bob.

Attention to the building and ground work detail is perfect .

There are a lot of pavers in the groundwork,
Are they in sheet form or individually placed ? :hmmm

Michael

Fantastic as always. I did a double take on the third photo (thinking it was a reference image of the real thing).

Regards,

Thanks Saul,

That's the best compliment you could give me. That is a;ways my goal when building dioramas!

Beautiful :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) :D
James

Thanks James.

wow , Truely an artistic creative mind Bob.

Attention to the building and ground work detail is perfect .

There are a lot of pavers in the groundwork,
Are they in sheet form or individually placed ? :hmmm

Michael

Thanks Michael,

They are the old 1/35th Construction Battalion 8" X 12" sheets. I doubt if you can get them anymore.

Bob

I was hoping to finish the Gate today and move on to the bridge. The paint, especially the artists oils aren't cooperating. They need to sit for a couple of days until I can glue the columns, the sliding grid doors and the main doors to the gate.

Anyway, I took some photos at this stage. I think now you can have an idea what the gate will look like when finished. Here the columns have their final coat of maroon.

Columns_zps56702df5.jpg

This is the pair of sliding doors that will go on both sides of the interior walls between the columns/

Griddoors_zpsf07d9a6f.jpg

The interior walls where the columns and the sliding doors will go.

Gateinterior_zps46b0c1e9.jpg

Oh yeah, The main doors to the gate still need a final coat of the artists oils to make them a deeper color and to "Paint" in the wood grain.

Doors_zps148b87d1.jpg

And the Andrea 54mm Samurai that will get the patina treatment and end up on top of the column in the courtyard.

Samurai_zpsf5b7ee8a.jpg

And now the Gate itself.

Gate01_zps7fdab78f-1.jpg

Gate02_zps26034cbf.jpg

Gate03_zpsa32217c9.jpg

Gate04_zps2d94e00c.jpg

The painting of the roof shingles was very tedious. It began as flat black, then dry brushed with Humbrol matt 72 and matt 33, ( 2 parts Khaki drill and 1 part flat black). Then individual shingles were painted various shades of that mixture, then a light wash of raw umber and rectified turpentine, followed by outlining the shingles with a darker wash of the raw umber mixture.

Gateroof_zps2892d85d.jpg

Gateroof02_zpsd186deea.jpg

That's it for now!

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Tou certainly have a gift Bob! very cool work there (y) (y) (y)

Tou certainly have a gift Bob! very cool work there (y) (y) (y)

Thanks Phil!

Well, time for another update. The Gate is finished except for a touchup here and there. I have added a Buddha and Pedestal in the center, have installed the columns permanently and put the sliding doors and double stairs on either side of the interior of the gate.

Gate05_zpse0e67433.jpg

The Gate doors given the woodgrain treatment.

Doorsgatefinished_zps150a79c0.jpg

The interior of the gate.

Gate01_zps5727ad7c.jpg

One side.

Gate04_zps54adc65e.jpg

The other side.

Gate02_zps5ffd6006.jpg

From the center.

Gate03_zpsbca08487.jpg

Then I made a gate, something like this reference photo.

Japanese-garden-gates_zpsd1bf8f67.jpg

Here is the model.

[
redGate_zps51e09cdd.jpg

I finished building the Gazebo and have started weathering it. There are still two more processes to put the patina through to get the right "Look". First, the build.

Gazebo01_zps624e2577.jpg

Then after the build is finished.

Gazebo02_zps7d66c35e.jpg

Another view.

Gazebo03_zps4001e5c8.jpg

The base coat.

Gazebo04_zpsd4c26afd.jpg

And these last two photos is during the process of simulating a bronze patina on the rooftop. It will look much different when finished.

Gazebo05_zpsea189568.jpg

Another view.

Gazebo06_zpsd959ee30.jpg

Till Next time!

New birthday project. Japan dio. Update 10/23/13

Hi Bob,

Beautiful craftsmanship :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

The wood grain on the doors is perfect and the gazebo is awesome !!!! Great use of some pe fencing there and the patina is superb.

Randy

New birthday project. Japan dio. Update 10/23/13

Very , very cool Uncle Bob , beautiful work as always .........

The Andrea dude looks neat , any more figs. gonna participate ?

Back