• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

On-line hobby stores

Duck

I've been out of the hobby a while.
There's one Hobby Lobby and Michael's here.
What on-line stores do y'all patronize in the US?
Duck

While I am lucky in that Memphis has a really good hobby shop, there are always those kits that they either can't, won't, or are not able to obtain. In some cases where the kits are quite expensive it makes sense to go to the online stores. I have ordered from all of these suppliers and they have all been really good with prices, selection, shipping costs and getting items shipped out.

There is Sprue Brothers which is a good all round source.
Sprue Brothers link

There is Free Time which is similar but tends to carry more model ship items.
Free Time Hobbies link

A newer shop is Andy's Hobby Headquarters from Arizona. He has been carrying a lot of new big scale kits as well as a similar source like Sprue Brothers. In several cases he has managed to obtain kits that some of the others have not been able to.
Andy's Hobby Headquarters link

For SciFi and figures including Star Trek, Star Wars, Space 1999, and everything in that line is Cult TVman. He also carries aftermarket photo etch and lighting for the scifi kits.
Cult TVman link

I also collect high detail resin figure kits. They are all limited production and rather expensive, but unlike plastic kits they retain their value and appreciate in value with time AND appreciate in value with a high quality paint job. If you have an interest in them it is a bit of a bag of worms as it is mostly a garage kit hobby. The figures when done right are fabulous though. Here are a couple of examples.

The Penitent Bride
Bride 1280.jpg

Ariel the Mermaid
Ariel the Mermaid 1280.jpg

Tinkerbelle
Tinkerbell 1024.jpg

While I have these kits, I have not attempted to paint them yet. These are some of the premiere painters in the figure hobby. Jim Capone is well known at Wonderfest which is one of the big figure conventions that takes place in Louisville KY. I have the photos for my reference once I start the kits.

So what kits are you interested in Duck?

Last edited:
I haven't bought in a while but I'd say Sprue Brothers and Free Time are up there, Redfrog hobbies also. can't think of others off the top of my head.

Those are all good ones that I have used.
Also check out Scalehobbyist

I slso have some ebay stores that are pretty good,
Omni Hobbies and Dragon Hobby.
Also I have found many good deals on ebay,just watch shipping costs and user ratings,I never had a problem using some common sense shopping.

Megahobby is another good source, check them out.

:vgood:

I have bought from Mega hobbies.. but I find their prices on the high side. I usually only buy from them if I can't find it anywhere else.

Thanx for the replies fellers.
I wasn't clear in my request; I'm mainly in search of supplies like paint, glue, aftermarket PE, hand brushes, you know, the average needed supplies.
Some of the above mentioned stores I had forgotten about.
I've got several kits in the stash already awaiting work.
I just got in a Typhoon kit, and I'm chomping at the bit to start it.
Typhoon was the first kit I built as a young'un, many many moons ago.
Thanx again,
Duck

Hi Duck - welcome!

Like everyone here has said, Sprue Brothers is one of the best in the US for the hobby. I also patronize Michigan Toy Soldier. They are a brick and mortar shop with a pretty good online business as well. I have a few back ups that are international, like BNA Model World which is in Australia and the48ers. Shipping isn't prohibitive and they have a giant selection of everything. Also the various Ebay shops like Dragon Hobby and some of the other brick and mortar's selling through Ebay.

I have had a few issues with Hobbyworld USA and now avoid them, but others seem to swear by them and put up with the nonsense, just be careful if you choose to patronize that establishment.

Mike

Sprue Bros. and Scalehobbyist are my go to, if the LHS can't get it. I am lucky that there are 2 LHS's in easy driving distance. One, in Massillon also carries its own line of enamels and Lacquers... pretty good paint for those who are extremely old School.

I also use Hannants in England when you just can't get it here.

Hey Duck! It looks as if the guys have covered all the places I like to shop.
Opinions vary but I advise avoiding Internet Hobbies and their many other guises.

All of thoseSuggestions were spot on. One thing I do is to use EBay. I am careful to make sure the supplier is in the US whenever possible

I recently bought a Hataka paint Set
From Poland and it arrived in only 10 days

So EBay can be an asset with a bit of research

One I haven't seen mentioned and that carries a lot of the supplies you are looking for is Kitlinx. Great service and a huge selection of items. Fats service too.

I really like Plastic-Models-Store in the Ukraine as well and try to support them when I can. You have to wait a bit for product but Artem's prices are pretty good and you're supporting a business that needs it in a war zone. Scale Hobbyist, Andy's, and Sprue Brothers as mentioned previously get my business here in the States.

Back