• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Panther G Engine Deck

AndyFettes

Master at Arms
Hi all,

Has anyone got some good reference pictures of the above knocking about anywhere ?

I have been searching googlings but havnt found much and Im particularingingly ( cant spell) interested in the raised crew compartment heater fan thingy

In hope

Andy :)

Hey, Andy
Here's a photo of the Verlinden Panther engine pack (1203) I put into a Tamiya Late-War Panther Ausf. G (35176) almost 10 years ago. I'm not sure the photo provides you with the info you need, but I followed the "how-to" as featured in Verlinden Publications' Military Vehicles Vol.I from 1999 (No1486).
The "how-to" isn't the highly detailed step-by-step type, but the photos are helpful. It lists all the aftermarket products used, except for the metal tracks I installed, and a complete painting guide. The feature indicates mostly Humbrol paints.
I've chosen to put it into a yet-to-be-completed diorama that depicts a winter scene.
I hope this helps you out.
Randy
Panther3.jpg

Panther2.jpg
PantherG3.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

And here are some more to go with what the Mighty Ninja found.

jagdpanther_03_of_57.jpg

jagdpanther_05_of_57.jpg

jagdpanther_13_of_57.jpg

jagdpanther_08_of_57.jpg

It may be a JagdPanther, but the engine deck is the same as the late Panther G. But I would suggest that you use these photos with a little bit of caution as it appears to me that this vehicle is a bit of a mish-mash of mid to late the way it is set up. And the one thing I see that is prominent is the lack of cast serial numbers on the heater unit that are clearly visible in the photos from Mighty Ninja.It appears to me that this portion of the heater unit is a post war reproduction. It looks like a very good reproduction except for the missing numbers, that give you all the other details for considering. And the OVM shouldn't be any real consideration as you are doing a Panther, which wouldn't correlate to this. But it is still a pretty nice source for what it all looks like. So again as I stated, when using current vehicles for reference ALWAYS cross reference with actual period photos whenever possible as it is quite common for people or museums to do a bit of a kitbash of several diffrent marks of vehicle to get one "complete" vehicle. And because of that you often get things that the average person would never notice :idonno , but us modellers can spot a mile away. :lol:

And here is the site that these came from. There are lots of other great detail shots of both the Panther, and JagdPanther, along with hundreds of other vehicles,guns,trucks,etc.etc.
http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/john_griffin/jagdpanther/

Hope this all helps.

Gary B)

Note also the shutters on the right side vents which are seen on Mighty Ninja's pics, but which are absent on Gary's pics above.

Mighty Ninja wrote:
The shutters you refer to are underneath the cast housing. The housing has been removed in the photo I posted.

whoa! :blink i'd have never noticed that if you hadn't mentioned it! but now that you mentioned it's so obvious!

Mighty Ninja wrote:
Phil

The shutters you refer to are underneath the cast housing. The housing has been removed in the photo I posted.

Laz

Hi Laz,

I was referring to the sliding shutters on the vents fore and aft of the fan on the right side of the engine deck, not the "pie xlice" shaped shutters on the heater unit. My understanding is that these shutters were present on the right side vents, but not the left on the Ausf.G. They are absent in Gary's pics.

Phil_H wrote:
Mighty Ninja wrote:
...I was referring to the sliding shutters on the vents fore and aft of the fan on the right side of the engine deck, not the "pie xlice" shaped shutters on the heater unit. My understanding is that these shutters were present on the right side vents, but not the left on the Ausf.G. They are absent in Gary's pics.

yes, they are missing. Seems that they have been forgotten when they restored the Jagdpanther

regards
Edi

Hi Laz,

I was referring to the sliding shutters on the vents fore and aft of the fan on the right side of the engine deck, not the "pie xlice" shaped shutters on the heater unit. My understanding is that these shutters were present on the right side vents, but not the left on the Ausf.G. They are absent in Gary's pics.

Hi Phil

I get what you mean know. Sorry, my bad.

yes, they are missing. Seems that they have been forgotten when they restored the Jagdpanther

regards
Edi

Edi, did they have them on Jagdpanthers? I was not aware that they had them and all the photos I have seen do not show them.

well, the Kampfraumheizung would not make sense without them. They were used to control the air flow on the right-hand side cooling system.

Edi

The right hand louvers were to regulate the water temperature whilst the warm air flow was controlled by the number of pie shaped covers placed over the Kampfraumheizung.

Jentz/Doyle mentions both were introduced in October 1944. I have seen pics of Jagdpanthers with the Kampfraumheizung but not with the louvers. This detail is normally not seen as period photos are usually taken from ground level but if anyone has pics showing it on a Jagdpanther, please feel free to share it.

Cheers

you are right. most pics show the Jagdpanthers photographed from ground level, but not only Jentz meantions it. Also the "Panther G – Neuerungen und Formänderungen – Beiblatt zum Ht.V.Bl 1944, 22. Ausgabe" describes the function
and of course the water temp was the aim but it was a result of the cooling by the air flow

Thanks Edi

For more information on Panthers, please visit Edi's excellent Panther 1944 website http://www.panther1944.de/index.php

Hi all,

Thank you to all for the help regarding this thread it`s come in very handy but I forgot to reply to this and instead cracked on with the model,... oops :)

Thanks once again

Andy

Back