• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Panther D Workable Track Links for German VK1602 Leopard

Handed? Not sure I follow.

Saw these down at the LHS in Augusta last trip. Passed then just on the idea of installing each tooth.

The VK1602 Leopard, is that a variant of the Panther?

Handed?... The VK1602 Leopard, is that a variant of the Panther?

The track links on the real vehicle were kept together with track pins. These had a head on one side (always towards the hull) and a hole through which a cotter pin was inserted on the other end.

Click image to see other side of set.

Should the pin break or wiggle out, the Panther hull had strike plates above and ahead of the idlers to strike the pin back in place.

Here is a dimensioned plan to use when measuring the links for accuracy:
pantherlink.jpg

The VK1602, which wasn't built, is illustrated on the box cover and is a shortened Panther chassis with a SdKfz 234/2 turret. Actually, the turret was designed for this tank but put on the SdKfz 234 instead.

Regards,

I was looking at the tracks for the S-tank at the last show i went to, you know if they are good?
Would like something else than the rubberbands included in the kit
//Mats

Bottom line is, there's better tracks to be had Mats. I B&M about the Friuls but they really are good tracks.

Mats,

Since I don't have an S-Tank, I never ordered Trumpeter's set. Their PT-76 set is very nice but the MasterClub set I already have for the PT-76 is around the same price and I don't have to glue the teeth on. The reason for the separate teeth, I am hoping, is that there may be a future ASU-85 set with holes in the teeth since the real tracks were lightened for the Air Mobile vehicle in this manner.

Regards,

I B&M about the Friuls but they really are good tracks.

Very true, yet it all depends on the tracks. Many prefer metal tracks and there are good reasons for this. Other metal tracks are Spade Ace and Karaya.

Older Friulmodel tracks, with the crimp style linkage, are not recommended. The newer ones have some sets which are handed and others which aren't. Some are too thick, such as their Tiger sets, and others very tedious, like the Warrior sets.

I prefer styrene or resin sets for live tracks. If given a choice between 'workable' (using pins so the result articulates) or 'click' (they snap together and articulate but do not handle as well as 'workable'), I prefer the click type assembly. I will even accept proper polystyrene/vinyl tracks (such as Dragon's DS100 Sherman tracks) over metal tracks for vehicles utilizing live tracks.

Since the S-tank uses a live track, I think it is a variant of those used on the Leopard, you have several options out there to choose from.

Regards,

I was looking at the tracks for the S-tank at the last show i went to, you know if they are good?
Would like something else than the rubberbands included in the kit
//Mats

Opps, didn't realize you were talking about another product Mats, I should know better than to post prejava! :idonno

Back