• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

One of the Vets

chris808

Hi all

I was over with my Dad the other day not enjoying the best of health hell he is 84 ,as he says "iam getting my moneys worth out of the NHS " hell he makes me laugh, we seem to do a lot of talking these days not that we have not done in the past,but we appear to do more now.
He still does his oil and water painting and is very active in the community ,he says he knows the old clock of time is ticking when rememberence day comes along and his another face is gone .He was the only one able out of his group who landed on D-Day to lay the wreath in fact there is only 2 left Ted Chapman VC one of his pals died a few years ago.
My dad goes back every year although he does not drive and the numbers dwindle ,he feels that he has an obligation to do it for as long as he can.
I went with him for the 40th Aniversary and enduring relationship with a small Normandy village followed.
After the breakout they dug in in the Orchard of a small town called Mondrainville during a lull in the fighting my dad went into the farm house as he was walking out he picked up a small black and white picture of the farm house and placed it in his battledress pocket .
He kept it through out the war ,the war ended and the life went on and he joined the Police and did 32 years .
Dad never went back untill 40 years later and a small group of closs pals went back back to visit the the country side that forged their youth.
My dad said that your memorys are black and white ,my dad had brought with him the dog eared black and white photo,he walked around one village un able to recognise any perticular images he could remember,then moved on to the next.
My dad split up from his pals and walked down a small road turned a corner into a large garden ,there sat an entire family enjoying a meal under some apple trees ,he apologised for disturbing them and went walk away a man called over and asked my dad and i to join them ,my dad explained thaqt there were three others in his broken french and they were called and we all sat down they guys were wearing there blazer badges so conversations moved onto that day in June .I sat there watching these old lions relive there youth .
One of the guys sat there was the owner of the garden Mt LeGoff, my dad explained that he had a picture of a farm house my d and showed it to him there were shouts and all sorts of comotionad as he showed the photo.
Mr LeGoff troted off to the house set back in some trees and came back with an elderly lady who was in fact Madame LeGoff his mother .My father explained that he had been dugg in in a small orchard in this picture ,Mr Legoff then said you are hear this is the Orchard and then through the trees we could see the farm house pretty well unchanged .strangly when my dad had sat down with his first glass of wine he was in fact no more than perhaps 2 feet from where his fox hole had been .
What ensued was amazing We explained that the wifes were at the cars some was dispatched with myself to get them and we all sat in the orchard and had the most fantastic time .
This relationship has continued since so much so that my father and Tom Gritffths set up and exchange arrangement between the school in Mondrainville and a shool in Abergavenny which contiues to this day.
A road was named after Edward Chapman VC BEM and un known to Tom and my Dad a new School was built during the year of the 60th Anniversary of D-Day and before they went to the beaches they were both called to the Town Hall in Mondrainville and were informeed that the new School will be called Ecole Edwards Griffths and will always carry that name as laid down by the then French Education Minister.

pict0105_20100601_1123888504.jpg

pict0060_20100601_1545291206.jpg

pict0069_20100601_1010933066.jpg

This image below is of my dad looking across from the playing fields of the shool the day of the naming of the shool, i left him on his own with his thoughts no doubt cleary remembering when those quite fields that now lay before him were the resting place of so many young men no matter if you were from the valleys of Wales, New York City,or the country side of Canada.
That day left its mark on me June the 6th 2004

Cheers Chris

pict0129_20100601_1170162803.jpg

Cheers, in a bit of a reflective mood after the weekend they are for sure a very unique generation

Cheers Chris

I can see a lot of your Dad in your picture Chris. Wonderful story, thanks for sharing.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replys to the post when i next go over i will show him the site,he has kept a diary and he has been writing down as many of the events that formed those formative years,it will be wonderful record to hand on to my children
Recently he has with other vets been getting interviewd by researches from The Imperial War Museam,they intend to place it all on file for generations to come i understand that it will be collated at Aberystwith University and will be accsesable to all

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris.

Thank you soooooo much.

