• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

North /american AT-6 / SNJ Texan

Paulw

this is another kit that has some styrene spirits in it and they say if you build it we will come.
With what I don't know but I have quite a bit done so far. This is the Revell 48 scale AT 6 Texan kit 85-5251. I received from a friend along with a Revell F-111.

I though of the last one of these I did was about 1967 or 68 and it was a Hawk kit bin the same scale.
I flew that plane all over that part of Texas for about three years and then I came up missing in a move from Dallas to Tulsa OK. n o search parties would fin it and to this day it remains missing in action.

The lit is gray styrene ans has 3 sprues and one sharply clear plastic one. The decal sheet is for two aircraft, one navy SNJ and the other for an AT-6 for the Army. I looked up color schemes and variations and they are as far reaching as the military itself.

I like this little kit, hardly any seams or gaps and steps to speak of and a fine raised rive detail.
It has flaps that may be positioned in the raised position or left in the lowered at about 10deg.
I painted the engine flat black and light ghost gray for the cylinder heads, on a scale from 1 to 10 I would give this kit a 8.5. It is a blank canvas to anyone who rides a different rail and likes some additional details.

HPIM2731.JPG

HPIM2732.JPG

HPIM2733.JPG

HPIM2753.JPG

HPIM2754.JPG

The Revllogram kit is a nice one. I still have bob Steinbrunn's article in Finescale Modeler where he turned this kit into a museum quality exhibit. Also, this kit heavily influenced the Occidental Replicas releases to the extent that most aftermarket for one fits the other.

Regards,

Looks like a great little kit! I built the Heller kit a ways back after tooling around in a real one for 45 minutes...that was an OK kit...this one seems much nicer!

Looks like a great little kit! I built the Heller kit a ways back after tooling around in a real one for 45 minutes...that was an OK kit...this one seems much nicer!

Mike, are you referring to the Heller 1/72nd scale one? It is a very nice kit albeit simple. Academy's offering is inspired VERY heavily by this release and all aftermarket for the Heller fit the Academy. Yes, I have all four of the kits mentioned thanks to some wild sharks and dogs over Algeria!

Regards,

Hey Saul...

Nope...this was quarter scale by Heller...it had optional rocket pods I remember. I don't have the box or anything anymore but did find another online build of it...

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal9/8101-8200/gal8116-Texan-ARIFDHANI/00.shtm

Probably not the same variant, but at the time the Revell one wasn't out...

Well, a quick way to tell is if the panel lines are raised, it is the Monogram molds (now released by Revell). If the panel lines are scribed, then it is the Occidental Replicas molds (released by Italeri and Hobbycraft Canada).

Regards,

I am getting closer to the finish with this one. Kind of melancholy about it though, I had a blast with this kit,especially the pit and the engine. Hardly any gaps and no steps. I hope that you like the way it looks and later Ill finish the small stuff and decals.
HPIM2841.jpg

HPIM2840.jpg

HPIM2836.jpg

more pics after I get new batteries and maybe Ill get a decent camera soon...

This kit is Fine`. I hope I have done this kit justice and in the interim I am advance my skills with the help of guys like you. I talked with Martin at length today about weathering and as I step out I wont be afraid to experiment more. any way I hope you like the pics...Paul
HPIM2843.jpg

HPIM2850.jpg

HPIM2853.jpg

HPIM2854.jpg

I talked with Martin at length today about weathering and as I step out I wont be afraid to experiment more.

That's the Spirit! Heck, if you screw something up you can always wipe it off or cover it up. Ask me how I know that??? :D :mpup

Back