• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ruben's Pz.Sfl.IVb 10.5 le.FH.18/1 FINISHED!!

Ruben Lopez

P1010980.jpg

Here's my entry for the group build. It will be an out of the box project because sometimes you have to take it easy. :P

Ruben

Re:Ruben's Pz.Sfl.IVb 10.5 le.FH.18/1 Sd.Kfz. 165/1

I said this was started so let me show you some progress!

First of course, the hull and suspension.
P1020023.jpg

The front tow points and the covers for the final drive.
P1020024.jpg

The rear wall and the track "tensioners". (Is that a word? :p )
P1020025.jpg

The road wheels, sprockets, return rollers and idlers. None of them is glued yet.
P1020026.jpg

The other side.
P1020027.jpg

And the transmission cover.
P1020029.jpg

And that completes the first three steps of the instructions. Now, as some of you might have this very same kit in the stash waiting to build it someday let me tell you the errors I have found in the instructions. :shock:

In step #2 the front corners of the hull are marked as E12 for both sides, they should be E12 and E13. Also don't pay too much attention to the numbers for the final drive covers; the important thing here is that the joint line for the two should be horizontal.

In step #3 the parts for the track tensioning system are listed as E24, E27, E21 and E9 for one side and E24, E22, E28 and E10 for the other. It should be E24, E27, E22 and E9 and E24, E28, E21 and E9 for the other.

Also, in the sub assembly for the suspension arms; part E19 (the end caps for the leaf springs.) should be A48 and parts A42 and A44 (the caps for the arms pivot) should be A42 and A43. They also instruct you to build two sets of suspension assemblies but don't tell you which one goes in which side. Luckily for us the parts are keyed (the tabs to mount the arms assemblies to the hull is shaped like a D.) and that tells you what goes where.

I'll keep posting this errors and its corrections as I find them.

Next, muffler, ammo bins and tracks. :eek:hmy:

ruben

Continuing with the build I did the muffler and the rear vents. The muffler I attached to the hull but left the rvents for latter as they should align with the sides of the top of the hull. Next was the interior floor and the ammo bins which you can see here.
P1020033.jpg

I'll glue them in place after painting.

Next was the turn of the tracks and the fenders. The fenders was a matter of adding the front and rear flaps and springs. Tools will be added latter. This is my first experience with magic tracks and I have to say that hey are a breeze to assemble. Here is the hull with tracks, muffler and floor.
P1020030.jpg

P1020031.jpg

Here you can see the floor and the firewall. (Not glued yet.)
P1020032.jpg

Then the upper hull was done. You can also see the fenders.
P1020034.jpg

Here's with a little cammo applied.
P1020035.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The only error here is in step 5; part D24 should be B24

Now for the gun and turret.
See you soon.
Ruben

Continuing with the build I proceed to put the rear air intakes (or exhausts) in place.
P1020049.jpg

Next, the upper hull was assembled. To ease with the painting process I glued the fenders to the upper hull so all this can be glued in one piece instead of having to glue the upper and lower hull and then the fenders. Now I can paint the tracks more easily. :D
P1020050.jpg

This, of course, requires that you cut the circular tabs in the middle of the lower hull and shorten the tabs on the fenders.

I also installed the tools and the spare wheels.
P1020051.jpg

P1020052.jpg

Having done the hull it was time for the turret so I started with the lower half.
P1020053.jpg

Then the upper half. I replaced the antenna with a brass one from RB Model.
P1020054.jpg

The other side.
P1020055.jpg

I also replaced the PE chain that holds the tow cable for a black brass one and the tow cable for a piece of thred instead of the metal one that is supplied because it is too stiff to work with. Here's a close up.
P1020058.jpg

Then the gun breech was built. Gunner's side.
P1020056.jpg

Loader's side.
P1020057.jpg

And here it is complete.
P1020048.jpg

This completes the basic building of Howard. Now the detailing begin.

About the errors in the instructions; there's one in step 12, part marked G6 should be G37. In step 14; the sub assembly for the elevating mechanism show you some parts without numbers, they are G39, G41, G43 and G77.
BTW, if you're wondering what are parts G65 and G66 it is the same as G1 (The Support for the canvas top.) disassembled.

See you soon,
Ruben

Richard, Jenny, Noel, Laura, Ben and Erik; thanks! You are right I've been flying through this build but it is because this kit, even with the instructions mistakes, is a pleasure to build. :cheers:

Dragunov said:
Found another error; In step #3 the mount of the Notec light is part C2 insted of E19 in the instructions.

