• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Panzer I dak

Robertp

Here is my DAK Panzer I. You noticed I didn’t say finished. I may get back to it.This was a real learning experience. First hair spray technique and first track link. The hair spray technique is good for larger areas. I have more control using a sponge. The assembly of the tracks went quickly into bleary eyed tedium with a real threat of a complete psychotic breakdown. After all that, I couldn’t get those to get a proper drape and sag. The tracks just took the wind out of my sails, but the learning and experience was well worth it.
IMG_2341.JPG
IMG_2337.JPG
IMG_2339.JPG
IMG_2342.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Which kit is this? I have both Tristar and Dragon. I prefer the former as it includes ModelKasten track copies.

So far so good Robert!

I have built a couple of kits with the link style assembly. One was a Dragon Stug which was OK. The other was a Russian "Alan" kit which was horrible and the tracks were worse. They barely fit to each other and it was a royal pain getting the links around the drive sprocket as the links were a little too big.
It gets easier and you will figure out ways to assemble them that will work well for you. Just keep at it and pick decent kits. At least the link track look better than the rubber ones.

It was the track pins that were breaking. If I ever have to do these kind of tracks again, I will replace the plastic pins with fine wire. That would have taken care of the tracks. I can only speak for this Tristar kit. I got track link on the bench right now. These have no pins so should be no problems. About rubber band tracks, I have an old Tamiya kit I am going to get started on right away. You might be surprised. Stay tuned.

Back