• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Oh Yes He Does

shawngehling

It's not completely finished, but... I just had to post something for you guys/gals.
Charlie don't surf - “Oh yes, he does”

The figure is from Dragon's “Vietcong” set (his torso, arms and head have been switched with another figure in the set).
The surfboard is scratch built from Balsa Wood. It was sealed with a clear coat (Which leaves the
wood grain visible) then custom decals were made for the board. The wood grain was not up to (Fred the master old school builders' standards), so more wood grain was painted on it.
The Wave is scratch built from sheet plastic, cut then heated and rolled into the “tubular” wave.
Many coats of White Acrylic Gel and even more coats of Clear Acrylic Gel have been painted on the front and back of the “Sheet Plastic”to build up the wave and to give it depth. The wave is painted and or dry brushed with numerous coats of various blue's, green's and white acrylic paints (between coats of acrylic gel). White is dry brushed near the crest of the wave. The wave is curled more and more with each coat of acrylic gel.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I have while building it.
Shawn

Board making supplies.
Makingasurfboard.jpg

Board with figure test shot
Surfboardwithfigureright.jpg

Board
Surfboardwithdecal.jpg

Basic wave layout
PhaseIThewaveoverhead.jpg

Wave getting better
PhaseIIIWavefrontinclose.jpg

Wave getting tubular dude
PhaseVBigwavefront.jpg

Board in the wave
PhaseVIIIWavewithboardleftoverhead.jpg

Charlie hanging ten
PhaseIXWavewithboardandriderfrontbright.jpg

PhaseIXWavewithboardandriderfrontviewoverhead.jpg

PhaseIXWavewithboardfrontright.jpg

PhaseIXWavewithboardandriderfrontview.jpg

PhaseIXWavewithboardandriderfrontcloseup.jpg

PhaseIXWavewithboardandriderfrontleft.jpg

Hope everyone likes it...
Here is the link to more pictures in photobucket
http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss175/shawngehling/Group%20build%20Charlie%20dont%20surf/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

Let me know what you think... Like I said it needs a little more work but it's pretty much done.
Shawn

Shawn,
Yeah, I kind of envisioned you doing something with a wave in it because of the "Surfing" theme. (Don't all of you Navy types surf? ha ha) I kind of figured it might be a Viet Cong falling off a surfboard or something like that. I like that he isn't falling off. This should be a pretty good conversation piece at the next IPMS Nationals!
James

Very cool and original Shawn , ......... very cool !!!

You could have used a Harbor or Bear , .......... board logo though :laugh: , .......... looks like a 9'6" dino board ........

One of my favorite Robert Duvall lines ...............

" What do you know about surfing Lieutenant , ........ You're from God Dam New Jersey "

No comments about the late 70's hair please ..............

Picture1534.jpg

James,
Well for sure, all Sailors surf, just like all Army grunts love to go camping and eat MRE's...:D :S
Who knows what kind of hornets nest this one is going to stir up???:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :D
Sherman, Thanks, you know me, I have to get things twisted:evil: :evil: :evil:
Cheyenne, Dude, Love the suggestions, but this is what I had as a dry transfer, and as I remember it, when I learned to surf (in those monster swells on the coast of Maine)... :blink :eek:hmy: Really that's where I learned to surf, I remember the board that I borrowed had the old cross like this one... ;)
Dude, that picture is totally tubular...:S Sure you weren't moonlighting with the big hair bands then too? :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :ro: :D
Stug... Thanks alot.
M/P I'll bet you have some dashing pictures of you with long hair too...:hmmm :hmmm Will we ever see any of them?:idonno :idonno :idonno
The longest hair I ever had was in High School and it was to my collar.

Sorry Shawn, you'll never see pictures of me long haired hippy like, cause I never had it. I got it over my ears during high school but that was about it. There is a picture somewhere of me sitting in the chair getting my GI Buzz job some 28 years ago.

Yup M/P
I guess we are in the same boat... I've had the same military haircut for over 30 years...
It's been the same length (or shorter, since 1978 when I joined the Navy.
B) :D

Just kidding Shawn , ........... beautiful concept !!!

I had my military cut in 70 - 71 , ........ this is 79 , maybe 1980 ? .......... come to think maybe early 80's ......... ?

James,
Well for sure, all Sailors surf, just like all Army grunts love to go camping and eat MRE's...:D :S

I actually do like to go camping from time to time, but now instead of sleeping under the stars getting rained on I put up a tent (wife insists on it). I can't stand eating MRE's though.:sick:

I haven't eaten a whole MRE in several years now. Sometimes I'll eat the crackers or the spagetti with meatsauce or the beef stew, but most have no appeal to my finicky appetite. Pogey bait gets me through.:cheer:

James, You know me, I have to get my digs in on you Army guys when I can... :evil:
Chey, No worries, Glad you like it.
Shawn

Back