• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

OMG It's got a sharkmouth 1/72 Tamiya P-51D!

Some yellow trim and the aluminum base coat are on, Alclad ALC 101. Didn't have to chase any rocket fins today, but a whole rocket made an attempt at escape and evasion. It's back in the clink.

0086p51.jpg

Nice coverage, John when you spray Alclad do you do a wet coat or is it lighter almost dry to the touch once sprayed? I know there's a tricky balance because that stuff will eat the base coat and plastic.

I make sure it goes on dry, Bob. If you get a wet look the finish will lose the aluminum look and it is more transparent. Doesn't seem to dry very well either. Two or three coats very dry gives good coverage, just a few seconds between coats.

Q: Did they fill in the panel lines on the F51 like they were supposed to do on the earlier Mustangs?

Q: Did they fill in the panel lines on the F51 like they were supposed to do on the earlier Mustangs?
I see that the photos in the Cavalier rebuild manuals have them puttied so I would think it was continued. Or perhaps, old photos reused?
No lines visible from this angle where the sun would highlight them:
1615560768586.png

The PA-48 Enforcer (FUGLY plane) seems to be puttied too:
1615560502967.png

Regards,

Last edited:
I simply had to add this video:

Note, puttied wings had to be painted while the fuselage could be taken down to natural metal. You might note that in some photos (gloss/sheen difference which hints at the wings being puttied).

Here we see one without the puttied wing, something warbird owners do to get the full shine on every surface:
Note that the warbird owner says they stopped puttying the wings at the closing part of the war to get more aircraft out there.

Regards,

Last edited:
My understanding is the wings were not filled on most Korean War Mustangs because they were largely pulled from Guard units and storage, but I'm sure it depended on the particular airframe. FWIW, it has since been understood that to keep laminar flow even the bugs have to be kept off the leading edges, and the performance difference between a filled wing and one that was not was not significant.

Hope I don't bore everyone but here's all the finished pictures. The ones at the last are with the Airfix Mustang.

0116p51.jpg

0126p51.jpg

0136p51.jpg

0146p51.jpg

0156p51.jpg

0176p51.jpg

0186p51.jpg

0196p51.jpg

0206p51.jpg

0216p51.jpg

0226p51.jpg

0236p51.jpg