• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Need 2 scan but you con't have a scanner?

Tankbuilder

Shalom.

I have read a number of posts wherein someone mentions that they would like to scan something from a book but are afraid of damaging the spine of the book by pressing it onto the scanner ; or they don't have a scanner.

Here's a tip to deal with that. Set the book up so that it is open and then simply use your camera to take a picture of the page you want to share. I often do this with rare books that you are not allowed to scan.

Cheers from Peter

Well, I don't scan if I don't own the copyright. If a book is out of publication, then I may but highly unlikely.

Regards,

Well, I don't scan if I don't own the copyright. If a book is out of publication, then I may but highly unlikely.

Regards,

Shalom.

OOPS!

I guess that my post above should be deleted then as I never thought about the copyright issue when I made my suggestion. I only made that suggestion to help others in their research. It was *NOT* my intention to tell anyone to engage in any illegal activity.

BTW, isn't it technically a violation of copyright to post images of the box-art of a model or the model instructions or even a newspaper as those too are often copyrighted?

Cheers from Peter

Hi Peter,

No need to delete the post. It does have its use if someone wants to post a photo of a modeling subject. One image falls under fair use if the illustration is properly credited to the copyright holder and/or source.

BTW, isn't it technically a violation of copyright to post images of the box-art of a model or the model instructions or even a newspaper as those too are often copyrighted?

No, it isn't. The idea of copyrighting material is to protect the ability to use it for income. In other words, sharing images of copyright HELP promote a product, increase exposure, and possibly increase sales.

The use of some imagery is allowed under (what is called in the US as) the Fair Use laws but this must be for educational purposes or review. The amount of material copied and distributed can not be so much that possible sales are hindered.

Thanks for bringing up the subject as sooner or later it has to be dealt with and we can point to this thread.

Regards,

Back