• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Question for Engine guys.

jknaus

Administrator
I think someone who works with engines would maybe be able to help me here. I am starting to build the engine for my Roland. The block is a 2 piece aluminum construction with wet sump. There are 6 steel cylinders attached. My question is would the aluminum engine show signs of heating or what type of weathering would be appropriate? Like should I do some bluing or orange near the cylinders or would it stay the same colour? Would the only weathering be oil and grease? Thanks in advance.
James

I don't ever recall seeing weathering on the engine blocks other than slight oil. Engines are kept as clean as possible to view leaks and cracks and even the grease is not black on the aircraft I volunteered to restore.

Regards,

I don't ever recall seeing weathering on the engine blocks other than slight oil. Engines are kept as clean as possible to view leaks and cracks and even the grease is not black on the aircraft I volunteered to restore.

Regards,

Thats kind of the way I'm leaning. But as almost all of the a/c engines I've ever worked on havent been aluminum I thought I should ask.
James

Funny Car/Top Fuel engines do not discolor. Aluminum Model T or A or Flat V8 heads do not discolor. GM's Saturn all aluminum blocks and heads (Poris casting) never discolored even after 200,000 miles. Now the inside does from the hot oil baking to the surface. That color is a dark brown. On cars, the early engines leak - a lot, because of the gaskets not sealing well. Also in the early days performance/race engines used a castrol oil. That stuff will make anything leak. If an early engine (I going off early Ford conversions) has overhead valves - they spit oil all over. Giving the engine on back a good coat of oil. Early engine the compustion camber, I should say the piston rings do not seal like todays engines. This causes carbon to get into the oil system dirting it pretty quick. Sharkmouth is right aircarft engines are looked after more than new born babies. Or another way to think about it is they are like F1 cars.

After welding aluminum the surface around the weld turns white next to the weld and black/brown on the out edges of the heat pattern. The weld itself is shiny. The white, black and or brown color wipes right off with your fingers. The only time I have ever seen aluminum discolor from heat is during welding and it turns a whitish silver.

After I put all this down, it comes to me. If your car is made after 1995 it should be just plastic and aluminum. (unless you have a Ford, GM or Dodge Pickup) So pop the hood and see how it looks.

Hope I helped a little for you. If you want to model an aluminum engine failure I can tell you how that looks.

Thanks. I guess this will be fairly pristine with a gloss coat, maybe with a drop of Tamiya smoke in it to look kind of filmy oily. No heat distress.
James

2010_nhra_california_hot_rod_reunion_bakersfield_famoso_chrr_nostalgia_drags_retro_rods_02212.jpg

Burned and broken aluminum engine parts.

I've been looking for a picture!

2010_nhra_california_hot_rod_reunion_bakersfield_famoso_chrr_nostalgia_drags_retro_rods_02212.jpg

Burned and broken aluminum engine parts.

I've been looking for a picture!

You should have told me, I could have gotten a good picture of the Brand New Buick engine that blew on me the other week... :blink

GM made good and replaced. Oil Pressure Regulator failed.

Hi James, I can't speak on the Rolland engine but from my personal experience, I can assure you that that Radial engines are famous for their oil leaks to the point of getting the quote of "if it ain't leaking it's out of oil. They all had large capacity oil tanks and an eight hour flight used a lot of oil.

I have seen jet engines have rust on the outer casings due to the heat degrading the paint finish. A lot of these things depends on whether the engine required actually required some maintenance over the number of hours before being removed for scheduled maintenance.

Cheers, Christian B)

Here's another tidbit from the cob webs in my mind. I had a friend that owned and flew two P-51's and a Corsair. He always complained of cooling leaks to the point where the system would have to be disassembled and repaired ( a lot of glycol ). Loss of glycol causes overheating and consequently oil leaks.

The Corsair being a radial just leaked oil profusely ( of course ) and it also had an alcohol tank forward of the engine, so it was not unusual to have both on the windshield during the same flight.

Not always as clean as the crew chief might desire for it to be...Those early engines were probably way worse.

Cheers, Christian

Thanks Chris. The only radials I've worked on where on the Tracker.

trackr10.jpg

Every other a/c I've worked on has been either jet or turbo prop. I just missed out on working on The Argus but the ramp still had the oil spots and I saw them fly.
argsub2.jpg

Here is an interesting bit of history.

The Argus had a reputation as a workhorse and had tremendous endurance. With a flight crew of five, and an additional six sensor operators, the Aircraft flew missions in excess of twenty hours frequently. An Argus flown by 407 Maritime Patrol Squadron held the record for the longest flight by an unrefuelled Aircraft, slightly over 31 hours. This record stood for almost twenty years until broken by a Rutan experimental Aircraft which circled the globe unrefuelled. The Aircraft served from the 50's to the 80's until it was replaced by the current CP-140 Aurora

I worked on Auroras in 407 and I think my longest flight was 16 or so hours.
James

Back