• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Painting with Giovanni: video tutorial

Its been difficult changing my perceptions of how to paint, but not too bad I dont think. Kind of getting the process now.
James

Hi James,

Sorry for my absence and lack of reply, life got really busy...

Anyway you are making incredible progress and sooner than you think a new video will be available on our little project.

Ciao

Giovanni

I've been having a look at this today since the weather turned sour on me and it's amazing. (y)
James I saw right off one advantage this youngster has over us,his hand ain't shaken like a puppy trying to pass a peach seed. :hmmm

If I keep painting figures im going to need more Vallejo paint colors and better brushes.
Thanks so much Giovanni,I kiss your hand :kiss:
Tony lee

I've been having a look at this today since the weather turned sour on me and it's amazing. (y)
James I saw right off one advantage this youngster has over us,his hand ain't shaken like a puppy trying to pass a peach seed. :hmmm

If I keep painting figures im going to need more Vallejo paint colors and better brushes.
Thanks so much Giovanni,I kiss your hand :kiss:
Tony lee

Hi Tony, Thanks so much, you are way too kind, I wish I was half as good as you are in building tanks, you do such an amazing job!!

I'm still waiting to see the Sturmtiger finished (if you do not want to paint it, I'll be happy to paint it myself!!) :)

As for the buying colours you may buy it if needed, but the brushes, yes, you gonna need them and they will last you forever if cleaned properly.

My only choice is Series 7 W&N, these are the real deal and on the long term (durability) they are by far the cheaper!

SO when are we going to swap our work?

Ciao

Giovanni

P.S.: I need to shoot another video!

You know what Giovanni, to tell the truth I had forgotten about the Sturmtiger. :gogo
I didn't know that the series 7 was a water color brush so I was looking in the wrong place in our art store here.
I did buy two Floquil Kolinsky brushes a #0 and a #3 round.
Also 5 W/N Monarch brushes that looked like Kolinsky, #00round,#0 round,#2 round,#0 filbert and a #2 flat.
These turned out to be mongoose hair. :huh:

What do you recommend I buy now that I know where to find the series 7 brushes?

Building the AFVs is the easy part my man it's the finish that makes or breaks it and you've got the talent to put a killer finish on one. :notworthy

Really appreciate your compliment and any suggestions guy.
Thanks
Tony lee

You know what Giovanni, to tell the truth I had forgotten about the Sturmtiger. :gogo
I didn't know that the series 7 was a water color brush so I was looking in the wrong place in our art store here.
I did buy two Floquil Kolinsky brushes a #0 and a #3 round.
Also 5 W/N Monarch brushes that looked like Kolinsky, #00round,#0 round,#2 round,#0 filbert and a #2 flat.
These turned out to be mongoose hair. :huh:

What do you recommend I buy now that I know where to find the series 7 brushes?

Building the AFVs is the easy part my man it's the finish that makes or breaks it and you've got the talent to put a killer finish on one. :notworthy

Really appreciate your compliment and any suggestions guy.
Thanks
Tony lee

Just pack the Sturmtiger and I'll send a currier to pick it up!!!!! :drinks

The series & is THE watercolour brush (even though I use them with Oils and enamels as well), so called because Queen Victoria preferred size was number 7 and these are brushes fit for a queen!

What makes series 7 so great is that they keep the point sharp forever and you really don't need anything below a 0 (they go up to 000).

You can draw a very fine line with a 2 or a 3 as well, the real difference between them is the colour reservoir, the bigger the size the bigger the reservoir.

If I may, keep painting with what you have already bought then whe is time to replace them, go from a 0 or 00 up to a 2 (for very large areas or big figures) if you only paint 1/35 you can go from 00 to 1, just 3 brushes sizes.

Please do let me know if you have any question at all, I'll be honoured to help.

Ciao

Giovanni

Tony,

I don't mean to cut in, but I doubt Giovanni would know where to buy those in America. I'm not sure Springfield has a good art store, if they do, then try there. If not, Michael's out on Glenstone past Battlefield Mall should carry the Winsor-Newton series 7 which are Kolinsky sable and will work well. Finding Kolinsky sable in America other than Series 7 W/N is almost impossible.

When I ran VLS, we carried our own brand of Kolinsky sable brushes as well as Series 7 Winsor Newton. I order mine directly from a German company named Veringte Pinselfabriken, but they are the sizes 2 through 10 Kolinsky sable Filbert brushes. I use them for a wide variety of purposes.

BTW, the Floquil brushes are, IMO, not suitable for figure painting.

Bob

Tony,

I don't mean to cut in, but I doubt Giovanni would know where to buy those in America. I'm not sure Springfield has a good art store, if they do, then try there. If not, Michael's out on Glenstone past Battlefield Mall should carry the Winsor-Newton series 7 which are Kolinsky sable and will work well. Finding Kolinsky sable in America other than Series 7 W/N is almost impossible.

When I ran VLS, we carried our own brand of Kolinsky sable brushes as well as Series 7 Winsor Newton. I order mine directly from a German company named Veringte Pinselfabriken, but they are the sizes 2 through 10 Kolinsky sable Filbert brushes. I use them for a wide variety of purposes.

Bob

I know where you can find them in UK at a reasonable price if you need, or I can buy and send it to you.

But I think you assume you said you just need to look in the watercolour section of your art store..

Anyway let me know if I can help.

Ciao

Giovanni

Thanks much fellows.
Bob i'll call both Micheal's and National Art in the morning first thing. btw butt in anytime guy.
Hobby Lobby has a large selection of brushes but not the good stuff.

Thanks Again
Tony lee

Back