• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ratrods forever!

Tim A.

Hey all
Besides modeling I have another passion that I can't afford, fast loud cars. My daily driver is a '66 Mustang which has won some minor awards in the past.

Since we moved south recently I've been visiting the local car show scene too see what the guys are driving down here and I came across this Ratrod that I could tell was a cut above and sure enough after talking to the fella that brought it to the show it was built by the Gas Monkey Garage in Dallas TX. a big name in the HotRod world. He offered to take me for a spin and before I new it we where aired up and cruisin. We got away from the crowd and the eyes and ears of the local police and he launched it from a stop light OH YEAH :ro: Don't let the looks of this jolopy fool ya just like the sticker on the window says it's a rocket!

Tim
000_1823_2_20100827_1467272704.jpg

000_1829_3_20100827_1749093559.jpg

000_1826_1_20100827_1368947088.jpg

what, it got air shocks in the back and raise up off the ground?

http://www.johnsrodshop.com/ these guys are former clients and buddies. I pass their place daily and you never know what they are going to have in the parking lot. Things have been slow for them lately, as you can imagine.

The suspension uses front and rear airbags to raise and lower the frame. controled by a valve under the dash. A hidden air tank supplies the pressure. When parked it actually rests on the ground. It's a very rigid ride.

The builder's rod which this one was based on averaged over 100 mph in a cross country BullRun race.

Moon Puppy nice looking shop. Yeah, the local rodding shops are suffering of course.
The guy who owns this is the owner of Coker tire based here in Chattanooga a popular tire for rodders so he can afford to play I guess. He also had a trailer and chopper built that goes with the car which is why it has a reese hitch and pigtail socket.

Hi Sherman, this is a '31 body chopped and channeled to the limits! well mabey... could have taken a little more off the top :gogo It has no seats just butt and back pads, you sorta lay down in it. Big folks aint gonna fit!

Tim, I've seen that ride in a few of the mags, that would have been sweet to see in person! I agree with you about old iron (that's where the IRON mike comes from), this is what I used to do before I felt the power of the dark side.

NewCamera043.jpg

FordPix092-1.jpg

NewCamera071.jpg

FordPix054.jpg

FordPix052.jpg

Morenewcamerapix036.jpg

My wife says she liked the cars and bikes better, maybe I'll throw in a curve soon. :evil:

Wow Mike very slick builds (y) beautifull job on the chopper motor and I like the skull on the suicide shifter. Yes I think theres room on the bench for a blast from the past. I'd love to see more!

This is a friend of mines '53 Ford Anglia. These things are about the size of a vintage Beetle. His is powered by a sb chevy, He drag raced these back in the '70's.
The other pic is of his small scale ride on version of the Anglia awaiting restoration. I'll bet that is a freaky little thing to drive :lol:

Tim
000_1648_1_20100828_1775699762.jpg

000_1659_2_20100828_1003897030.jpg

Hey Tim! I've got an Anglia kit if you're interested in building one for your buddy, I think it got started, but not too far along to salvage.

Iron Mike wrote:
Hey Tim! I've got an Anglia kit if you're interested in building one for your buddy, I think it got started, but not too far along to salvage.

Funny you should mention that Mike. He had a street rod kit of it (probably the one you have) that he wanted altered into a replica of his '70's Anglia drag car named "Rufus" but we moved before I could get started on it.

Here's my lovely wife in my stepdad's '79 Vette and a shot of my project, the Mustang.

Tim
patti_1_20100829_1199014530.jpg

mustang_2_20100829_2053175042.jpg

Hood - Sweet looking Mustang! I like your friends Anglia. That black paint looks perfect.

Iron Mike - Great looking models

Moon Puppy - I would loose my job if lived near a shop like Johnson's - Wow they do some outstanding work with cars there.

Thanks Sherman, it's got a long way to go. Sorta wish I had held out for a fastback though.

Yes, John's Anglia is a show stopper. He did all the work himself including the paint. It took him nine years to build.
I plan on having him paint the Mustang one of these years.

Tim

Back