• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SAS jeep help

The Zod

I have the old Italeri "commando car" aka SAS Jeep ETO version. I know in N.Africa,most of the slats on the grille in front of the radiator were cut off to make room for the coolant recycler. Did all the SAS jeeps that were used in Europe from 1944 on have them slats still cut out? This is the only in action pic I could find of one from the front. It looks like the headlights were taken off.

sjeep1.jpg

This is the instructions showing the cut out slats.
sasdir.jpg

This is the kit part with the slats intact,.
sasrad.jpg

I have the Concord book on the Jeep.I have seen only one pic of an SAS jeep in the ETO being used by the French.It shows the slats cut out.

Terry

Many thanks for the pix. Guess I will be cutting out some slats. :stinker I had forgoten how vague Italeri instructions could be.

Terry

Many thanks for the pix. Guess I will be cutting out some slats. :stinker I had forgoten how vague Italeri instructions could be.

Your welcome Chad! Did you see the one with louvers?

;)

Yeah.On the pic called general. :v Those Jeeps had to be overloaded.they were rated at 1/4 ton.Just the extra fuel would be close to a quarter ton. :soldier

Why was the grill removed?

From this site.
http://www.m201.com/sasjeep.htm

The jeeps were stripped of all non-essential parts including the windscreen, most of the radiator grille bars and even sometimes the front bumper to increase the effective load carrying capacity of the vehicle. Thus the large amount of fuel and water needed for fast long-range raids could be carried avoiding the need for slower support vehicles. A water condensing unit was fitted to the front to reduce loss from the radiator which would otherwise have had to be topped up from the limited drinking water supplies. The jeeps also carried sand mats, metal wheel channels, radio equipment and large quantities of ammunition.

Back