• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 3, 1941

Didja now! My Impressed! Paint the boat white. The afterdeck is wood tan. Draw the winders on with a fine black Sharpie and be a Happy Guy with a finished SS Minnow model! :Drinks:
You already painted it. I'll see if I can locate it again tomorrow. Planning on spending the day out there anyway, grass is cut and chores are done and Cindy has plans that don't require my presence. Who knows, maybe some paint will be spread on something.

20220806_115620.jpg20220806_115626.jpg20220806_115641.jpg
Tiki Bar and Social Club box art is done. my usual instructions are spewing from the printer as we speak! The white sand beach in the picture is a torn sheet of sandpaper. Clever, No?!
Hobby Swap will have the first listing in a few minutes!

Addendum A to TLAR Tiki Bar instructions;
"STOP THE Presses! In a late breaking development, my friend and fellow ship modeler Carl Musselman of Back Aft Models has chosen to join the TLAR Micro Model Madness! See here Carl’s very intricate 1/700 boiler. Carl made this and wasn’t sure what to do with it.

I have an Idea!

I have his permission to include this in this kit. Such a thing could easily distill enough torpedo fuel to, well, Umm, Keep the PT Boat base torpedoes “fueled” ? See where I’m going with this?

If I told you it was for making moonshine liquor, some nice shiny new Ensign might get all worked up about Navy regulations and want to shut down this strategically critical piece of equipment.
Does the tank feed the boiler? Does the Boiler feed the tank? Where will you put such a thing to keep it out of sight? Won’t Old Leadbottom find out?

The answers to these and many other of Life’s persistent questions are up to YOU!"

20220808_094857.jpg20220808_094940.jpg
Lt. Henry (Robert) Montgomery, John F. Kennedy, Lt. Cmdr. Quentin McHale, Lt. Cyrus Taylor. These personalities run through my mind when I think about PT Boats. God alone knows what else will end up in these sets.

Lt. Henry (Robert) Montgomery, John F. Kennedy, Lt. Cmdr Quentin McHale, Lt. Cyrus Vance. These personalities run through my mind when I think about PT Boats. God alone knows what else will end up in these sets.
don't forget young Ens Jere Torrey :salute:

nice addition to the kit. :vgood:

20220812_193147.jpg20220812_193155.jpg
200-ton Drydock. Painted, weathered and flatted.
20220812_193237.jpg20220812_193256.jpg
Tank and Boiler for the Social Club set. Painted, weathered and flatted.
Such was my best efforts of Friday evening model making.
Thanks again for looking in again and again!
:capsmiley:
:oldguy:
:salute:

20220815_182116.jpg20220815_182042.jpg20220815_182033.jpg20220815_182014.jpg
These boats and nautical features are being molded as we speak. I ran out of RTV Activator, so I have to wait until my Reynolds Materials order arrives. The LCPL and LCPR with rubber UTD boat are for the Pontoon Floating Drydock PT boat Base accessory set.
I have NO idea what to do with all the islands. I upgraded the 1/700 USCG Island class WPB island.
The TLAR design team has been mute on their thoughts. :bang head:lol::frantic:

So often, you see a model ship on flat calm sea base, with no nautical scenery. If you want to show a vessel in motion, include something stationary? Like the clouds Howard Hughes waited for to shoot the flying scenes in Hells Angels.
Gotta have islands to get lost on.
It might be pretty hard to get lost on these dinky islands. :doh:
20220816_173950.jpg
Unless....................:Drinks:
Purely medicinal.

So, we we talking about the PT Boat base set and how it got out of hand with 5 kits to make it complete. I mused aloud that the Mios Woendi base in 1944 had about 1,000 tall palm trees populating the island and the base facilities might be mostly invisible because of the tree canopy.
It was Happy Hour. I had my second traditional beverage in my hand.
Do you know what my sweet little Teresa said to me?
"How long will it take you to make all the palm trees, then?" with a sly smirk.

ME!? The guy than can be derailed by the most obscure 1/700 idea? The guy that never gives up on a project even when a new "Squirrel" pops in to my lubricated wheels of creativity! AS if she didn't know me at all!:ph:

(I WILL finish my Dad's Mustang. AND the 1946 Graf Zeppelin German Navy aircraft carrier. AND Ernst Udet's HE-280T "Horrible Heinkel" 1946 Navy Night fighter. AND the P-67B McDonnell Moonbat night fighter. Maybe not today. :hmm:)

For just about one second I earnestly considered my little woman's question. I turned to answer her, I could see she was quaking with mirth, with her hand over her mouth. I SEE HOW IT IS! She continued to laugh uproariously at what she considered a very funny thing to do to me with my model-brain spinning up with ANOTHER new model idea!:bang head
Rotten little shit!

