• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MrT'S M48A3"JUNGLE BUSTER""FINISHED

Re: MrT'S M48A3"JUNGLE BUSTER""UPDATE 1"

That's cool Terry! That linkage, you going to make that workable or static once you have the tension right?

It could be workable. :hmmm But it would not have to be.

B)

Two words then...Scale Hardware. (y)

http://www.scalehardware.com/

I guess it's one word.

Oooo thanks for the link.

B)

DSC07001.JPG

I can see it, brass tube and rod for the cylinder. Wonder if that was like a shock or a turnbuckle type thing? If it's turn buckle they have threaded rod also.

it's a shock type device. You can use most of the parts you have.

Thanks Joe! Just got started.

B)

Terry, as with others, this is one of my favorite VN tanks!

I cannot recall the book, but one of the things that I thought was very interesting was that when these were placed in foced in VN, one of the tactics for use with this tank was to park it overlooking a rice, field, or bridge, just at dusk. Afeter the sun set, they would remove the cover off that giant infared searchlight and begin 'panning' periodically for targets. as the areas that they were overlooking were considered free-fire zones, it was a VERY effective waqy to control moevment!

Bruce thanks for the info!! I have a special interest in the "48" as my dad was TC in one.

B)

Sorry no!!! Dad didn't take any pictures because for which I have scolded him many times. How ever I do have many stories.

:(

Another neat thing you don't often see referred to on this tank is that it had a field phone in the back. You could walk up, pic up the field phoen, and talk to the crew, without exposing either to enemy fire. I am not sure if the M6o-on had that, but it seems a worthy feature. I think you can see it in use int hat movie FULL METALACKET

Terry, as with others, this is one of my favorite VN tanks!

I cannot recall the book, but one of the things that I thought was very interesting was that when these were placed in foced in VN, one of the tactics for use with this tank was to park it overlooking a rice, field, or bridge, just at dusk. Afeter the sun set, they would remove the cover off that giant infared searchlight and begin 'panning' periodically for targets. as the areas that they were overlooking were considered free-fire zones, it was a VERY effective waqy to control moevment!

Yeah it was used if you had one and it was'nt beat to hell. A lot 48's and 113's used a platoon field radio that was strapped on the track somewhere.

B)

Re: MrT'S M48A3"JUNGLE BUSTER""UPDATE 2"

As they say "The Jungle Never Sleeps". As most of you know I hate roadwheels so I can only do so much wheel stuff and then I work on somethin else. In this case it is the turret which is now about 98% done. That is except the paint. Let's take a little trip and see how things turned out.

We begin with basic turret construction. As with most Tamiya kits assembly is pretty much hassle free, but with the age of the kit there is some flash that needs to be removed. With basic construction complete I set about makeing the mantlet cover. I promise I will do a SBS on this the first chance I get.

DSC07132.JPG

DSC07133.JPG

I needed to add several details to the mantlet cover that were not included in the kit or were under size. The rear of the mantlet cover has a beaded edge on the back of the cover so used solder wire to make this. The most promenent part of the cover is the retaining clips that hold it to the turret face. The kit features are small so I replaced them with strips of lead foil adding a small piece of styrene rod for bolt head. A little time consuming, but worth it.

DSC07134.JPG

DSC07135.JPG

DSC07160.JPG

DSC07161.JPG

Next I moved on to the loaders hatch. The ejector pin marks were removed and a PE handle was added. The best part of the loaders hatch in outside with the handle and those large springs that aid in opening and closing the hatch. The molded on handel was replaced with a wire one and the molded on springs were replaced with ones made of copper wire.

DSC07162.JPG

DSC07163.JPG

next came adding details to rear of the turret. The vent parts were added. Then I added some weld bead made out of solder wire and then textured with a sculpting knife. On the very back of the turret are some loops designed to hold straps that were molded on. These were replaced with one made of copper wire.

DSC07164.JPG

Since this will be a Marine Patton (RAH) I was presented with a problem. Most early Marine tanks coming in country did not come equiped with rectangular search light, but rather an older round version used in the fifties. I have been planning this project for some time so the search was on to find this version of the search light. Thing were looking pretty unlikely that I would find one and then I came across a old Dragon M-46 kit and low and behold the kit comes with the very light I needed. My joy was tempered by the fact that it came with no clear lens instead where the lens was supposed to be was solid. Also inside the light was a set shutters that woul have to be built. So I set to work and drilled and cut out the front of the light to open it. I then made the shutter and a lens made of clear plastic. to complete the light.

DSC07165.JPG

DSC07166.JPG

DSC07167.JPG

DSC07168.JPG

DSC07169.JPG

One of things that make this light interesting is that it has lots of wiring. I made a small junction box on the back of the light for all the wire to come from and wired the light.

DSC07170.JPG

DSC07171.JPG

DSC07172.JPG

DSC07173.JPG

I moved to the turret side where a railing, lift ring and a jerry can was added. PE was added to the Jerry can to replace molded on detail.

DSC07174.JPG

DSC07175.JPG

Next was the turret basket with PE mesh.

DSC07176.JPG

I added a PE spare roadwheel rack to the rear ventilater.

DSC07177.JPG

DSC07178.JPG

The last thing was the commanders cupola pretty strait foward. I added some PE details and the dust cover over the top. Here are some images of the nearly finished turret comments and questions are always welcome and thanks for looking.

DSC07179.JPG

DSC07180.JPG

DSC07181.JPG

DSC07182.JPG

DSC07183.JPG

DSC07184.JPG

DSC07185.JPG

Terry B)

Sweet work T!
and i agree with you on the roadwheels...pfff must they have so many?
//Mats

Sweet work T!
and i agree with you on the roadwheels...pfff must they have so many?
//Mats

Yeah and all those torsion arms too.

Thanks Mats!

B)

Back