• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Realistic finish to machine guns...the EASY way.

Ozzie Jo

While perusing my local art supplies store I noticed bottles of liquid graphite paint that I had not seen before. For 3 bucks a bottle I figured it would be worth getting a couple to try them out and I am so glad that I did.

There were two brands to choose from... one being Monte Marte water based and the other Derivan Matisse. I am not sure if latter was water based or not but the range had it's own jars of cleaner so for ease of use I chose a green and blue tint from the first brand.

After being based with black,I applied the liquid graphite to the 1/16 scale MG42 I am working on and noticed it went on smoothly with no trace of brushstrokes.It dried to a nice satin finish that actually resembled real gunmetal and is permanent unlike graphite powder.
Once dry it can even be buffed to a nice shine giving a polished look to the edges and worn areas.I was initially concerned that the colour tint would make it look unrealistic but once it is on the plastic my fears were allayed.

There is not much point to me posting a picture of the finished machine gun as like with pearlescent paint the effect would largely be lost in a happy snap but when the figure I am painting is finished I will post the whole lot.

Interesting paint, but not sold in the states I will look in the art stores and see if I can find a simeler product.
jd

160_opt.jpg
[/img]

Just for moonpuppy.

It was extremely hard to get a photo that showed the true nature of the sheen that buffing gives but this was the best that I could do without a proper set up.Has been painted over with liquid graphite only with no other additions so you can see what it is like.

The brand Derivan Matisse I think is sold in the states ... think Golden Fluid Acrylics but don't quote me on it.

The best thing about this stuff as mentioned is that when dry it is waterproof and permanent.

Hey Aussie Jo,

I have found this at my local discount shop, It really does work extreemley well.

I particularly like the blue mote marte liquid graphite... replicates blued steel gun barrels perfectly!! :laugh:

Cheers,

Jase.

Hmmmm I wonder if there is an online art supply store that might have it ? I do not have a good one in town any more ! :(

Jenny :kiss:

jenny croft wrote:
Hmmmm I wonder if there is an online art supply store that might have it ? I do not have a good one in town any more ! :(

maybe this one?

http://www.artmarte.com.au/epages/artmarte.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/artmarte/Categories/Paint/%22Tinted%20Graphite%20Paint%22

Thanks Jo Anne. (y)
and thanks Laura for the link. :)

It looks like there is really just about eveything you could ask for with the diffrent colors. There is a brown which would cover everything from the 1860's and older, because they did not blue barrels back then. They browned them. And they have a grey which could cover U.S. weapons through WWII. Because they were also not blued, but Parkerized, which is a grey.

And there is also no doubt something that the other colors could be used for.

Gary B)

Looks like good sh!t man .

Got any better pics. ?

Gary , good on you for the breakdown on the weapon [ Allied/Axis ] stuff , thanks .

Cool stuff.

Have to go to the art store today with the kids. It looks like dad will have a look for these :cheer:

EDIT: Crap, I'm back from the store and they didn't even knew what I was talking about :(

Back