Internet to the rescue!! 1 inch palms are almost 60 scale feet tall. MisterArt is based in Houston Texas, So I bought me some! (No, not 1,000 of them! Silly.) Yay! More American made products!!
:tomato:I don't have to make things other already people do. Funny Wife! She continues to giggle at my discomfiture.
"How would you make all those? Would the trunks be separate from the fronds? It's a 'model', you put it together.":facepalm::smack:

Painting begins on kit 122C PT Boat Base Vehicles, Huts and Tents.
20220826_180234.jpg20220826_180243.jpg
An Australian C30 Chevrolet truck has been added to the list of teensy PT boat base trucks.
20220826_181009.jpg20220826_194422.jpg
An Opel Blitz German Army ambulance is also on Mios Woendi. Don't ask how the Opel truck got there. The new molds of the LCLP open top personnel boats worked just fine. The UDT LCPR with rubber raft for recovering US Navy frogmen cast nicely as well. Remember Monogram's 1/32 UDT boat kit? Like that, but MUCH smaller!

Most of the pictured boats go with the Pontoon drydock set. Almost any damaged small craft might be serviced and repaired by the resourceful sailors that work the 'dock.
The new box art and contents pictures will be revised with the full contents of the floating drydock kit.
Thanks for looking in again and again and again!
:capsmiley:
:oldguy:
:salute:

So, we we talking about the PT Boat base set and how it got out of hand with 5 kits to make it complete. I mused aloud that the Mios Woendi base in 1944 had about 1,000 tall palm trees populating the island and the base facilities might be mostly invisible because of the tree canopy.
It was Happy Hour. I had my second traditional beverage in my hand.
Do you know what my sweet little Teresa said to me?
"How long will it take you to make all the palm trees, then?" with a sly smirk.

ME!? The guy than can be derailed by the most obscure 1/700 idea? The guy that never gives up on a project even when a new "Squirrel" pops in to my lubricated wheels of creativity! AS if she didn't know me at all!:ph:

(I WILL finish my Dad's Mustang. AND the 1946 Graf Zeppelin German Navy aircraft carrier. AND Ernst Udet's HE-280T "Horrible Heinkel" 1946 Navy Night fighter. AND the P-67B McDonnell Moonbat night fighter. Maybe not today. :hmm:)

For just about one second I earnestly considered my little woman's question. I turned to answer her, I could see she was quaking with mirth, with her hand over her mouth. I SEE HOW IT IS! She continued to laugh uproariously at what she considered a very funny thing to do to me with my my model-brain spinning up with ANOTHER new model idea!:bang head
Rotten little shit!

Internet to the rescue!! 1 inch palms are almost 60 scale feet tall. MisterArt is based in Houston Texas, So I bought me some! (No, not 1,000 of them! Silly.) Yay! More American made products!!
:tomato:I don't have to make things other already people do. Funny Wife! She continues to giggle at my discomfiture.
"How would you make all those? Would the trunks be separate from the fronds? It's a 'model', you put it together.":facepalm::smack:

3D-SPLAT.gif
3D-Smile laughing.gif
3D-Rotflmao Lg.gif

Indeed! The Tiki Bar island should have at least one HUGE coconut palm! Point of navigation, perhaps? Shade for mariners conducting "business"? Treehouse look-out and ladder? Swivel guns? Scale 105mm recoilless rifle? (I made some). Pina Colada Day?

See what happens?! I do this to myself all the time.

20220831_163434.jpg
Teresa didn't care to be one-upped on the palm tree subject! (This picture was shamelessly staged.) These were a Buck each!
Service from MisterArt.com in Houston was brisk! Their website is loaded with model supplies and goodies a Guy can make use of!

20220921_150831.jpg20220921_105847.jpg20220921_115122.jpg20220921_140343.jpg
I am proud to introduce TLAR Models 1/700 PT Boat base accessory set 122D! I wasn't planning on adding any metal parts, but it seems fitting to include the radars and hoist pieces.
4 down, One more PT Boat base set left to finish painting and make instructions and box art for! :yipee:

Back