• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

PV-1 Nightfighter-FINISHED !

PV-1 Nightfighter-episode 5, paint

Holy time limit Batman, less than six weeks to go, looks like me and a lot of others need to get busy, last post in the campaign before this one was late May !

This will be a short update, I actually had most of the decals on a couple weeks after my last post but as almost always is the case there is one thing that stalls the build and in this case it was the decals. I had none of the Marine style decals but they seemed to be a cinch to make, a simple bar of white decal stock and an early war star in a ball. I had some Yellow Wings stars and since I had heard nothing but good things about them, decided to use them. All went well until they dried out and I noticed the blue top color darkened the area of the star that wasn't over the white bar. I was a bit disappointed in the Yellow Wings stars as I assumed they would be more opaque. Makes me wonder if the white would look more cream color if used on a plane with yellow wings. I didn't however feel inclined to do anything about it at this point as it isn't all that noticeable at a normal viewing distance and I hope once it gets a good amount of weathering it won't be that noticeable, to others anyway.

The other decal issue was making the nose art. I only had an artists recondition that was included with the profile I was using. I suppose if I had an ounce of talent I could have whipped something up. Instead I scanned the profile at high resolution. This resulted in a highly pixelated scan that I spent hours in Paint Shop Pro cleaning up and separating the white part from the name, doing a lot of this one pixel at a time. I eventually ended up with something I could use once scaled and printed them out. It doesn't quite match the artwork on the plane but the one in the profile didn't either and overall I was pleased with how it came out.

Not a lot of markings on the aircraft, photos and the profile show something on one of the tail fins, too small to read on either, most likely a serial number. I did not include it.

pv1-b37.jpg

Nose art, works for me, not perfect but close, you can compare it with the photo near the beginning of this thread.

pv1-b38.jpg

Hard to see in the photo but it's more noticeable in person where the color bled through the white in the star.

pv1-b39.jpg

Anyway next up is getting it dirty, the aircraft I'm modeling apparently ad a serious engine problem as there are oil stains everywhere, not to mention all the effects of the location they operated in so stay tuned.

Well if you didn't get such a close up photo of it we wouldn't have seen it! :rotf

Nose art turned out great

:popcorn

Holy time limit Batman, less than six weeks to go, looks like me and a lot of others need to get busy, last post in the campaign before this one was late May !

This will be a short update, I actually had most of the decals on a couple weeks after my last post but as almost always is the case there is one thing that stalls the build and in this case it was the decals. I had none of the Marine style decals but they seemed to be a cinch to make, a simple bar of white decal stock and an early war star in a ball. I had some Yellow Wings stars and since I had heard nothing but good things about them, decided to use them. All went well until they dried out and I noticed the blue top color darkened the area of the star that wasn't over the white bar. I was a bit disappointed in the Yellow Wings stars as I assumed they would be more opaque. Makes me wonder if the white would look more cream color if used on a plane with yellow wings. I didn't however feel inclined to do anything about it at this point as it isn't all that noticeable at a normal viewing distance and I hope once it gets a good amount of weathering it won't be that noticeable, to others anyway.

Love the PV-1 Garry . Interestingly, for a moment I thought this was the same post as the one being built on ARC....But I think his has a black bottom.

Great looking plane (y) (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

The other decal issue was making the nose art. I only had an artists recondition that was included with the profile I was using. I suppose if I had an ounce of talent I could have whipped something up. Instead I scanned the profile at high resolution. This resulted in a highly pixelated scan that I spent hours in Paint Shop Pro cleaning up and separating the white part from the name, doing a lot of this one pixel at a time. I eventually ended up with something I could use once scaled and printed them out. It doesn't quite match the artwork on the plane but the one in the profile didn't either and overall I was pleased with how it came out.

Not a lot of markings on the aircraft, photos and the profile show something on one of the tail fins, too small to read on either, most likely a serial number. I did not include it.

pv1-b37.jpg

Nose art, works for me, not perfect but close, you can compare it with the photo near the beginning of this thread.

pv1-b38.jpg

Hard to see in the photo but it's more noticeable in person where the color bled through the white in the star.

pv1-b39.jpg

Anyway next up is getting it dirty, the aircraft I'm modeling apparently ad a serious engine problem as there are oil stains everywhere, not to mention all the effects of the location they operated in so stay tuned.

looks good!
De-icers were usually removed to prevent drag if torn or damaged. leaving bare metal under them so a top coat of paint is about right.

Whoopee, finished with hours to spare. I really got out of sync with this kit, the long time period between paint and decals got me off track. I had intended on doing some fading coats but forgot about them until I already had the decals on. I did go back and do some but I didn't lighten the coats enough so although I can see it in person it doesn't show well in the photos. Like most builds there were some things that didn't go my way and things I would change if I built it again but overall I'm pleased and it will make a nice addition in my display case. Anyway, here she is, warts and all...

pv1-b40.jpg

pv1-b41.jpg

pv1-b42.jpg

pv1-b43.jpg

pv1-b44.jpg

pv1-b45.jpg

pv1-b46.jpg

pv1-b47.jpg

Tough to get bottom shots, too much delicate stuff on top

pv1-b48.jpg

pv1-b49.jpg

Thanks for looking in !

Very well done Ventura Gary. That modified night fighter nose looks way better than the original.

Very clean build . Really not too late to fade it . We'll just call it done now. (y)

Makes me want to build another. :)

I really like the way you made that antenna junction (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys, Chris, it actually has more fade on it than the photos reveal, I would have liked to have gotten some out door shots but the sun was gone when I finished. The antennas gave me fits and some Venturas had all of those plus two more running to the wingtips. Almost as bad a rigging a biplane :gogo

Whoopee, finished with hours to spare. I really got out of sync with this kit, the long time period between paint and decals got me off track. I had intended on doing some fading coats but forgot about them until I already had the decals on. I did go back and do some but I didn't lighten the coats enough so although I can see it in person it doesn't show well in the photos. Like most builds there were some things that didn't go my way and things I would change if I built it again but overall I'm pleased and it will make a nice addition in my display case. Anyway, here she is, warts and all...

pv1-b40.jpg

pv1-b41.jpg

pv1-b42.jpg

pv1-b43.jpg

pv1-b44.jpg

pv1-b45.jpg

pv1-b46.jpg

pv1-b47.jpg

Tough to get bottom shots, too much delicate stuff on top

pv1-b48.jpg

pv1-b49.jpg

Thanks for looking in !

Great job Gary, well done. :coolio Love the effect you got on the exhaust pipes, the different looking metals and all. Very well done! :notworthy :notworthy

Thank you gentlemen for all your kind remarks. In spite of the mods this was one of the most enjoyable builds I've done in a long time. I really like the Revell kit and may do another one in the future.

Glad to read this Gary, might want to try my hand at one myself. Did they have a NMF version?

Back