• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Old Concrete road

tiking

I've been working on a diorama for a few of my trucks. I decided I wanted an old truck yard(obviously, its me), where old or almost run down trucks and trailers can be parked. I wanted the old concrete look and miscellaneous objects lying here and there to give more visual interest. So here is the start of this theme I have in my head. I intend on another wall further down the diorama with more concrete work for more added details and visual interest. But this is just to show you all the results of how I made the concrete road.

My methods:

1. I mixed the tile grout very heavily with moderate water to allow for quick drying.

2. I Spread it on the area of the diorama. I used grout (thick consistency). I did this outside, when the sun was out and let the heat dry the surface of the grout. As this dried quickly, it slowly produced the minuscule cracks you see.

3. Even it out with spreader.

4. Took a sponge and dabbed certain areas with it. I continued to sponge certain areas to give the grainy patches you see in a few of the photos

5. I used a small spreader to draw over the grout to produce some of the half broken concrete patches; sub-levels, and other small u level, rocky crevices you see..

6. Then I used a black wash and let that dried for a day. Then went over it again with the same black wash. Then let it dried for an hour, then went over it with a brown wash. I will go over it again, to knock back the brown again. Will post the complete diorama when done. Hope this helps those who are probably wondering how I achieved this results.

Blijft  leuk .gif

Back