• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

More Scratchbuilding Masterclass

Have this book too, and i can really recomend it! full of tips and inspiration :)

One can never have too many ideas and fresh perspectives. Thanks for sharing!

:good:

Having trouble with construction of the Tamiya Fw 190A-3 (I had to use putty), this book should help me get to the next level. I hope it has a chapter on using aluminum. I have seen a lot of advanced modelers using aluminum (cut coke cans) for various parts. I like the idea and don't see brass solder as being strong enough. So I have ordered a TIG welder (tungsten electrode and an inert gas) running at nearly 1220ºF (660ºC). Already have a place for it right next to modeling desk. With "More Scratchbuilding Masterclass", the sky is the limit. Yep, expect some big things coming in the future.

Having trouble with construction of the Tamiya Fw 190A-3 (I had to use putty), this book should help me get to the next level. I hope it has a chapter on using aluminum. I have seen a lot of advanced modelers using aluminum (cut coke cans) for various parts. I like the idea and don't see brass solder as being strong enough. So I have ordered a TIG welder (tungsten electrode and an inert gas) running at nearly 1220ºF (660ºC). Already have a place for it right next to modeling desk. With "More Scratchbuilding Masterclass", the sky is the limit. Yep, expect some big things coming in the future.

In the past 15 years or so since I've been back into modeling as an adult, I've been amazed by the changes since my childhood.

But a TIG welder? You sir, have won. :D B)

You should check our pal Stoneboat though he works in beer can, not soda...

https://www.modelersalliance.org/forum/lets-be-civil/154227-rodent

Outstanding book, thanks for the announcement. Alex Clark posts regularly on the Missing Lynx Braille Scale Forums, so I get to see all this work firsthand. Still, his addition to this book can only enhance it. I'm glad he's in there.

I hope it has a chapter on using aluminum. I have seen a lot of advanced modelers using aluminum (cut coke cans) for various parts. I like the idea and don't see brass solder as being strong enough. So I have ordered a TIG welder (tungsten electrode and an inert gas) running at nearly 1220ºF (660ºC). Already have a place for it right next to modeling desk.

It doesn't. Darren Thompson does use sheet brass but no aluminum.

Regards,

I can't imagine welding aluminum as thin as a coke can. It would take a very low heat setting.

Sharkmouth updated More Scratchbuilding Masterclass with a new update entry:

Inside the Armour is Closing!

From a facebook posting, Chris announced the closing of his book publishing company:

"After 12 years, I have had to closed Inside the Armour Publications I will no longer be producing new books.

Sadly, ITAPubs never recovered from the effects of brexit, losing 60% of our sales overnight when the new customs regimes came in, and the business could not expand in the US and Asia due to spiralling shipping costs. I tried for 18 months, but I can no longer sustain it.

The next book, Heroyam...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Back