• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

We seem to have had an influx of new modelers recently. I don't know what Swanny's was. (This is my only social media platform)
Were you a member there? I wonder why Swanny's website closed up.

Bob Letterman is on here and posts quite regularly. He is full of "History of the Hobby" stories and many kinds of tips and tricks on doing architectural builds. His dioramas are quite massive and you can spend several hours looking at just one and never see all the little details he has added.

Really nice work, I really like the D-7. I've used lathes for years without becoming an expert, just good enough to get the job done. I really have a hard time when the diameter gets real small, just can't keep the work from rolling up over the tool. I hate that!

Really nice work, I really like the D-7. I've used lathes for years without becoming an expert, just good enough to get the job done. I really have a hard time when the diameter gets real small, just can't keep the work from rolling up over the tool. I hate that!

LOL John. I use a watchmaker lathe (of course I am one) It is kind of like a mini wood lathe only the work is in metal, or in my case, brass, plastic, aluminum, bronze, you get the picture. When making watch parts, some of the pivots are under 0.2 mm, The largest I have done was one of the big Millennium Falcon gun port windows (about 2 or 2 1/2 inches dia.) The other window still needs to be done. Hardest part is measuring that small stuff.

Welcome brooks, you got some skills Bubba!!
I'm a forced-into-retirement tool maker, with a machine shop in the backyard.
Having machinery makes scratching a lot easier.
I'm looking forward to more of your builds.
Duck

Swanny's was a site similar to this one.
Matt Swan owned the site, but he got tired of dealing with website hackers.
He said in a post that he'd finally had enough, and closed the site.
There were some fantastic builders there; and he had a great "how-to" section.
I learned a lot there, but unfortunately, I'm not much of a builder, or painter for that matter.
Here's a link from the way-back machine:
I hope I didn't violate a forum rule by posting that link.
Duck

No Duck that's fine. Swanny's was great in it's day. I think I stumbled on it when looking up what Mr. Surfacer was and was the second forum I posted on after FSM, of course FSM wore thin really quick!

Hello Newbie and welcome to the show!

FSM’s failure to regulate their forum led to bullying and similar behavior that caused me to leave it and cancel my subscription, and that was after speaking directly to their editor via phone

this place is thankfully different!! Great folks and great resources, so again welcome to the board!!!

Hi Brooks
sorry i am a bit late as usual but welcome :) i saw your Harley in your intro and it caught my eye as i built that same kit earlier this year :)

Back