• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Monogram/Koster XP-72

jeaton01

Started on this as a fill in model while others have waiting time. The Koster parts are very good to work with. I followed Bill's directions and sprayed the vac sheets with a good grey primer, then went around the edges with a narrow felt pen. I scored around on the middle of the black line and then put a piece of 220 wet or dry on a glass surface and sanded until things looked right. Since it has been a fill in project I wasn't as good as I should have been about wip photos, but what's not shown is the process of putting together and installing a Black Box/True Details P-47M resin cockpit and Eduard seat belts/instrument panel. I put strips of plastic card in alternating spots on the fuselage halves and glued them together using the Tamiya resin glue in the hexagonal bottle. I am starting to like that glue, though the brush is a bit bigger than I like. There were resin parts for the contra rotating propeller, engine fan, and intercooler below the chin. This airplane was powered with the Pratt and Whitney R-4360 and unlike earlier Thunderbolts it did not have a GE turbocharger. Instead it had a second stage compressor mounted in the back where the turbo was earlier. The compressor was shaft driven from the engine. It had good altitude performance and reached 490mph during the test program. Only two were built, it was too late in the war to be needed.

0016p47.jpg

0026p47.jpg

I reinforced the cowl seams with .6 ounce fiberglass adhered with thin CA.

0036p47.jpg

The wing panel lines were scribed. The XP-72 had 6 guns arranged differently so gun ports were filled and the barrels modified. The inner gun port will be re-cut to match the location of the third.
0046p47.jpg

0056p47.jpg

I backed up the cooling fan with Aves Epoxysculpt, that gave me a lot more time to position the fan correctly. I tried it with gel super glue the first time. but somehow once it was cured I saw that it had deformed to opening of the cowl and I had to take it back out. Some careful Dremel work was successful but I hope I don't ever have to do that again. I put a brass tube in to hold the prop assembly.

0066p47.jpg

The cowl flap ducts which are located in positions similar to those on the FW-190A were opened up and plastic card was installed on the inside. I think the exhaust exited here but haven't found a close up to prove it.

0076p47.jpg

Last edited:
Didja use the Monogram cockpit on the conversion? "Koster Aero Enterprises. There's a name I've not heard in a long time."
Old ways are the best ways, don't you agree Obi-John? Jedi Master modeling at play here! :notworthy

The cowl flap ducts which are located in positions similar to those on the FW-190A were opened up and plastic card was installed on the inside. I think the exhaust exited here but haven't found a close up to prove it.

0076p47.jpg
The exhaust is probably the same place as the earlier P-47 just in front of the tail wheel. After all it had a supercharger placed in the belly of the plane.

That's awesome, can't you imagine these zooming around Korea instead of the mustangs?
I always thought the P-47 would have been a more durable, logical choice for Korean air support missions. Maybe North American Aviation had a "two-fer" sale for the USAF. Buy a Sabre, get a free Mustang!? :bm:

The exhaust is probably the same place as the earlier P-47 just in front of the tail wheel. After all it had a supercharger placed in the belly of the plane.
https://oldmachinepress.com/2018/03/05/republic-xp-72super-thunderbolt-ultrabolt-fighter/

Check this link, Paul, it is the best I have found. The XP-72 was designed to have a shaft driven supercharger in the tail, not a exhaust driven turbocharger. There is apparently some doubt as to whether either prototype had the unit actually installed. There is one photo that shows staining from exhaust aft of the cowl flap, and the article says it had ejector type exhaust stubs there. It's on the internet so it has to be right, right :oldguy:

Chris, I'll bet the pilots flying the Mustangs in Korea thought the same and wished the USAAF hadn't been so in much of a hurry to sell and scrap the Thunderbolts..

Chris, I'll bet the pilots flying the Mustangs in Korea thought the same and wished the USAAF hadn't been so in much of a hurry to sell and scrap the Thunderbolts..
Squadrons of long ranging P-47N's would have been useful indeed! No vulnerable radiator to worry about! No so unlike the Georgia Air Guard had. Our IANG had F-51's for a while too. I read your linkie and it answered almost every Superbolt question I could think of.
THEN...........
The sexy Republic XP-69 Rocket caught my eye. OOOooooohh!!! I wonder if there is a kit of such a craft.:bm:
No Rhino! No!!!:smack:
Jet Conversion? :bang head
Bad RHINO! NO! :batfacepalm:
US Navy version with a tailhook? :drool:
Oh NOW you ARE in trouble, Jar-Jar!:tomato:

I always thought the xp-72 was one sleek plane and how it would have done if it had seen action. Can't wait to see it in NMF.

Back