Erik

Erik, I didn't even noticed that there was another mount for the Notec, I was so absorbed in the kit that I simply modified part E19 and used it. That's the advantage of another pair of eyes! :D

This is a small update just to show that Howard has been painted.
First the primer...
P1020059.jpg

Then the paint.
P1020065.jpg

Tomorrow, washes and highlights.
See you soon.
Ruben

It's time for another update
While the paint dried I painted the tracks; I gave them a coat of black primer followed by a dry brushing with steel paint. Then painted the road wheels and reassembled the lower hull. the weathering of the hull was done with a black filter (with oil paint) followed by a dry brushing of the Panzer Gray mixed with a Sandstone color. I painted the ammo, ammo bins and the racks for the charges and glued them to the interior. Then I proceeded to dirty up the hull and tracks with oil paint; Burnt Umber in this case.
P1020103.jpg

P1020105.jpg

Here is the front, I only did the lower part as the upper part will be done later.
P1020104.jpg

Then the upper part of the hull was fitted in place and the tools painted before the weathering was applied.
P1020106.jpg

Also the spare road wheels were painted but this time in place.
P1020107.jpg

For the muffler I gave it a light wash of Burnt Sienna, oil again, to represent a small ammount of rust. As this was only a test vehicle I'm not going to weather it too much.
P1020108.jpg

After all dried, I followed with a wash of Naples yellow, again oil, to represent that famous "Russian Yellow dust" where the vehicle was tested.This will be followed by pigments.
P1020109.jpg

The other side.
P1020110.jpg

To give you an idea of how good is the fit of this kit I will tell you that at this point the tracks, the road wheels,the idlers and the sprockets are only dry fitted to the chassis and they stay in place even with me handling it. Now, the turret!

See you soon.
Ruben

Hello my friends. Here's another update on Howard albeit a small one. I painted the Accessories in the turret interior like canteens, mess kits, gas mask canisters and the like. I also did some peels around with a mechanical pencil and some powdered graphite but kept them to a minimum to represent the little use this vehicle have. Here are the four sides of the turret.

Left side...
P1020113.jpg

Rear...
P1020114.jpg

Right side...
P1020115.jpg

And the front.
P1020116.jpg

Next I'm going to glue the breech in place and start dirtying the exterior. I'll show it later.
Let me know what you think.

Ruben

Well guys here's a little more progress.
I applyed the only decal that goes in the vehicle and did some weathering in the outside.
P1020117.jpg

I also painted the tow cable using with Vallejo Panzer Gray and rubbed a coat of graphite powder on top of it.
P1020118.jpg

I think that it still needs more graphite. and of course, a little wash of Burnt Sienna

The cleaning tool was painted with Vallejo Tan and a wash of Raw Umber for the wood; Black with graphite for the metal and Andrea Black for the cover. I used a piece of rigging cord to make the rope that closes the cover.
P1020119.jpg

Then the breech was glued in place.
P1020120.jpg

Here's how it looks all together.
P1020121.jpg

I'll have to remove the paint from the turret ring to make it fit properly in the hull as the fit is very tight right now.

See you soon.
Ruben

Hi fellow modelers!

After some time of inactivity (on the forum not on the hobby.) it is time to show some progress in here. So let me show you what I've been doing.

First the base.
P1020218.jpg

Then the figures.
P1020219.jpg

And everything put together.
P1020234.jpg

P1020230.jpg

P1020232.jpg

P1020233.jpg

P1020223.jpg

And the close up.
P1020226.jpg

I'm going to declare it finished. But, as always, if you think there's anything to improve let me know and I'll try to do it. :cheer:

Cheers
Ruben

looking fine ruben! :) congratulations on having finished this project!

i would apply some more dust to the vehicle but it's not necessarily needed!

Well Laura after reading your comment I took another look at the model and decided that you were right! So I took my pigments and proceed to dirty up the lower hull for a more used look.

Here's the result...
P1020243.jpg

P1020244.jpg

P1020245.jpg

P1020246.jpg

And this is one that I forgot to show before; the dust in the interior floor.
P1020247.jpg

See you
Ruben

Very Nice Ruben. Great work all round on a unique vehicle. Your figures are wonderful.
Nice little scene. :)I envy your ability to finish a project.

Ian.

Back