• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

RAF bomber codes

razordws

Maybe I'm just tripping on the rivets here but I am doing a Lancaster for the D-Day campaign and I want to do PO*S for which Hasegawa has included two decal options. One with the yellow high vis outlines on the squadron letters and one without. The one without the yellow outline says May 1944 in the instructions and the one with the yellow outline says summer of 1944.

Does anyone know when they went with the yellow outline for this particular aircraft or when the order was given to go to the yellow outline in general. I'm just wondering which one would be more appropriate for the D-Day landing time frame as they both seem pretty close according to the instructions.

According to the RAF Museums history of R5868, the yellow outline was started in 5 Group in mid to late Aug 44 as they were conducting more daylight raids. PO-S R5868 was heavily damaged on a mission on 18/19 Jul 44 and was undergoing depot level repairs until 17 Nov 44 before returning to 467 Sqn. She also had 4 new Merlin 22 engines, H2S and "Rebecca" installed at this time.

R5868's mission tally should be between 104, flown 06 Jun, and 111, flown 29 Jun (first daylight mission for 467 Sqn & first for "Sugar" since Jul 42) if the time frame for the build is still D-Day to D+26.

NF910 became aircraft "S" during it's absence, being recoded "Q" when she returned.

Cheers,
Rich

The yellow outline seems to appear most often on pictures of 5 Group aircraft. However, No. 1 & 5 Group did a fair bit of experimenting with high visibility markings to assist in daylight formation flying. (The dull red codes were only visible inside of 500 yds.) Some of the other markings included various coloured stripes and patterns on the tails, solid painted wingtips and fins, Type C roundels on the upper wings and repeating aircraft letter on the vertical tail or the entire aircraft code on the upper surface of the tail-planes. GEE-H aircraft were identified with 2 yellow bands on the vertical stabilizers.

Cheers,
Rich

Back