• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

QUICK BASES - Lots and lots of great ideas

shawngehling

Quick Bases - Brick Roads

How to make a “Brick Road” Quick Base:

Items needed:
1. Inexpensive “Dollar Store” picture frame.
2. Foam-core board (paper/foam/paper).
3.Various acrylic paints.
4.Paint brushes.
5.Artist Pastels (“Alphacolor” Earth Tones).
6.Hobby-knife.
7.White glue (“Elmers” all purpose glue).
8.“Noch” Plastic vac-u-form brick Sheet (Gray #6006 & Tan #6005) I don’t know if NOCH still makes this item? I have also scribed the brickwork into the foam-core board with the dull side of a hobby-knife. You can remove one side of the paper and scribe the brickwork into the foam for a more worn and damaged look.
9.If using the “Noch” brickwork, either leave it the color it comes or it can be painted “ColorPlace” Red Oxide Primer (#20011) and sealed with “ColorPlace” Clear (#20014). If you are making the brickwork out of foam-core board only use acrylic paints as oil based paints will eat away at the foam-core board.
10.Felt pads.

a. Start with a “dollar store” 5 2/8” X 10 5/8” picture frame (exterior dimensions of approximately 6 5/8” X 12”). They have two types at our “Dollar Store” plastic, which has a picture in it and wooden, which holds two 3” X 5” photos.
a_base_frame_01_20100207_1034943719.jpg
[/img]
Discard the glass and cardboard backing. Remove the wall hanging hardware if there is any already attached.
b.Using your hobby-knife, cut the foam-core board to fit the frame, and bend the holders to secure the foam-core board.
base_frames_with_phomecore_board_20100207_1401134185.jpg

c.Remove the foam-core board from the frame. Insert the “NOCH” brick sheet, which fits right into the frame or paint and seal it a red brick color.
redbrick_base_weathered_20100207_1017552329.jpg

sand_brick_quick_base_in_frame_20100207_2046164684.jpg

Or Verlinden makes a 3-D paper sheet of brick work.
quickbase_roadway_20100207_1408878053.jpg

If you don’t have the plastic brickwork sheet and you are going to scribe the brickwork into the foam-core board do it now. You can also remove one side of the paper on the foam-core board and then scribed the bricks into it. It gives it a more worn and damaged look. Secure it to the foam-core board with your “Elmers” all purpose white glue.
d.Paint the brick the color that you want. Red or Tan for a desert scene.
e.Give it a heavy black wash (black acrylic paint watered down).
f.When dry, Dry-brush lighter shades of dust or dirt, until you get the desired look.
g.When completely dry, flip it over and attach the self-adhesive type felt pads and you are ready to display a model.
h.If you want more dirt/dust for your base, use ground up pastel chalk to add more realism.
Let your imagination run wild.
I will post other "Quick Bases" that I have built (non brick road) also.
Shawn

How to make a “Hard packed dirt road with grass edges” Quick Base:

Items needed:
1.Inexpensive “Dollar Store” picture frame.
2.Foam-core board (paper/foam/paper).
4.Paint brushes.
6.Spackling paste (dry-wall repair paste).
7.Hobby-knife.
8.White glue (“Elmers” all purpose glue).
9.Hobby grass sheet (this is “Holiday Time” Dept 18 Christmas Green Lawn item #M-P60901CC) Christmas village accessory from “Wal-Mart”.
10.Felt pads.

a. Start with a “dollar store” 8” X 10” picture frame (exterior dimensions of approximately 9.5” X 12”). Discard the glass and cardboard backing.
a_base_frame_01_20100207_1034943719.jpg

