• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"New Guy" My very first post here.

jrutman53

I have been working on this dio for a few months now and decided to get back into the dio and armor world after about 10 years absence.
First dio out of the gate is called "Bagration,Fire for Effect" I got this idea from a pic in a wonderful book about the Ostfront common grunt called "Scorched Earth" The pic showed a German gun crew hard at work loading and firing their SIG. It was during the Russian 44 summer offensive called Bagration. This op caused the German Army Group Center to be wiped out with only isolated pockets breaking out to the West.
The guys in this dio were obviously called to action quickly are are sevearly out of uniform,the head gunner is even wearing slippers. The caption says"Where are the parade ground uniforms? Now it comes down to a man and his weapons"
I started of with the figs. I used to modify them by using the armeture method but I found I have so many old figs in my toolbox that I just use the old ones and grind off what I don't need,then add the details. The old Tamiya figs suffered from being overweight and with large hands,etc. Late war soldiers were pretty thin as they ddn't get too much to eat for obvious reasons. Started out with guys like this.

Christmasandfig012.jpg

I made a change from the original pic and used the LFh18 just because I think it looks cool. Started the head gunner dude. I made him lean forward by reversing the body of another fig.

fig3001.jpg

Nice work Jerry! Just like riding a bike. Except you don't seem to have rusted at all!

Regards,

Cool. This will be fun to watch how you do the conversions. Maybe one day I'll summon up some nerve and try it. Good to see you here also.
James

Got the first 3 guys done. You can see how much more skinny they are. The gunner is the oldest and more experienced and has the balding head to show for it.He is trying to hold back the young dude with the arty round that is trying to load as fast as possible to help out his buddies in the front line. The other loader is also trying to calm the young buck down as the gun needs to be checked every few rounds to make sure that the sites are lined up on the site posts. This is where experience pays off as otherwise the rounds would be wild and thus wasted.

002-39.jpg

Neat. What are you painting with oils or acrylics? And is the charge real brass or did you paint that. Looking good so far.
James

JERRY,

Welcome to M.A. WoW ! :woohoo: Great lookin figures & that Base looks really cool to ! Smokin' Job !! I'm lookin' forward to seein' it come together !!

ERIK

In answer to the question about paint. I use a base coat of acrylic and then go to oil for the flesh tones. The uniforms are usually all acrylic. I had to search far and wide for refs on the ammo crates that the 105 used. There wer 4 kinds for the shells. A wicker one for 6 shells. Wooden for 6 shells and wood and metal for 3 shells. The first one I made is the wicker. There is a shell infront for size ref and the loader also.

003-22.jpg

Back