• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My first PE soldering attempt

Leopard2

As much as I tried to avoid it I couldn't get around it. I had to borrow Amee's soldering iron. I tried to super glue but it just didn't cut it. Here are pictures of my first ever PE soldering attempt.

Joe

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

Tony, there is nothing wrong with it. I am actually kinda proud of myself. Fortunately all the solder spots will be hidden from sight after assembly so at this point I am not to worried about the looks.

You borrowed Amees iron did you ! :woohoo:

Actually 100 times better than my first attempt (y)

Actually that was my first and only attempt :hmmm

Evidently you need a lot more practice. You get some solder and I'll send you 10 sets or so of pe. When your done send them back to me for review and critique. Just because your a friend :evil: :D

Really its pretty awesome for a first attempt. Keep up the good work.
James

Looks pretty good, looks like that semi circle part got away from you some as the seam opened up a bit, should be an easy fix. That's what's great about soldering brass. It's an easy redo, just heat up, clean up and try again. I would say you are using a bit too much solder, a little goes a long way. But it should clean up well and have a good seam.

Now the big question is, how did your fingers turn out??

Amie should show us some of her soldering skills. [hint hint] :popcorn

Thank you all for the kind words.

James, sure let me send you a list with needed...ehemm I mean prefered PE sets.

Bob, I now the parts is hard for me to fixture. I might give it another try tomorrow.

To hold it I have used blue tack with some success and also masking tape. Hope that helps. Also if you get a finishing pen, it is a fiberglass type rig which also works well cleaning up solder. Just be careful not to rub your eyes after use until you wash your hands well.

James

Thanks James, I will try that blue tack. Especially for parts that are hard to tape down like that rounded part. I already used tape with success.

Joe

Also try heat sinks, or alligator clips. I can't think of enough tools and tricks to hold a part in place as you solder it. I took a bullet for a part once on the old Lion Roar Halftrack, couldn't get the part to stay in place for nothing so I held it with my finger and hit it with the micro torch...burned yes, but growing up in a restaurant I had worse burns. But the part got soldered!! (I don't suggest this as a method to solder parts)

If you use any sort of vice be sure to put the part sandwiched with wood, that way the metal mouth of the vice doesn't act like a heat sink. Unless you want it to act as a heat sink...Really, rigging up the jigs to hold parts is as much an art form as any of the stuff we have to do in our little hobby.

Bob, I tried the finger fixture yesterday. Well, lets just say ...Been there, done that and never got a T-Shirt. :D

Looks like you got it figured out no problem! When you get done with James' test PE I have some for you also :)

Tom

Fun, ain't? I've gotten really hooked on soldering PE, myself- and yours looks great!

Cheers!
chuk

Back