• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Print Media vs. the Internet and Magazine subscr.

wds

(Or does this go in "Help Me"?)

Back in the day when I started modeling the only source of info other than other modelers (club or show, or the hobby shop) was the odd magazine or book. In this information age, the instructive material that is available on the interwebis staggering (in a very good way). I just let my subscription to Fine Scale Modeler lapse because I felt there was more and better material available for “free” on-line. Do any of you subscribe (either to on-line material or print media)? If so, which ones and why. If you write or otherwise work for a particular periodical, please so state, or opt out.

Thanks.

Bill

I paid for a 3 year subscription a while back for FSM. I have notice lately the builds and techniques are slightly above beginner stage, if that. And when they do have some high end uber detailed scratch built thing, it's 3 or 4 pictures and as many paragraphs. I want to see how the guy built that 1:16th scale B17 from scratch, not the pictures of it completed. Guess I need to look for other mags for that stuff.

My only affiliation with the industry is this site, I invest my time maintaining the site and I get payback in learning from our Masters and everyone else. I think I get more than paid back in what I invest here. That doesn't leave me much time to surf the other sites, I just hope I'm not missing anything.

moon puppy wrote:
I paid for a 3 year subscription a while back for FSM. I have notice lately the builds and techniques are slightly above beginner stage, if that. And when they do have some high end uber detailed scratch built thing, it's 3 or 4 pictures and as many paragraphs. I want to see how the guy built that 1:16th scale B17 from scratch, not the pictures of it completed. Guess I need to look for other mags for that stuff.

My only affiliation with the industry is this site, I invest my time maintaining the site and I get payback in learning from our Masters and everyone else. I think I get more than paid back in what I invest here. That doesn't leave me much time to surf the other sites, I just hope I'm not missing anything.

What you have noticed about FSM has been going on for a while now. I even seen a model one time that had silvered decals. I read MMIR where I have picked up some good painting tips, I get most of what I have learned in the past few years from this and other web sites.

Terry B)

I still buy magazines - however this is always on occasion and usually for a particular article, normally written by someone I've met (via the internet). I tend not to be brand loyal (yeah, I know... I'm such a whore :silly: ). I have a 45m - 1hr home-work train commute either way and kill time read mags.

I'm guessing you mean working for printed media/periodical? Nope, but I did help found Historicus Forma, managed it for 2 years (although when one has a fantastic team there is little management to be done :) ) and have in excess of 50 product reviews and 10 feature articles published through them (and some other Kitmaker sites).

I subscribed to FSM for a number of years back in high school and college, but I let my subscription lapse 7 or 8 years ago. I wasn't overly impressed by the quality of the models at that point either, and their product reviews were dated compared to what you could get on the Internet.

Nowadays, the only print mag I buy is MMiR, though I buy issue by issue, and not by subscription. I like the humor in MMiR (that darn Pat Stansell!), their build ups are usually very good, and though the product previews might often be dated, the sheer volume of stuff they preview is always impressive and there is always a lot that is new to me. I did subscibe to MMI for a few years, and I thought it was much better than FSM (admittedly, however, I did write an article for MMI once, so I guess I am a little biased).

David

The only print magazines I get now are TMMI and MMI. I really like the overall quality of not just the articles, but the photography of the models.

I just wish they would go digital with Zinio or some other online service - Yes, I'm an iPad owner :woohoo:

I've been getting Military Modelling since I came back to the hobby. Although in some ways it is a little dated compared to some, it features a lot more articles I actually want to read; mostly the ones on brit and allied armour.

Crucially for me it goes 'in-depth' on the builds from opening the box right through to completion usually. In fact, when I wrote an article for them I expected it to be edited because it was quite long (it ended up being nine pages). the printed every word! Too many magazines have too brief build articles IMHO

I also really rate AFV modeller. Its a tad epensive, but drips quality and they pick what I think are some of the best modellers around to write them. which means I probably won't make it in there :notworthy but inspirational all the same

Since started the business I have started reading more or the magazines and I really like MMiR, TMMI, Military in Scale and Military Modelcraft as well

The net is a great place to find out stuff and get inspired, but when I'm at the bench I do much prefer paper media to peering at a screen :)

jenny croft wrote:
tanktrax wrote:
- Yes, I'm an iPad owner :woohoo:

My secretary accidentally dropped hers in the toilet :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Wouldn't have thought an iPad could fit in a toilet bowl. Must have been a big toilet. Suppose there's a first time for everything :laugh: Was it an iPood after that incident?

Actually I really feel for her... a few years ago as I leant forward to flush the loo my phone fell out my breast pocket right into the bowl :pinch: I've never plunged my hand into a dirty toilet bowl as quickly as I did that day. :laugh: Needless to say the phone worked pretty shit after that :silly:

I used to get everything out there. FSM was one of my favorites. Then about 15 years ago they started getting crappy. I only buy them now because that's the only mag in town and at only 2 stores. I get SAMI but it is so expensive now, and I'm not keen on paying so much for a mag full of hand painted planes. My local drug store is trying to get in Military Modeler and I search the web for MMiR. I really cant stand reading off of computer screens (funny as I'm a techno junkie) but for what you get in a mag, I get 100% more from TNT and PMM and LSP and PF. TNT is the best of all though because its like having a family of modeling friends living at home with you. On a down side though, the library in the throne room is becoming understocked, and I refuse to take a computer to the john,
James

jknaus wrote:
I used to get everything out there. FSM was one of my favorites. Then about 15 years ago they started getting crappy. I only buy them now because that's the only mag in town and at only 2 stores. I get SAMI but it is so expensive now, and I'm not keen on paying so much for a mag full of hand painted planes. My local drug store is trying to get in Military Modeler and I search the web for MMiR. I really cant stand reading off of computer screens (funny as I'm a techno junkie) but for what you get in a mag, I get 100% more from TNT and PMM and LSP and PF. TNT is the best of all though because its like having a family of modeling friends living at home with you. On a down side though, the library in the throne room is becoming understocked, and I refuse to take a computer to the john,
James

Ah yes well let my secretaries actions be a lesson to all , do not take electric stuff to the toilet !

Jenny :kiss:

Re:The Internet and Magazine subscriptions.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess it is really a question of whether you need a hardcopy in hand, or is viewing it on a monitor OK? I too like a good magazine, but I balk at the high prices. I would like to buy every magazine and reference book out there (of course) but lets be sensible. Besides, all that reading and drooling over other’s work cuts into building time. This past week I browsed and purchased some back issues of Scale Military Modeler International at my hobby shop. It looks like a good one, but at $8 per issue it won’t be a regular purchase.
Thanks again for the responses.
Keep up the good work.

Bill

Back