• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 advice wanted

Heavens Eagle

Have been hearing about this stuff being used for a while now. My local shop had some so I picked it up along with some self leveling thinner. (I don't use rattle cans)

I was wondering if anyone had used this and had any suggestions on thinning ratios, air pressure or anything else. Better to ask up front and have a little understanding than to waste a bunch of time reinventing the process.

If need be I can go back and get some regular thinner or regular Mr Surfacer 1000.

Hey Paul, not sure what Mr Primer Surfacer is, know the Mr. Surfacer line of products. If it's like those just thin it to a milky consistency. When spraying, if you get some spiderweb effects going on you don't have enough thinner in it. Air pressure I guess would depend on how thin you have it, I hardly ever look close at the pressure, just the stream I get out of the airbrush.

Have been hearing about this stuff being used for a while now. My local shop had some so I picked it up along with some self leveling thinner. (I don't use rattle cans)

I was wondering if anyone had used this and had any suggestions on thinning ratios, air pressure or anything else. Better to ask up front and have a little understanding than to waste a bunch of time reinventing the process.

If need be I can go back and get some regular thinner or regular Mr Surfacer 1000.

Paul , I have not tried it yet but judging from everything I have read it seems to point to about 50/50.

It is also recommended that Mr.retarder be added to the mix as well.

Cheers, Christian B)

The self leveling thinner already has a retarder in it, so you're probably good to go.

Sorry, but..."Mr. Retarder"...?

Tom

The self leveling thinner already has a retarder in it, so you're probably good to go.

Sorry, but..."Mr. Retarder"...?

Tom

That's what was said . Maybe the guy asking the questions was still having some spider webb issues?

001.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Not having issues Tom, just not wanting to have issues. Have heard about this stuff and have been doing some major surface redo on my Messerschmidt 323. Has been a positive learning experience, but will need something to help smooth out all the green putty's little pits before paint. That kit is horrendously incorrect and poorly detailed. Have fixed most of the problems (or are in process anyway)

I am guessing the self leveling thinner works very similar to the retarder. Slows the drying a bit and helps it to have a smother surface.

Thanks for the info guys! I just wanted some confirmation of what I thought I had read someplace else.

Not having issues Tom, just not wanting to have issues. Have heard about this stuff and have been doing some major surface redo on my Messerschmidt 323. Has been a positive learning experience, but will need something to help smooth out all the green putty's little pits before paint. That kit is horrendously incorrect and poorly detailed. Have fixed most of the problems (or are in process anyway)

I am guessing the self leveling thinner works very similar to the retarder. Slows the drying a bit and helps it to have a smother surface.

Thanks for the info guys! I just wanted some confirmation of what I thought I had read someplace else.

Paul, the self leveling thinner is the cat's meow with Tamiya and Gunze acrylic paints but even so, I prefer to add a bit of Galeria retarder to the mix

I'm not sure what the surfacer is made of as it does not tell you on the bottle . I'm thinking more like lacquer as it does not react well to the lower alcohol products.
If the MrColor thinner is not enough to make it lay down, you know what to add.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back