Remove the wall hanging hardware if there is any already attached.
b.Using your hobby-knife, cut the foam-core board to fit the frame, and bend the holders to secure the foam-core board.
base_frames_with_phomecore_board_20100207_1401134185.jpg

c.Remove the foam-core board from the frame. Using your hobby-knife, cut the grass sheet to fit and secure it to the foam-core board with your “Elmers” all purpose white glue.
d.Add a center strip of grass if you would like. Remember to save what is left over for other projects. You can raise the grass area with more foam-core board if you want deeper ruts (see my “Dirt Country Track” Quick Base) as an example.
rso_on_dirt_country_track_20100207_1480009337.jpg

lang_on_dirt_country_track_20100207_1155243378.jpg

e.Mix your paint (“Delta Ceramcoat”- “Spice Brown #20404”) with “Spackle” paste to make a muddy texture, add a little (“Apple Barrel” – “black #02049”) paint to darken the mud. Remember to blend it into the grass at the edge of the roadway. I didn’t want deep ruts in this hard packed dirt road, so I didn’t use tires or tank tracks from the spare parts box. If you are going to add these, do it while the mud is still wet.
f.When dry, Dry-brush lighter shades of dirt (“Apple Barrel” – “Toffee #20576” and “Territorial Beige #20558”) until you get the desired look. Remember to dry-brush some one the grass as dust would have blown there.
g.When completely dry, flip it over and attach the self-adhesive type felt pads and you are ready to display a model.
h.If you want more dirt/dust for your base, use ground up pastel chalk to add more realism.
Enjoy, more to follow
Shawn

Quick bases textured paper and scrapbook paper

How to make “Scrap book paper or R/R textured cardboard” Quick Base:

Items needed:
4.Paint brushes.
6.Hobby-knife.
8.“Scrap booking paper" Sheets, or textured cardboard used for model railroad tunnels.
Take a walk through your local scrap-booking store or through the train section and see
what is available.
9.Felt pads.

a. Start with a “dollar store” 5 2/8” X 10 5/8” picture frame (exterior dimensions of approximately 6 5/8” X 12”). They have two types at our “Dollar Store” plastic, which has a picture in it and wooden, which holds two 3” X 5” photos. Discard the glass and cardboard backing. Remove the wall hanging hardware if there is any already attached.
c.Remove the foam-core board from the frame. Cut a scrap book sheet or R/R textured sheet of paper to fit your frame.
multi-color_brick_20100207_2080556754.jpg

cut_stone_road_with_isu-152_20100207_1867788735.jpg

You can also put sidewalks in made of foam core board.
jeep_on_street_with_sidewalk_20100207_1914965169.jpg

Secure it to the foam-core board with your “Elmers” all purpose white glue.
d.When dry, Dry-brush lighter shades of dust or dirt, until you get the desired look.
e.When completely dry, flip it over and attach the self-adhesive type felt pads and you are ready to display a model.
f.If you want more dirt/dust for your base, use ground up pastel chalk to add more realism.

Rail road shops carry a wide variety of textured surfaces
for tunnels and such. Here is one.

Enjoy, Happy modeling
Shawn

Re: Quick Bases - Hard packed dirt roads & grass edges

Excellent tutorial Shawn I might try that process for my Panther, if I ever finish it

Re:Quick Bases - Hard packed dirt roads & grass edges

Andy,
Glad you liked it and please post what you make to show how easy
it is to do... They are really light too if you use foam core board
for the underlay.
What is really nice, it the fact that you can do it in any size you
want, so that it can display any vehicle (or wingy thingy for that
matter) Those bases are even easier as they are usually large
rectangles of concrete.
I will try and post more this week as I have made some with building
facades too.
Shawn

Please Do, Shawn !

Plus hats off to whoever moved this thread up from the bottom, brilliant idea !

andyfettes wrote:
By thread I meant the tip and tricks section

You can thank Moonpuppy for that. He's always thinking.

B)

Even a blind nut finds a squirrel every now and then....wait.. That ain't right, Even a nut blinds a squirrel.... no that' a'int it either.

I have my days!!! :mpup

Re:Quick Bases - Brick Roads

Hi Shawn.

Thank you for posting these easy S B S threads that we talked about. While it is true that they may not be as visually pleasing as a complex diorama, they are great for a very nice method of displaying your models rather than just sitting them on a shelf.

Gary B)

Hi Shawn.

