• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

PV-1 Nightfighter-FINISHED !

You are a hoot Bob :rotf Is a NMF some sort of self abuse for you ? It was used by a bunch of different countries and the USAAF used them as navigation trainers, I'll look and see what I can find !

You are a hoot Bob :rotf Is a NMF some sort of self abuse for you ?

It could be worse... :D

I actually meant to throw in a smilie on that but I guess I'm committed. :facepalm

You have to admit Gary, I have nailed NMF, just not over the entire aircraft... It's gonna happen one day. :pilot

I didn't find many NMF PV-1's at least not during war time. There were a few that served as executive ships for admirals and the like in NMF but they were also stripped of armament and had a full set of side windows like the civilian ships. Here is one on Iwo Jima in July of 1945 in RAAF markings...

pv1-nmf-1.jpg

And a post war RCAF bird from around 1952...

pv1-nmf-2.jpg

My issue with NMF is I usually want to depict one with a lightly weathered finish and with paint it ends up looking like gray paint. The best ones I've seen with that sort of finish have been done with aluminum foil and I'm not sure I want to go that route.

I didn't find many NMF PV-1's at least not during war time. There were a few that served as executive ships for admirals and the like in NMF but they were also stripped of armament and had a full set of side windows like the civilian ships. Here is one on Iwo Jima in July of 1945 in RAAF markings...

pv1-nmf-1.jpg

And a post war RCAF bird from around 1952...

pv1-nmf-2.jpg

My issue with NMF is I usually want to depict one with a lightly weathered finish and with paint it ends up looking like gray paint. The best ones I've seen with that sort of finish have been done with aluminum foil and I'm not sure I want to go that route.

Actually Garry , there is a guy that I've been running into at shows the last few years and the foil seems to be his passion.
As the models age, they start out looking very shinny but improve with age as they tarnish. Very nice :D

Cheers, Christian B)

I've seen a number online that look really great, you can soak the foil in a variety of solutions for different effects before applying it, not sure I would have the patience for it. Getting it smoothed out around compound curves must be a real PITA. Getting paint to stick to it can be a challenge as well and your masking material can pull the foil back off if you use the wrong stuff !

Ken Friend is his name and he's a member here but I haven't seen him online in a while, let's see if we can rattle his cage a bit.

Gary I know what you're talking about and that's why I was trying to get that mirror finish on my F86 to over compensate for the weathering, sort of like having stark contrast in fade jobs only to have it blend in when you get it weathered up.

Back