This was one of those stories that make it so clear that it was not just a collection of fallable memories. But real, true fact. That transcended the multiple black and white photos that so many take so much for granted. To make us realise that it was all so much a sacrifice of not only life and limb. But souls, and even basic existance that was fought for, and died for, by the people like your father and his mates. And that deserve sooooo much. Even beyond the naming of a school. But it is in reality the simple (if only) fact of just not forgeting the sacrifice that was so freely given that we might have what we have today.

Gary B)

Hi Gary
Thank you for the reply as i said i will be showing them the site and this thread and the very kind responses.
The strange thing is that the day before my dad and his unit got to Mondrainville the Germans who were dug in and around the house did a remarkable thing and Officer instructed one of the half tracks they had there to put Madame Le Goeff and her baby son and his sister in the vehicle and the driver was told to take them a few miles down the road as he said to Madame Legoeff in perfect french that if the if they stayed they would not survive .
They survived and with out his kindness this story would never be told,the Officers name was Lt Kahaller the reason we know that was that when dad got into the orchard and into a fox hole Lt Kahaller lay dead in it my dad checked a leather case he had on him for intel /information and he found a photo of him he kept it along with his party book, then proceded to pull the end of the trench in to cover him and marked the spot.
In 1947 with the aid of a German POW that stayed in Wales my father sent all the items that he had to the address.
To his his surprise he got a respones fron his widow thanking my father for doing what he did this was the first official notification that he was confirmed as dead as she thought he might have ended up in Aa Russian POW camp.
They continued to write for about 10 years but then it faded out he still has the letters and a copy of the pic my dad showed it to Madame LeGoeff on one of his visits and she confirmed that that was the officer who in effect saved there lives.

Cheers Chris

Chris and I have talked on the phone for hours about his Dad's service , [ of course alcohol was involved :laugh: ] , and the stories keep me enthralled each time .

This service of Chris's Dad isn't so unusual coming from a mere Welshman , ....... if I remember correctly Welsh lads [ 24th foot ] defended Rorkes Drift , ........... and that little party garnered 11 , .......... yes I do believe it was 11 Victoria crosses ............

Chris , go ahead mate , ...... tell them the story behind this little package that arrived in me mail box one day . I was very honored Chris gave me this , it means a lot to me and now I can sit around a campfire and retell the stories told to me by Chris of his Dad .
Their legends will never die , keep telling the stories of the Vets , ......... this is how real history can and should be remembered !!!

picture_1306_20100604_1388869869.jpg

Do more than tell it, record them telling it. One treasured video our family has is of two Aunt's sitting around drinking coffee and talking of the people we all heard about but never knew.

If you have the means, record these folks telling their tales, they are a treasure.

Chris,
Thanks for sharing it... Yes, I need to dry my eyes now...
I grew up listening to an Uncle talk about World War I.
He took a bullit to the knew and was pulled off to and aid station.
(his knew was never the same, but it didn't slow him down a bit).
I used to have to warn the girls that came to visit, that if they
were within arms reach of "Uncle Arthur" (he believed that a girls
ass was ment to be pinched. :pinch: He had more strength in his
hands than I did in my whole body,as a teenager. The girls I new in
High School would see each other at gym and say, "Oh, you've been
to Shawn's house and met Uncle Arthur haven't you... (as they would
have a nice bruise on their butt). It was quite amusing at times.
Uncle Arthur went on to drive mules and cut the trails in the Mountains
of New Hampshire, removing the trees by mule and was a riot when he
got to telling stories. He died of Cancer many years ago at the age
of 81 (if my memory serves me). He had his voice box removed years before
and the guys (His hunting buddies) would take the batteries out of his
"Bitch box" machine that could let you hear him talk... (they would play
penny poker around the table and spin him up when he left it and went to
the other room). He took it well, and gave it back in spades.
My Grandfather was a drill instuctor in World War II. He was too old to be
sent over seas... Although I can't remember him being too old for anything.
He died of a heart attack running a little hardware store when I was a kid.

Thanks again for sharing Chris.

Back