Another great and simple idea for a quick display (y) .

I was looking at this and thinking that it would also be a great method to do the same thing as you have here, but without the road part, for WWII aircraft. Just a grass field with an Me-109, or Spitfire Vb etc.

Gary B)

Gary,
I have that one coming too...
Stand by and I'll post it later.
Grass and the concrete ones to follow.
Shawn

Quick Bases - With building facade

How to make a “Brick Road with facade” Quick Base:

Items needed:
2. Foam-core board (paper/foam/paper).
4.Paint brushes.
6.Hobby-knife.
8.Chrismas Village brick
9. Building facade is cut out of foam core board and scribed the brickwork into the foam-core board with the dull side of a hobby-knife. You can remove one side of the paper and scribe the brickwork into the foam for a more worn and damaged look.
use acrylic paints as oil based paints will eat away at the foam-core board.
10. Kitty litter
11. Felt pads.

a. Start with a “dollar store” 5 2/8” X 10 5/8” picture frame (exterior dimensions of approximately 6 5/8” X 12”). They have two types at our “Dollar Store” plastic, which has a picture in it and wooden, which holds two 3” X 5” photos. Discard the glass and cardboard backing. Remove the wall hanging hardware if there is any already attached.
c.Remove the foam-core board from the frame. Insert the Christmas village brick sheet, which fits right into the frame or paint and seal it a red brick color. Scribe the brickwork into the foam-core board building facade. You can also remove one side of the paper on the foam-core board and then scribed the bricks into it. It gives it a more worn and damaged look. Also scribe the sidewalk if you plan to use one as seen in this quick base. Secure it to the foam-core board with your “Elmers” all purpose white glue.
d.Paint the brick the color that you want. (Rubble too) some can be painted black for burnt effect. I didn't before I took these pictures... Red or Tan for a desert scene.
e.Give it a heavy black wash (black acrylic paint watered down).
facade_with_brick_road_front_20100209_1605087865.jpg

facade_with_brick_road_left_20100209_1827778858.jpg

facade_with_brick_road_right_20100209_1401622969.jpg

facade_with_brick_road_rear_20100209_1082105957.jpg

facade_with_brick_road_overhead_20100209_1613724556.jpg

f.When dry, Dry-brush lighter shades of dust or dirt, until you get the desired look.
I did this quick base when I was visiting my son, so I can't show you more, but you can just do anything that you want with these.
Enjoy
Shawn

Quick Bases - concrete tarmacs and grass runways

How to make a “Concrete Tarmacs and grass runways” Quick Base:

Items needed:
4.Paint brushes.
7.Hobby-knife.
9.Hobby grass sheet (this is “Holiday Time” Dept 18 Christmas Green Lawn item #M-P60901CC) Christmas village accessory from “Wal-Mart”.
10.Felt pads.

a. Start with a “dollar store” 8” X 10” picture frame (exterior dimensions of approximately 9.5” X 12”). Discard the glass and cardboard backing. Remove the wall hanging hardware if there is any already attached.
c.Remove the foam-core board from the frame. Using your hobby-knife, cut the grass sheet to fit and secure it to the foam-core board with your “Elmers” all purpose white glue.
d.Add grass for the grass runway (sorry I'll have to find that picture)Remember to save what is left over for other projects.
e.Scribe the concrete slabs in with the back side of a hobby knife. If you plan to make the concrete tarmacs. Black wash to taste.
48th scale:
flightline_48th_scale_20100209_1061574811.jpg

72nd scale:
flightline_72nd_scale_20100209_1009810389.jpg

Remember to not make the angled with the base.
f.When completely dry, flip it over and attach the self-adhesive type felt pads and you are ready to display a model.
g.If you want more dirt/dust for your base, use ground up pastel chalk to add more realism.

Quick Bases - Cobblestone road

How to make a “Cobblestone Brick Road” Quick Base:

Items needed:
1. Inexpensive “Dollar Store” (wooden) picture frame.
2. Pressed board backing. Remove the swing arm that helps the picture frame stand up. (I used two backings for more support).
4.Paint brushes.
6.Hobby-knife.
8.Package of “Green Split Peas” any brand will do.
9.“Right-On” water-based clear finish (Sealer).
10.Seal frame and pressed board backing with “ColorPlace” Clear (#20014
11.Felt pads.

a. Start with a “dollar store” 5 2/8” X 10 5/8” picture frame (exterior dimensions of approximately 6 5/8” X 12”). They have two types at our “Dollar Store” plastic, which has a picture in it and wooden, which holds two 3” X 5” photos. I used the wooden one that comes with a pressed board backing. Discard the glass but save the pressed board backing.
b.When dry apply white glue to a small area and arrange split peas as a road surface. Continue until entire surface is covered.
c.Remove the pressed board (covered with split peas, from the frame. When white glue is dry, seal it with your water based finish (make sure you have completely sealed it, as you do not want bugs to get into it later.
cobblestones_green_20100210_1751284893.jpg

d.Paint the cobblestone bricks the color that you want.
cobblestones_painted_grey_20100210_1436075220.jpg

e.When dry, seal it again with your clear spray paint.
f.Give it a heavy black wash (black acrylic paint watered down).
cobblestones_blackwashed_20100210_1932547458.jpg

g.When dry, Dry-brush lighter shades of dust or dirt, until you get the desired look.
h.When completely dry, flip it over and attach the self-adhesive type felt pads and you are ready to display a model.
i.If you want more dirt/dust for your base, use ground up pastel chalk to add more realism.

Re: Quick Bases - With building facade

Fantastic idea the only thing that I would do different is not to have the roadway nor buildings parralel to the frame

IM thoroughly enjoying these tutorials !

A

Re:Quick Bases - With building facade

Andy,
Great input, I usually don't, I was just throwing it together for
the guys in the model group (Auburn Alabama), when I was down
visiting my son a few Summers ago...
Thanks for pointing it out... I think I put that in the info,
maybe it was in one of the others that I posted?
They say the mind is the 1st thing to go...
Look something shinny... :silly:
Hey, they say the mind is the 1st thing to go...
:huh: :eek:hmy: :S
Shawn

Re:Quick Bases - concrete tarmacs and grass runways

As promised,
here is a grass runway, which can be used for tanks and vehicles too.
grass_quick_base_20100210_2033227253.jpg

Here is is supporting a tank.
grass_with_tank_20100210_1386240151.jpg

Enjoy
Shawn

Quick bases - dirt road no grass

How to make a “Hard packed dirt road with a barrel” Quick Base:

Items needed:
4.Paint brushes.
7.Hobby-knife.
9.Scale wooden barrel (damaged).
10.Felt pads.

a. Start with a “dollar store” 8” X 10” picture frame (exterior dimensions of approximately 9.5” X 12”). Discard the glass and cardboard backing. Remove the wall hanging hardware if there is any already attached.
c.Remove the foam-core board from the frame. Using your hobby-knife, cut more foam-core board to raise the road edges and secure it to the foam-core board with your “Elmers” all purpose white glue.
d.Add a center strip if you would like. Remember to save what is left over for other projects.
e.Mix your paint (“Delta Ceramcoat”- “Spice Brown #20404”) with “Spackle” paste to make a muddy texture, add a little (“Apple Barrel” – “black #02049”) paint to darken the mud. I didn’t want deep ruts in this hard packed dirt road, but I didn’t use tires and tank tracks from the spare parts box. If you are going to add these, do it while the mud is still wet. I added the broken barrel at this time too.
f.When dry, Dry-brush lighter shades of dirt (“Apple Barrel” – “Toffee #20576” and “Territorial Beige #20558”) until you get the desired look. Remember to dry-brush some one the grass as dust would have blown there.
As you can see the sides of the road are raised using foam core board.
dirt_road_with_barrel_20100210_1263890560.jpg

Here's a tank on that quick base.
dirt_road_with_tank_and_barel_20100210_1525324600.jpg

Back